Hey, how can I get Discourse to do X?

I once worked through the first 40 or 50 pages of the Crusader Kings II post when I decided I would learn to play that game. And then. . . I didn’t!

(I’m an idiot)

Also, correct me if I’m wrong on this @wumpus/@Clay/etc., but on the Discourse Test Bed Clay setup, we had a lengthy discussion regarding posting to a thread which you have not read all of while still “midway through” the post. Specifically, the discussion centered around how doing so was erroneously changing a user’s “Last Read” marker to the bottom of the thread immediately when they replied, and I seem to recall people talking about that having been fixed.

I just replied to wumpus here in this thread while about 5-6 posts from the bottom, and it immediately drug my screen down to the bottom of the post to show me my reply (Hey, how can I get Discourse to do X?). Did that “break” my Last Read marker as we complained about previously, or has that behavior genuinely been corrected in Discourse now.

Saving my post for posterity, but this function is controlled in User Settings, and I’d forgotten about the need to set it. Look down near the bottom, if you’re curious about that.

Yes, the bug related to that was already fixed. If you want that “don’t jump me to the end after I post” behavior, enable it in your user prefs.

So how do I get Discourse to behave exactly like Vbulletin :-). I hate change.

I can’t seem to access my user profile or preferences on mobile theme on Chrome/Android 4.4.4

Weird. I can get to my profile and your profile in the Chrome mobile emulator and on iOS mobile safari.

Got it–Tom had updated my username (to omit the _), and the Chrome instance I was in hadn’t updated itself. No amount of refreshing did it, either, but closing out the instance of it (ugh, what are the new Chrome self-contained page-instances called? Not Chrome Pages, right?) and restarting entirely did the trick.

Hey @tomchick, do you want to make the first post of this thread a wiki post so people can collate answers to commonly asked questions and it can serve as a reference point for Discourse functionality?

Keyboard shortcuts! There are many! Also available in the hamburger menu, fyi.

For a Chrome extension that gives you a dark background, try Dark Reader. Gives an attractive color scheme (white on black, with blue highlights.

Excellent idea, although I’m not sure how that’s going to work in practice. But the first page is a wiki now, which I think means 9/11 Truthers can get in there and edit stuff until moderators step in and lock the page. That’s how wikis work, right?

-Tom

My read counter is all screwed up. It thinks I have thousands of unread messages in topics I follow, as it looks think I last visited Qt3 about 20 days ago.

Please tell me there’s a “Mark all as read” function so I can just reset it all and start reading from today forward?

@Editer refer second post in thread

While testing on iOS I discovered that browser content blockers can interfere with the forum controls. BlockBear caused the search/menu/profile icons in the upper right to disappear. No problem, just add a whitelist for quartertothree.com (which Tom wants us to do anyway, for the front page!).

Is there a single-click option to see both new and unread threads in one list? It’s mildly annoying to have two separate lists.

Is it possible to change the way pinned posts display, at least on mobile, so they just show the thread title instead of the first few lines? As it is now, it means going to the Games forum will always involve scrolling more than a full screens worth just to get to the unpinned topics.

Very low priority request, but just curious.

I click on Latest. That’s the best view.

Seconded.[quote=“WhollySchmidt, post:59, topic:119996, full:true”]
Is it possible to change the way pinned posts display, at least on mobile, so they just show the thread title instead of the first few lines? As it is now, it means going to the Games forum will always involve scrolling more than a full screens worth just to get to the unpinned topics.

Very low priority request, but just curious.

[/quote]

Another non-urgent request. Replying to a thread on Android opens Lastpass’s login dialogue. It would be nice if it didn’t. I’m not sure it’s possible to disable it client side without disabling actual login functionality for qt3.

The Latest view seems to be pretty much equivalent to the old option to look at everything since my last visit. Although if you scroll down far enough, I suppose you’d get stuff from before the last visit, too.

I miss the option to look at everything new since my last visit, open whatever looks interesting in a new tab, and then with one click mark everything else as read. But I’ll get used to the new way.