Hitman III - Hat trick of Death

I’ve not played any of the 2016+ Hitman games and would like to start the trilogy from the beginning. The question is, which game do I buy first?

There are so many different versions and it is ridiculously confusing which one to buy. I definitely want to play Hitman 1 (2016). I want to be able to carry over my progress through to Hitman 3 if I decide to play through the entire trilogy. Ideally I want access to all the content (I see there are multiple expansions and a myriad of DLC).

Any suggestions from QT3?

For a new player, the simplest is just to buy Hitman 3 and get the older levels via DLC. Get the H1 and H2 DLC packs and then start from the H1 levels. All in one executable, simple!

Are you on PC? If so, for a few more days H1 DLC is free and H2 DLC is 80% off on Epic.

On consoles, maybe you can save some money by getting the old games and redeeming and carrying over, but as you can see, it’s kind of a hassle.

For the really patient player, I suppose we’ll get some small DLC during the next year and a half, maybe a full extra level or two. After that, I expect IOI to re-release the full trilogy in one definitive package as a final victory lap.

EGS gives HItman 1 dlc for free and has Hitman 2 dlc at 80% discount, so I guess that’s your best choice.

Got it - thanks guys :)

Be careful though, as I’ve read that first-time players are having later events spoiled. After playing through the Hitman one tutorial, the game apparently jumps forward to the recap video at the start of three, which reveals all the twists that happened so far. Be prepared to hit that skip button!

Hitman 3 is new (and so obv. expensive). I didn’t want to fork out so much cash without even knowing if I’d enjoy the game. So I looked for the next cheapest, most complete option.

If anyone else is in the same position as me, wanting to start from the beginning and wondering what to buy here’s what I ended up doing:

Steam
Hitman 1 (GOTY Edition) Steam key: 10 GBP
Hitman 2 (Gold Edition) Steam key: 10 GBP
Total: 20 GBP
(Gets you Hitman 1 and 2 content inside Hitman 2 engine)
In depth info: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1580201161

Good choice. If you’re just starting out no reason to pay alot of money, you have got ALOT of great content there that hasn’t aged at all. Enjoy!

Agreed. I think you paid the same price for both as it would cost to add them onto H3. Nice find.

For some reason the free unlock for Hitman 1 GOTY isn’t showing up on Xbox for many folks. Triggering the install from the web works though. Here’s the link for anyone who needs it.

I finished my first playthrough of the maps, and overall I’m really happy with them. I’ll avoid anything that could be considered a major spoiler, but only one of the six was disappointing and felt like something leftover from Absolution, though I suppose it works in the overall context of the story. There’s one or two that offer quite a novel twist, that were brilliant on my first time through, but I don’t know how they’ll hold up on future playthrough when you know the potential outcomes. There’s a couple of levels are as good as anything I’ve ever experienced in Hitman (some of the setups for the hits are simply devilish!).

Be warned that unlike the previous games, some of the stories and objectives are untracked, so don’t freak out when there’s fewer stories to follow this time around. IO apparently wanted to make some of the possibilities feel more organic, which helps mix things up. Love the new Dark Souls-style persistent shortcuts you can unlock. It allows you to expedite your murderous plans without having to suffer through a repetitive areas to reach the main stage for the hit.

A huge shame the DLC won’t offer any new maps, as IO are the best level designers in the business. :(

Where did they confirm they won’t make any new maps? I didn’t know they had already announced their DLC plans.

As an aside, I did the carry over process and it worked fine. “Almost” perfect… three items were missing, but that seems to be the case for most players and they’re working on it.

In a Eurogamer feature from a few weeks back:

There’ll also be post-launch support, though unlike previous games this won’t be new areas and rather a repurposing of those being offered up in Hitman 3.

Nice! I’m trying to be patient. Still haven’t been able to connect online at all.

Well IOI got back from their weekend of rest and decided to fix the sever problem that was preventing thousands of players from playing their game. I have just now been able to get online for the first time.

Hmm, repurposing? I hope they’re going to be total reconversions like the H1 “Bonus Maps”, not a new target vaguely thrown in the same level like H2’s “Special Assignments”.

