Horizon Zero Dawn - Postapocalyptic cavewoman vs Zoids

What I’ve found is this:
For the most part, stealth is the best bet, slowly picking off targets one by one, luring them away from others and then killing them with critical shots. Stacked arrows on the marksman’s bow can let you oneshot some serious things.

The other key is the fact that the “weakness” system is a bit deeper than initially suggested… at least than I originally understood.

For instance, anything with a “power pack” on it (like a scrapper) is essentially a walking bomb. If you shoot their pack with an electro arrow from the warbow, it’ll overcharge for about a second, and then explode in a big shock zone. This one-shots the scrapper, and also wrecks anything near him. The same goes for most creatures… They have something on them, which if you shoot with the right kind of arrow, will explode. Which makes every creature into an AOE bomb for nuking other creatures.

Now, the flip side of this is that, in some cases, it’s not easy to actually land those shots. The explody parts are usually small and hard to hit from most angles.

The last suggestion is to make use of heavy weapons as much as possible once you’ve abandoned stealth. Blow the weapons off of the big monsters that have them, and use them to murder everything.

Oh, one more last, last, thing… don’t ignore any of the weapons. They all have uses. For a while, I was using the marksman’s bow once I bought it. It seemed better than the starting bow, as it did more damage. But really, both bows have uses, and are very situational. The warbow does as well. In most combat, I keep all 3 bows up, along with the sling, and switch between them as needed. The main damage dealers are the marksman bow and the hunter bow., the fast draw of the hunter bow means that up close, it’s usually gonna be a better option than the higher damage sharp shot bow… but the sharp shot is good for one-shotting guys early on when you’ve got distance and stealth going. Especially if you stack multiple arrows on the string before shooting.

I had been playing on “normal” up until now, and just upped the level to “hard”, as I’ve kind of gotten the feel for things. I haven’t noticed it ramp up too dramatically, so I may jack it up more to see what happens. I’m not sure what aspects change with the difficulty.

Zelda’s gonna take priority for awhile but I made it out of the smaller starting area last night and am still rather impressed. The uncanny valley is there in a lot of the chit chat, but other than that, it’s really polished and entertaining.

Live action theater presents:

https://youtu.be/A2IYbEu_i3A

I am having some grand fun with the photo thingy. I don’t think this is a spoiler… is this a spoiler?

“Hard” seems like a cakewalk so far, but I’m not as deep into it as you. I haven’t even come close to dying. The slo-mo aiming makes component explosions a breeze.

I am going to fill my PS4 hard drive with screen shots and videos, I fear.

It gets harder, but not particularly hard, that I’ve seen thus far. You’re correct that being able to slow things down to aim makes hitting components easier, but it gets h to the point that hitting the components isn’t enough to kill targets fast.

Still, usually able to withdraw it things get too heavy.

The danger comes when you are fighting a larger create like a stalker, and get jumped by another one you didn’t expect. Especially if you start getting shot by enemies behind you, because it’s not immediately apparent where you got shot from. And even the little ones like the red eye watchers, can do significant damage with their shots.

So basically on hard, it seems like it just punishes you if you are sloppy and get over extended, and mainly through increased health… Like, the the hunter bow can’t one shot humans with headshots, so it can take longer to take them down with it up close.

I’m gonna try very hard, and see what happens.

OK, so even on very hard, it doesn’t seem crazy difficult, although I believe that I figured out something that changes.

It seems that assuming becomes more difficult. That is, the hit boxes on specific modules, or aim assist, or sundering, seems to get less forgiving.

Hitting canisters to blow them up seems to be significantly harder. Even hitting things like rabbits running around seems harder. Not sure whether this is in my head or what.

Ok, I have explored already 30% of the game. Its true!, the game really deliver 100% on the promise. Love to get lost in forest or abandoned places just exploring, hunting.

That advice about tryiing all the weapons is true. Also high level weapons have new fire modes!.

Don’t like the farcry style upgrade for storages, superannoying.

At least when you go to an area of the map where the animals you need are supposed to be, they’re always there. You could waste hours wandering around “boar” habitat without finding any.

Yeah, first time I set a herd of blaze carriers on fire only to have them all start exploding was a pretty shocking turn of events!

Let me tell you how bad is the inventory system:

• I had the inventory full. No space for new stuff.
  • I was unable to craft fire arrows, because I did not had any foobar thingies (a icon with a picture of a thing in it, like a bottle).
  • I killed a looted everything for a lot of time, withouth noticing that the inventory was full, because since uses a stack system I was still looting stuff (but not the icon with the picture of the thing inside)
  • So for a two hours, my inventory was full, but I was not crafting fire arrows.
    You can say that it was my mistake, for not paying attention, but I don’t have this problem in other games. Crafting require abstract objects, the relation between the icons with a picture on it and what you craft is remote. A better system would use 3 basic elements (wood, metal and plastic) has base to craft most stuff. Maybe even directly loot fire arrows from dead bodies or something.

