Hey, how can I get Discourse to do X?

There is a pinned control at the bottom of the pinned thread. In the same area where you set the tracking.

Wendelius

Just clicking the pin itself worked, awesome!

Now, if only I could show… 6? threads per forum.

:)

I recently posted a picture in the 20:20 name game thread and for some reason it retained the original name I had given it. So when you click on it you can see what I had named it, which became an issue because I had included most of the movie title in the file name. I tried to rename the local file and re-upload but for some reason it retained the name I had originally given it.

I ended up deleting my original post, changing the uploaded picture slightly, and then reposting with the new file name. However, although I have uploaded other pictures without the local file name being displayed, this one still shows the file name I gave it when you click on it.

Here’s a link to the post

What did I do wrong? 😁

I can’t remember if someone already asked this, it seems like I might’ve already read an answer so apologies if this is a repeat.

On mobile, is there a way to change my notification settings for a thread without jumping to the bottom of the thread?

I want to stop tracking some threads for now, but I don’t want to lose the place where I stopped reading them for when I return later.

Adding to this: is there a way to mute forums on mobile? I had to enable desktop view to scroll down to the mute button.

To mute without scrolling to the bottom; I use the button that floats on the right side of the messages. Though the icon is a blue dot rather than an exclamation point on my iPad for some reason.

Click on the pic to see the icon in the lower right more clearly.

I do not read on a mobile phone so not sure if the icon can be viewed on a smaller screen.

The images are stored using a filename based on a hash (or fingerprint) of the binary content, so as long as you upload the “same” image, it’ll continue to use the same file.

Yes I realized that after trying to rename it a couple of times and that’s why I took a new screenshot eventually so that the contents would be slightly different. But in both cases the file name that I had assigned it was being displayed when I hovered over the picture. This wasn’t the case in previous picture uploads and so I was wondering what I had done differently this time.

That’s pretty cool. I know a lot of message board littered with the same image over and over again, and those are just the sites the discourage hot-linking.

Ah, that’s not there out to the side on mobile, it’s at the bottom. Oh well, not the end of the world.

How do I get discourse to stop nagging me to create an account? I say “no, thanks” every time I visit the site (because I already have one), but it keeps on reminding me when I stop by to see what folks are saying. . Now that I have a secure password I need to look up every time I log in, I only what to do that when I want to post. :)

Sounds like you really want

I use lastpass on my mobile which saves me a bit of this hassle and Google login on sites that allow

It should remember the dismissal per browser though, is that not the case

Thanks for your earlier reply, @wumpus. I’ll answer my own question: It appears that a change was made to picture uploads so that the local file name is displayed when you hover over or click on the picture.

So, if anyone is playing the 20:20 movie game don’t be a silly monkey and include the movie name in your picture 🙉

I have P & R muted but it is showing up in my Unread. I double checked to make certain it is still muted and it is. Why would anything show up in Unread (it was not before today).

Maybe you posted in that thread before. Go into the topic in question and make sure you aren’t set to watch it.

When @Wumpus and co set/unset the Front Page category to be muted/unmuted, they also broke everyone’s forum muting options. Hopefully it was a one off.

Yes, unfortunately it looks like that happened again. Apologies, we shouldn’t need to issue any category mute overrides for the forseeable future now that #front-page is all done.

Thanks, Everyone!

I had an issue with the “hide details” collapse function in that post.

Works here. Not there. What am I doing wrong :(
Edit: Seems there is a problem with a stack of “hide details” command being buffered somewhere. It increments each time I try to use it from the drop down menu.
Edit 2: It somehow reset itself by editing this post, and I was able to finally post it as intended. I have tried to reproduce it but it seems the bug is gone.

Is this the right place for technical help? If so…

When using Safari in OS X, some threads, such as the Space Game Junkie thread, download a twitch swf file every time I open them. It seems to do this if there is a Twitch link anywhere in the thread, even if it is not recent. Is there a way to prevent this, or is this just a Safari quirk? Thanks.