Alright, so I’ve played a bit now and I’d give Hitman III a score of 4 out of 5 “Huh, must be rats or something”.

I think they’ve really nailed their formula, almost to laser-like precision. The H3 levels are some of the best in the entire trilogy which they started five years ago. I think they really nailed the right size for levels: complexity is good, but more isn’t necessarily better. No more “4 targets plus some extra stuff for you to do.” The new maps mostly top out at two targets plus an extra objective and I think they all gain from it in terms of focus. It goes without saying that some of the kills are delightfully creative and original.

Then again, while it is great content, H3 has probably the least amount of content in the trilogy. H1 had 7 maps, plus 3 bonus versions. H2 had, eh… 7,5 maps, plus introduced multiplayer Ghost Mode, plus 3 Sniper Maps, single and multiplayer. H3 cuts all multiplayer and has, let’s say 5,5 maps. It has VR on PS which is apparently excellent, but I don’t really care about that. On the other hand, if you’re playing the trilogy now as one package the math doesn’t really matter. Plus, we don’t know what kind of post-release content is around the corner.

What I really don’t like is that they dropped the ball on giving the players a cool arsenal to carry over from mission to mission. It’s a gamer nerd dream of mine of having your stuff carry from game to game in a series. Imagine if you could have one big remixed old-school Mega Man where you carry boss weapons from another game? Meta Man!

So technically the dream has come true now. Sort of. As I said elsewhere, most of the unlocks from H1 and H2 are kind of pointless. The open-ended nature of the levels puts limits on what you can give the player, but even then the whole thing is disappointing. H3 is even worse in that regard… almost all the new items are reskins. They didn’t bring back the “hideout” feature most other games had where you could look at your wall of weapons. It would just make sense here where you have half a decade’s worth of guns and suits built up. They added a bolt-action rifle BUT there isn’t even an animation for operating the bolt between shots. WTF? Some new items don’t even have their perks displayed correctly despite being reskins. Now that’s just pathetic. But hey, the dream came true, right?

If it sounds like I’m being harsh on the game while giving it a good score, there’s a good reason for that. For one, I can see the quality on display despite the nerd quibbles. Plus, I have to give full points to Hitman for one thing: it’s a game that’s about what it’s about, i.e. stealth. Social stealth, which is Hitman’s own subgenre. In fact, it’s probably the last game of its kind. Unlike, say, another game about assassins that’s now a collectathon with town building, ship sailing, RPG loot, brawling…

So all in all, I really respect that they made three pure stealth games, a relatively niche genre, integrated them in a single executable, and all despite going through the company restructuring and COVID. Kudos.

H2 launched with 5.5 maps and one sniper map. The other 2 regular maps and 2 more sniper maps were DLC content.

And now that I’ve gotten into the game, I finally completed my SA playthrough of the Dubai mission, including unlocking the whole map. (It took me two sweeps through the tower to find the damn security camera recorder.) It’s really nice to be back in IOI’s little pocket worlds. I forget how well populated the levels are, with all sorts of things going on and great little details to make them believable.

Yeah, they really did try to shake up how the levels work in each mission here. It’s really well thought out. Dartmoor, Berlin, and Chongqing have all been great so far. And really visually lively.

IOI reiterates that they’re looking to do different things with old locations instead of new locations.

“We are definitely going to be doing some DLC, but we haven’t defined what that is,” Large explained. "I think for now we are not looking at new maps like the bank and the island.

“We’re more looking at using existing locations and reimagining them, twisting them. And this time around, we can use the whole trilogy. We can look back at Hitman 2016 maps, Hitman 2 maps - we have all the locations.”

Disappointing.

A little, but if they can do more stuff like The Icon, which totally changed the Sapienza level and made it into something completely different by changing the time of day and introducing a whole mess of new props, I’m all for it.

So I already had Hitman 1 and 2 but not all of the content. A few days ago I load it up and see that I’m missing for DLC. It would cost me $50 to fill out my collection. I then took a look at Epic, and saw I could get all of everything for $20 on top of Hitman 3.

Now I have it all! Only dabbled in H1 before so starting from scratch.