Hey, how can I get Discourse to do X?

Yep. It’s been like that for quite a while on my OnePlus 5. I just got into the habit of using the keyboard enter key rather than try and press the magnifying glass.

Not sure if it’s been reported or not… I think so. Regardless, there appears to be a bug where if an ignored user is the last to post in a thread, Discord doesn’t render anything below the last post (no other threads to read, etc.)

Please report bugs like that on the meta forums, they are very receptive to actual bugs.

Within the past several days for a week, when I reply to a post I immediately jump to the end to my response. In the past I stayed at my current position in the thread. Has anything changed? Any ideas how I can get it back to it’s prior behavior?

Yes, they changed that on purpose and get very upset when anyone suggests they preferred the old behavior.

Here’s the post where you can complain and be told you’re wrong for liking it that way ;)

Wow, I can’t understand how they think that is better.

You should tell them that, Pod, Rock8man, and I made great progress, maybe you’ll convince them.

Heh.

This really does suck. I lost my reading spot!

I suggest moving off Discourse at your earliest possible opportunity.

Guess who?

I just don’t understand what’s so hard about allowing people to customize already existing behaviors. If you’d need to add entirely new code, sure, that’s an ask. A toggle for something that already worked? c’mon.

Me?

Was it me?

Cuz god it’d be nice to be back on real forum software!

Well it’s only fair to explain why he’s got that position. He believes, so strongly that he doesn’t want communities that don’t believe in this to use Discourse, that you should always read all the way down to the last post, read the topic, before replying.

My disagreement there isn’t so much about the belief so much as completely misunderstanding on how humans communicate. In natural conversations, in person… this is not done either.

It’s almost like trying to turn every casual conversation into a presentation where you wait for all questions until the end… whereas a lot of communities are back and forth, disjointed.

Discourse is the best thing that’s happened to this forum software wise.

It is real forum software. Constantly maintained. Features get added regularly (and sometimes removed, as we’ve seen. But I’ll take that trade off). And its layout is responsive.

Shortly before the move, I could barely read or post on the forum because longer commutes and work days meant I could only do so in the move. And the old software was a piece of shit when it came to that.

I’m glad to be able to spend more time on it thanks to Discourse.

In other words, I seem to be your polar opposite. :)

Thanks to constant harping and more than a few hacks by our members and admins, Discourse has become essentially usable for me, but I still find it a pretty miserable moment-to-moment experience. To each their own, though. . . even if only one of us is right ;-)

haha, end-users always bitch about the old system right up until they get a new one and then forget all about that bitching. We’re no different. Rose colored glasses look fondly back on legacy systems all the time.

I just think this specific position doesn’t take into account the less formal nature of a lot of communities on forums.

I like it a lot, particularly the mobile experience which is first class, but it’s open-source, and like all open-source projects, the devs work on what they find interesting and follow their own vision as to the future of the software. If you have a different vision you’re welcome to submit a patch or fork it, otherwise you can fuck right off.

That’s frustrating, but then again it is free.

Discourse is hands-down the best forum software I’ve ever interacted with. There’s nothing I’d rather use. Link previews, reply previews, mobile accessibility, drag-and-drop images, highlight-and-quote, robust and fine-grained tracking controls, etc etc.

I really like Discourse; it’s made reading and writing easier here, on a few other forums that have adopted it, and on a bunch of small forums that wouldn’t have started otherwise. That last bit is really important because ease for both administrators and users is the only way for independent communities to survive Facebook et al.

You can always just start a private subreddit, that’s what most people do. But you give up a lot of control and of course while Reddit is no Facebook, it is a largely faceless corporation.