Hardspace: Shipbreaker, blue collar space sim about salvage

Purchased. Installed. We shall see.

I’m not normally a fan of time limits, but I haven’t minded them so much in this game. It makes me plan a little more. I try to take ships with multi day work orders so I can spend the first shift stripping away the structure and the next carefully removing the important parts. Though making shift time limits adjustable and optional is of course a great idea.

My Shipbreaking career in a single image.

Big thumbs up in front of a growing electrical fire.

I just rage quit after the fucking umpteenth I shot something into another thing which exploded because the button for “BANG THIS SHIT AND PLEASE MAKE EVERYTHING BLOW UP THANK YOU” is the same button as “please grab the thing”. Press “F” to pay respect to explosions.

Today’s patch

Made major improvements to UI scaling in support of non-1920x1080 resolutions including 4k and 21:9 ultra wide resolutions.

They also " Added Leaderboard data for campaign leaderboard."

Someone has blown up eight reactors and gone through 22 clones. Which makes me feel better.

Also, also… I learned today that now reactors start to melt down the second you pull the last coolant tank out. I like that, but it tripped me up as I used to pull all the coolant on shift one of working with the big ships.

Now you need to accept that pulling the reactor is going to vent some coolant, or you need to clear a fast route from ECU to reactor, pull the final tank and then move fast.

I tabbed back to this post without realising at first it was about Shipbreaker, and was very confused for a moment as I thought it was one of our military posters talking about their service.

Damn it that was my method too

They’re seriously making this game harder?

Could they turn this into a competitive game with a ladder or leaderboard?

It has a challenge mode in the main menu, it’s just greyed out for now. So it’s coming.

For me, it’s fun for a while, but ultimately I feel it’s about half a game with the countdown from a billion about as bleak as a motive as you can get. I think there should be a way for you to spend that money…I dunno, maybe building your own ship or something.

Of course, if you gave me my +9 wand of wishing, CCP(eve) or Frontier(elite dangerous) would partner with them allowing you to deconstruct ships in that world and earning you credits in them.

I like that idea.

Thinking about it some more, i think a better, but realistic in scope (unlike something like partnering with frontier), idea would be to have 3 or 4 ships arrive every game day and have the player bid on them (against AI) for the salvage rights. Then you have the game day(whatever that is) to extract what you can and try to make money over your salvage bid (plus dock/equipment rental, etc). Additionally, the ships could come in at various states, from pristine, to extensively battle damaged and so there’d be a ‘value rating’ (assuming prestine) that you could use to determine your bid. Like a 10M cruiser, that had substantial battle damage might only get a 2M bid. Finally, there could exist ‘secret’ value in ships like a smuggler having undetected cargo, or a combat vessel having an experimental weapon, that could reward detailed-oriented salvagers.

I still don’t have any idea about what to do with your money, but for some reason I find the thought of accumulating wealth to be more interesting that the thought of reducing debt…

I think that also sets up friend challenges and leaderboards very well - so for a daily quest, for example, we’d all bid on the same ship and see who made the most money (there’d have to be some cutoff to prevent lowball bids, ie, bids below a certain value(unspecified) will be rejected)

As an alternate mode, perhaps. Not as the main one, imo. Don’t remember how much of the story content is in the game yet.

You don’t find the thought of climbing out of a $billion debt depressing and/or futile?

Not a fan of bidding mechanics, though I appreciate where it could fit thematically.

It is. The whole setting is garbage though. I hope the devs just throw it all in the trash and focus on making a salvage game with pleasant progression.

With just a light retheming these same mechanics could give a mulitpolar world of salvage companies / freelancers each progressing through these tech trees with far more pleasant sinks than the current game currencies have to offer.

Oh they should also trash the CorpBucks secondary currency, not least because it takes away another excuse for whatever the hell they are doing with the SpaceBucks.

I say so because I love :) Its already a fun game but could be oh so much better if they reworked the game economy.

Or it’s just another roguelike? So play it that way until they fix it?

This is fake and my attempt at satire:

I dunno, the more i think about it, the more this game distresses me.