Have you planned to buy a PS Vita?

Flash sale this weekend, $10 each for Epic Mickey 2, God of War Collection, Street Fighter x Tekken, or The Sly Collection.

Chaos Rings Trilogy - Every single game in the series will come as a remastered collection for the Vita. I know it was already released on the IOS but I think it’ll really hit its stride over at the Vita.

I’m tempted by the Sly Collection (Sly Cooper 1, 2, 3 from the PS2 together) for the Vita for $10 this weekend. (Only briefly played Sly 1 on PS2, and didn’t like it, but I heard Sly 2 and 3 were a lot better, plus my friend worked at Insomniac during the development of those two, and I promised him back then that I’d eventually get around to trying them).

Unfortunately, it’s 6.1GB, and I only have a 4GB card. So far I’ve been very happy with the 4GB card. It forces me to try games one at a time, finish them (or decide they are not worth continuing), and then move on to the next game. But if I purchase this, it will mean getting a new memory card, which seems excessive considering I haven’t yet found a game on the Vita that I really enjoy yet, except for Limbo, which is a game that I’m playing for the third time by the time I got to it on the Vita.

So if I get Sly Collection, I’m committing to the Vita long term I guess, really investing in the system. Looking up current prices, it looks like the 64GB card is $100 on Amazon, which is horribly overpriced, and yet, at the same time, the best price on a dollars/GB basis.

I’ve heard the Sly collection is separate downloads, so you might be okay.

Last black friday the 32gb cards were 40$. I’ll be grabbing one of them if that sale comes around again.

I’m at the same point with my 8GB card, and I’m also considering a 64GB card. There’s some weirdness with memory card swapping on the Vita, right? Like I have to shut the unit completely down before swapping? Is there anything odd about storing the same game on multiple memory cards?

Just sold my Vita. Know me before you judge me. :(

On the bright side, PS4 here I come!

How much did you get for it? Was it to someone you knew, or to Gamestop? How much does Gamestop offer for it?

I sold it for $220 on the NZ-equivalent of Ebay. We have EB Games (I think that’s the same as Gamestop?) but I haven’t walked into one for years since I’m primarily a PC guy.

I have kept thinking about getting rid of mine as well. I like the system just haven’t invested in games the way I thought I would with the ipad taking most of my gaming time.

Got my Playstation TV today.

• It’s tiny.
  • Stuck my old 4GB vita memory card in there and tried out Thomas was Alone (local native vita game). Worked fine.
  • Paired up with my dualshock 4 without issue. This means no more compromises as far as controls go when streaming from the ps4.
  • 720p/1080i max resolution so it seems a bit comically low res for a streaming box. Everything is gigantic on 720p in the menus. In game it’s not so bad.
  • Streaming Shadow of Mordor over gigabit ethernet on both ends. It’s about as smooth as you can hope for but for a game like this I think it’s very sensitive to input lag. I’m not sure why but the input lag feels worse than the vita. Maybe it’s the added extra ms lag that happens when going through a receiver and to an HDTV. I’ll try it on a different TV later tonight when I move it to it’s permanent home. At least it looks and sounds good though.
  • Tried velocity 2X for a bit over streaming and it felt quite a bit better though the input lag is still noticeable but not nearly as bad.
  • There are barely any apps right now, not even netflix. I think there are like five and I only recognized crunchy roll.

Thanks for the impressions. I assume it also supports wifi - have you tried evaluating the remote play performance over that considering you must have been doing so before on your vita?

Apparently Netflix is actively blocking their app from working on PSTV and they say they aren’t going to change that. Real shitty. Hulu+ doesn’t work now either, but Hulu says they are working to get it enabled.

Why would Netflix block the app? It works on the PS3 and the Vita just fine.

I may be behind the times, but what reason would they have to block paying customers from accessing their content?

God only knows, but if you install the Netflix app for Vita on a PlayStation TV and try and run it it just refuses to work. I don’t use it on Vita enough to remember how the button controls are so maybe Netflix just doesn’t want to bother updating it for better controller navigation?

I’d think Sony would have made sure the most used streaming service around would work. I mean this thing is basically just a Vita without the screen.

Yeah, there’s actually now some conflicting info from Netflix. Someone on NeoGAF posted a conversation with Netflix support who disputed the previous statement that had been given to Engadget.

Played around with the ps tv a bit more:

• I power cycled all my network equipment and switches just in case.
  • FYI, I did update the firmware to latest (first thing I did after initial setup).
  • There are some framerate issues. I’m not sure if it’s just the bigger screen so it’s more noticeable or because the client is rendering out to 720p vs whatever the vita screen resolution is but it’s quite noticeable. Think chromecast when casting a tab (but not quite that bad but you get the idea). I have resolution set on auto so I need to double check to see if it’s using 720p. I’ll try forcing 1080i and even 480p later tonight to see if that makes a difference.
  • The input lag feels closer to say 80-100ms. < 40ms = local for me and > 130ms = modern hdtv’s NOT on game mode. So it’s definitely noticeable but depending on the game it has a different impact. I played some Tomb Raider definitive edition and it was pretty playable except you have a bit less time to react to QTEs. TD on cod ghosts was a bit of a mess. The reduced framerate makes aiming a bit jerky combined with the increased input lag makes this a pretty horrible experience.
  • I think it supports up to 2 controllers.
  • It has 1 GB of internal storage but as soon as I popped in the 4 GB vita memory card it basically disables the internal memory. So you can only use one or the other but not both.

Yeah, not sure who this device is targeted for. If the streaming performance was better I would probably pick up a few more to sprinkle around the house. If you want to play vita games then you really should just get a vita which has full app support. Right now I can’t really recommend this little box for anything really. Having full dualshock 4 support is rather awesome though. I have my fingers crossed that maybe forcing 480p output will improve things overall. I’ll trade resolution any day if I can smooth out the framerate and responsiveness.

What is odd thinking back to when I tried sniper elite 2 on playstation now during closed beta using the ps4 as the client THAT experience felt better than streaming locally to the ps tv. It almost feels like the ps tv doesn’t have enough juice to be a proper client at the given output resolution. I’ll also test the ps tv on wifi just for completeness though I don’t see how wifi is going to beat out gigabit ethernet.

interesting read:

Here’s the interesting aspect though - re-running the latency test to measure the amount of time between the same frame being rendered on PS4 and PlayStation TV still produces a lacklustre six-frame deficit: 100ms. The difference is that the lurches in response are significantly reduced. Moving from a wireless to a wired connection simply gives us the fastest speed possible from the hardware and consistency in the transmission and reception of data.

HAH! My off the cuff latency spidey senses are working well. They measured 100ms.

That’s a shame about the input lag. It’s sort of surprising that they let the experience be compromised that much by the hardware, given that Steam’s service is working so much better.

I was really excited about the PSTV, but now I don’t see a point for it.

I thought the point of the PSTV was to be able to play your Vita games on the big screen? It can do that right? So how is the Uncharted Golden Abyss or whatever it was called while playing it on the big screen?