Half Life 3 confirmed

I kind of enjoy making my wrists look weird in the Star Trek game.

it is oddly amusing to drop the controllers and let them dangle via the wrist straps

That’s why Wiimotes were so fun to use.

Lol

I’m going to feel really dumb if that works.

-Tom

Have you tried making fists with your toes?

I’ve done that in stuff like Skyrim. It does help a bit. It’s also more immersive. But you’ll feel dumb doing it so that’s a bit of a wash.

My, as of today, 11 year old daughter (Happy birthday Mei!), always opines that I rarely set up the VR. Now that HL: Alyx was announced she has something to look forward to next year. Furthermore, since she had no idea of what Half Life is, I fired up HL2 and she started the campaign. She has rarely played shooters, let alone on a PC, so she briefly hands over the controls so I can get her out of a jam, before taking control of the action.

Very fun times. While HL gameplay got a bit tired by the end of Episode 2, it was smartly written and the tech holds up.

I already have a Quest but don’t have a gaming PC. Already planning to build one for this though. Fantastic trailer!

I believe he will be in Half Life Alyx , and lets hope that game does so damn well it leads to Half Life 3 VR.

That’s lovely, but I’ve had a copy of HL2 in my Steam account I’ve been trying to give away for at least a decade.

AMA
https://www.reddit.com/r/HalfLife/comments/esen9b/were_developers_from_the_halflife_alyx_team_ask/

Comment on the ‘visible arms’ thing from earlier

We don’t render arms due to our experiences with playtesting - briefly, we found that players themselves don’t notice them missing (spectators do, obviously), and they don’t like them obscuring their view.

We actually simulate invisible arms though, which connect from your hands back up to your HMD, and we use those to detect impossible things, like completely closing a drawer over your wrist.

We’re planning on releasing a video going into the tech behind our VR hands / interactions / etc, so there’ll be more on this soon.

3/23/20 , do we have a dedicated Alyx thread? I couldn’t find one.

For some reason @RichVR put it in EE.

:(

I clicked it anyway knowing what that link was for again.

Here you go. I made one for you.

Half Life 3 confirmed?!

Just read an article on the german PC Gamer site that argues that HL3 may indeed still be coming.

Well, their theory is based on a comment made by voice artist Michael Shapiro (who voices the G-Man) in this youtube video at 16:35.

He says he’s looking forwards to the new upcoming release (ie Alyx) & is exited for another major “blast from the past” announcement later in the year. Since he’s not involved in other Valve properties, the article speculates that he is thus hinting at HL3.

Guess we’ll just have to wait and see!

I have nothing new to add. Just stumbled upon this archive of late-90s Half Life press releases and thought some folks might be interested in reading them.

https://valvearchive.com/press-releases

“Sierra On-Line is thrilled to have the opportunity to publish Half-Life,” remarked Ken Williams, CEO of Sierra On-Line. “Valve’s enhancements to the Quake engine technology introduce gameplay and design elements that will thrust Half-Life to the forefront of first-person gaming. Gamers will agree that the results are nothing less than mind-boggling.”

“Our goal with Half-Life was to build the most exciting and technologically advanced game possible,” said Gabe Newell, co-founder and Managing Director of Valve. “When it came to selecting a publisher, it was very clear that Sierra was the most committed to leap-frogging the current generation of games and giving gamers a product that will be head and shoulders above anything else shipping this year.”

Valve’s prestigious development team is comprised of many well-respected names within the gaming community, including: 3D artist Chuck Jones, formerly with Apogee/3D Realms, where he was an artist and animator for Duke Nukem 3D, Rise of the Triad, Shadow Warrior and the Duke Nukem Plutonium Pack; game and level designer Harry E. Teasley III, former art director of Williams’ Doom for Sony Playstation; Tools Architect Ben Morris, creator of DCK (Doom Construction Kit) and WorldCraft; game designers Steve Bond and John Guthrie, creators of the Quake Airplane and Quake Kart; and level designer Dario Casali, one of the world’s best-known deathmatch level designers, including those found on id Software’s Final Doom.

Half-Life, on PC CD-ROM, is scheduled to ship in November, 1997 and will be available at most software retailers, as well as through Sierra Direct at (800) 757-7707.