Hades (SuperGiant Games)

I kinda can’t stop playing this. Every time I sit down to play another game I end up firing up Hades first “just for a little bit” and before you know it there goes the gaming time. I have yet to make it out again, although I have come very, very close with the sword and the shield.

What? It’s the highest rated game on all of Steam? It’s that good?

I’ll have to try it when it comes to PS4.

EDIT: Huh, according to my research page, the highest rated game is:

Eh? Hades is a respectable seventeenth, but it’s no anime dating sim!

I was hooked the same way, though I’ve slowed down since I’ve seen most of the dialogue and skill combinations. Looking forward to the update.

The shield has been my most reliable weapon so far, and the spear my worst. I threw 15 titan bloods into the aspect of Guan Yu to sort of make it work, even then it wasn’t very good (though in one run I got the faster charge up + bigger spin hammers, along with chaos attack bonuses. Breezed through that playthrough.)

Woo, victory #2, this time with the shield, Aspect of Zeus.

Aaaand, of course I immediately leapt back in, this time with the Fists. Ok, ok, NO, quit for the night, go to BED…

Victory #3 out of 18 runs, just the run after my last one, this time with the fists. I must be getting the hang of this.

Ah, the Fists. There’s hardly anything as glorious as clobbering enemies after upgrading the Special with Poseidon’s boon, getting all Wall Slam damage upgrades, the Legendary (enemies getting shoved twice) and also improving the special with the Daedalus Hammer (either Kick or 200% charge boost). Ridiculously OP, but pure joy.

Grats! Once you unlock most of the mirror upgrades and learn the boss moves I think it’s possible to get a high win rate while progressing steadily on the pacts of punishment.

stupid question - the bounties on the pacts are not retroactive right? ie. I can’t skip to heat 10 and get all the previous rewards?

EDIT - looks like new update is in beta stream. Will wait for prod though.

I don’t think the pact works that way, no. If I set the heat higher than necessary (and to be honest I don’t really understand exactly how it works because I don’t care that much…yet) it tells me so and advises me to back off on it, which I interpret as meaning I won’t get anything extra for punishing myself more than I have to.

“I’ll just play a little Hades. A few rooms maybe.”

One point five hours, two complete runs and a victory (and an extremely close near victory) later:

“Ugh.”

Yassss.

I was like, uh is that Odin but I guess Charon is getting a new look? Very nice.

Downloading the update now for post-dinner consumption. At 7 GB certainly the biggest so far, but then again it’s been a few months since the last one.

https://www.supergiantgames.com/blog/hades-updates/

Highlights

New Boss Fight : see if you can find this dangerous new encounter, and reap the rewards
New Legendary Aspects : discover the hidden forms of the Bow , Shield , and Rail
New Foes and Mini-bosses : face the Wretched Sneak , Dracon , Doomstone , and more
New Boons & Upgrades : gain dozens of new powers, including Duo Boons for each Olympian pairing
New Goods in Stock : look for many new items from Charon and the House Contractor
New Art & Visual Effects : bask in the atmosphere, with newly added character models and animations
Expanded Story : experience new narrative events for nearly every single character in the game
Updated Code Base : our newly optimized game engine offers smoother performance for many players

I love this but unlike things such as Spelunky I just can’t get good at it. I’ve over 20 hours in and I have only gotten into the third… er, world? Biome? Whatever you call it like two times, and I almost never get past the second world (the hydra boss usually kills me). I wish there was an “old man” mode so I could have as much fun as I want to when I play this. :(

Oh man, I haven’t tried this game yet, but I hate hidden boss fights. I’m still wondering where the heck to find the big monster they added to the beginning of Dead Cells. He escaped through a giant hole in the wall and went to a world of lava where I can’t follow. I wish I could find things like that within the game without looking them up outside the game.

Just press all the buttons as fast as you can. That’s what I usually do.

The hammer sidegrades can radically change a run. I wish there was some way to get them consistently. I got one for the bow as soon as I left the house that let me just hold down the button and keep shooting but took away my power shot (which I don’t much like anyway), and that run I won, and it was 100% due to that.

This new patch is going to wreck my win ratio.

I’ve been tempted to switch to the advantage that lets you rereoll choices (as opposed to room) for that purpose…

There’s a “God Mode” in the settings:

(though I usually try to beeline for Athena’s dash, that’s half a god mode right there)