Halo Infinite - What is it?

Read the room better next time, 343

Not everything needs to be a battle royale, part 15

LSS isn’t really big enough to truly capture the dynamics of a BR. There is a heavily rumoured “real” BR mode coming that sounds like it might take place on the actual single-player map.

Local split-screen co-op cancelled. We will be talking for years about what a huge debacle Halo Infinite was. It’s just astounding how badly this has been managed. I think what’s still shocking is that they just haven’t ever given the impression that they’ve righted the ship.

Cyberpunk was a huge mess at launch too, but it’s been slowly, quietly, improved. People either aren’t talking about it, or they’re talking about things that have gotten better. Even if it’s in small ways, even if the game never wins back people who were turned off at launch, they didn’t just keep finding new ways to screw it up. Halo Infinite has never turned that corner.

Man, they blew it.

It’s the flagship franchise and studio of a company with basically unmatched resources, and they’ve shipped three disappointing products in a row.

How the hell heads haven’t rolled is beyond me.

Heads finally starting to fall

Wait, ‘axios’? Did she typo ‘adios’?

Goddamn. I’m surprised it took this long for Ross to get ousted.

15 years? So under her I guess we got:
Halo 3 (2007)
Halo Wars (2009)
Halo 3 ODST (2009)
Halo Reach (2010)
Halo 4 (2012)
Halo: Spartan Assault (2013)
Halo: Spartan Strike (2015)
Halo 5: Guardians (2015)
Halo Wars 2 (2017)
Halo Infinite (2021)

Not a bad run. I’d never heard of Spartan Strike until I looked that up.

That’s a bunch of good games! Plus Halo 4. I tip my hat to Bonnie and wish her luck.

343 didn’t develop Halo 3, ODST, or Reach. In 2007, Bungie went independent, but still worked with Microsoft to develop the games for the Halo franchise. The Halo IP stayed with Microsoft, and 343 Studios was established to oversee it, but in the beginning that meant overseeing Bungie’s development of those first three shooters on your list.

So not that Bonnie wasn’t there in some capacity for H3, ODST, and Reach, but it’s a little misleading to lump those games in with what followed.

I would assign the credit or blame as you feel appropriate for the Halo franchise to 343 and Ross beginning with Halo 4.

On one hand, a lot of Halo Infinite was dumb and failed to meet its potential.

On the other hand… grappling hook is pretty much the coolest thing in any halo game.

Engine lead at 343 apparently leaving as well. I suppose the responsibility for no split-screen coop ultimately falls on him?

According to this thread, he’s been at the company for 25 years. Maybe he’s just tired of it or is retiring? I doubt a 25-year veteran would get fired or managed out because a promised feature didn’t materialize:

I hope they don’t close the loophole way to play coop splitscreen.

I suspect that Infinite is doomed and that 343 (with tis new leadership) will want to start fresh with a new game

That would be pretty crazy if they switched to Unreal for the next game.

Blood Gulch is in!

I’ll have to check in with my friends to see if they want to check it out.