Hogwarts Legacy - WB makes a full AAA RPG for Harry Potter

Can you remap the buttons? Obviously I’ll just check when I get home, but it occurred to me that I really hate block being Y. I’d gladly swap Y and LB so it matches what most games do. My brain can’t handle change.

I do like the new irish character Potato McHatesnakes

If you are on xbox I know you can use the accessory app to remap buttons but I haven’t looked into remapping in game yet.

fwiw I set up a fundraiser for The Trevor Project on my stream. Feel free to release your guilt that way if you like ;) (I get nothing from it)

Really quite enjoying my time with this game. However, Hogwarts is huge and I really wish there was a useful map of the layout (like the one they are showing in the minimap).

PS5’s load crazy fast, since their OS is dedicated entirely to running games and is thin as a slice of cheese the game has very fast access to the PS5 hardwre, and it’s fairly impressive hardware at that. Plus many PS5 games can use custom calls to take advantage of the internal SSDs. PCs still have the bloat of Windows to contend with, and as you said, it’s also probalby not very well optimized for PC (yet?).

Watched a friend play some last night and the PC port is not great at the moment. Lots of moments where the game chugs as it struggles to load assets - even on SSD. I think the worst had it down to ~20fps on High with a 3060Ti.

The biggest issue I have with the PC version is that it does the “Preparing Shaders” thing every time I start the game. It’s at least gotten shorter – the first time I started the game it took over a minute, now it’s about 28-38 seconds – and it only does that on the initial game launch. Still, though.

I’m running on a moderately high end system (m2 SSD, 3090 Ti, i5 13600k) and have settings at Ultra. I’ve turned off RTX shadows, as apparently they’re not working great, but have the other RTX on. Haven’t noticed any FPS drop or chug. Yet.

The only noticeable loading screen I’ve had is in the first charms class when it loads in the minigame for Accio that feels a bit like curling. That, and it does a quick 1-second fade to black and back up when you pet a cat. (I may have spent an inordinate amount of my play time running around looking for cats to pet.)

RTX creates the occasional weird effect inside Hogwarts, where wall surfaces that I wouldn’t think would have any reflection, are apparently shined up to a high gloss finish. Not a big deal, but noticeable at times.

There’s definitely plenty of patching for them to do on this, for sure (especially on ray tracing). But for me it’s more stable and less janky than even a well-patched Skyrim. No crashes yet, knock wood.

Well, I learned something about PS5s at least.

That’s a very good thing, because it means the game won’t stutter while you play it. This isn’t required on consoles because they all have the exact same hardware and software, so shaders can be precompiled and you just download them.

But Trigger is saying it does it every time he starts the game. That shouldn’t be the case. Forza Horizon games do it every time there’s an update to the game, but once they precompile your shaders once, they usually don’t have to do it again for a long time.

I’ve only started it up three times but I’ve gotten the preparing shaders bar as well each time. Not that big of a deal so far, but a little odd.

Recompiling shaders should only be necessary when a) the game is patched b) you update your GPU drivers or c) new hardware. Is it being frequently patched on day 1?

Nope! At least not through any Steam patcher. And yes, it’s every time you start the game. It’s a minor thing, really, but as you’ve mentioned there’s probably not a reason for it to need to do that…

Yeah sounds like a bug.

Warzone used to do this as well. You could count on it checking those shaders every time you started it up. My guess is that the developers are trying to avoid having people complain about stuttering by just enforcing the shader update each time you play. I’m sure they’re expecting a lot of unsavvy PC people to try to play this. Head off the problem before it starts…

That was BEFORE consoles had a nvme ssd drive…

That could plausibly explain it, too.

Is there a lot of twitchy combat? I struggle with the PS5 controller, especially if I have to move fast, and nonstop action will make my hands hurt. This is less of a problem for me on PC. But it sounds like the PS5 version is better optimized.

Yeah, it’s really one of those noticeable technological leaps that it seems like we don’t get much anymore. It still surprises and delights me when I load up a PS5 game and don’t have time to go grab a drink or whatever. Often I don’t even have time to take a drink before it’s to the main menu. And pretty much instant to load save games too. I recall timing Miles Morales from clicking the game in the PS system menu until I was loaded into my save at somewhere around 5-7 seconds total. And that’s with whatever delay in me clicking Continue in the main menu of the game.

And a supporting framework that optimizes the disk IO for the gaming use case. DirectStorage is supposed to bypass a lot of the OS stuff that slows IO down in Windows, and seems to do a decent job from what I’ve seen indicated from Forspoken, but it still seems to be a step behind PS5 with comparable drives.

For PC, does setting the FPS limit matter? Will I notice if it’s 60, 75, 144, etc? I have an older RTX 2080 paired with a new Ryzen 7 5800X3D. I’m not using any Ray Tracing. Just waiting on a new vid card.