My inventory was full, but I had no vendor trash in the inventory. Almost everything was labelled “vendor trash” and “usefull for crafting” at the same time. But I was unable to craft anything.
How bad is a system that you can have the inventory filled with crafting materials and you can’t craft anything?

Again, you can blame me. Probably I was supposed to pay attention to these crafting materials and not loot them, except if I know are usefull immediatelly. And you can say “Don’t be a loot rat”.
The game could have chests in towns to store the shit I don’t think I will use soon. Or really, a game like this could get away with having a infinite inventory, with infinite slots.

I am better served with a tetris style inventory where a slingshot uses 2x2 cells and a short blade uses 1x2 cells than this system.

Anyway. Part of this is my fault. I failed to recognize the game want to be played in a particular way. Yesterday I took one hour hunging boars in the forest, to increase my inventory size, and from now I will always have a few empy slots and I will not loot everything midlessly.

Fuck the Farcry games with a hot iron bar.

I am enjoying the game a lot more now. The Meridiam area with the empire in it is king of awesome for flavour sake. This is a game with large towns, civilization, cool likeable characters, adventures. In a way have some of the spark of the better RPG games, like Baldurs Gate. The spark of adventures and a place that feel giganteous but not too big. … I mean, the map of this game feel gigantic. But you never feel is too big (or It don’t feel is too big to me). Is diverse and pretty and big. Is skyrim size if maybe a bit bigger.

This is weird and kind of cool. You can create a errand out of some resource you need, when you complete this errand you get experience for it. Is like I am crafting my own missions! I just completed the infinite travel one (by finding a fox skin) this way, got 2500XP for it.

I’ve never had issues with the inventory yet. How big is your resources bag? I maxed mine out at 100 reasonably early.

So what’s the consensus here? Worth playing?

Dare I ask if they bothered with a story?

Yes and yes! This is the best looking PS4 game ever, the gameplay is really engaging with lots of little QoL additions to the genre (like being able to generate your own side quest when crafting to find the ingredients you’re missing), the robot wildlife has some very cool herd mechanics going on (the human enemy combat kind of sucks though), there’s a lot of variety in the combat if you want it, and the story may not be Witcher 3 level but it is engaging and interesting (at least so far).

Yes and Yes. I quite like the story and world/lore so far. There’s more reason to be out in this world than there ever was in a Far Cry (and IMO a TES game as well). I would second rrmorton’s “the story is in a class with Witcher 3 even if it isn’t as good”. It’s also not the full on Ubi-thon where the map is a sea of icons that existed even before there was such a thing as a map or space time. There’s been some actually exploration both in terms of finding interesting but unmarked locals and in terms of finding things like “lorables” (which you’ll want to find). You could easily ignore the AWACs-asauri (the game’s radio towers, and there are only 5, and they’re so much less tedious to do than the towers at least two in) I suspect. There’s an early vendor that sells maps that point at the general area of some collectible items but I think you can ignore them (I bought the maps not thinking about what I was doing. No biggie). And the AWACs-asauri may only just reveal fog of war, I;m unclear because I purchased the maps. Leave the maps at home.

The flaws in the game so far are, IMO, the inventory really is crap (@Teiman arguably undersells it) and the UI is missing some critical quality of life functionality. And I think it’s straight up busted/bugged in one case.

Once you know that many of the things you collect are sitting in stacks then it makes dealing with running out of room (you get 100 slots fully upgraded) easier (although the frustration can still appear; I’ve hit it twice). You say “oh, I guess I really don’t need 1500 wood for making basic ammo, I can ditch 3-4 slots of crap right there”. But it’s a weird system in a game that asks you to collect all the things and craft all the things and it shouldn’t be something we need to think about overmuch beyond “time to upgrade!”. Really there’s no reason for the stack sizes to be capped the way they are (e.g. wood caps at 250. “lenses” - you’ll see - cap at 10), and tweaks here would remove most of the frustration without actually impacting game balance (you’ll still be driven to collect all the things because there’s so many different ammo types to craft, and you need exotic parts to buy weapon upgrades from merchants. To say nothing of what would typically be the satisfaction of selling a heap of trash and getting a lot of monies, and you do need the monies even with all the crafting).

About that vendor trash; all items are clearly labeled (e.g. “sell for monies”, “craft ammo”, “craft x”, “trade with vendor” - for weapon upgrades - etc). items can have multiple tags. But there’s no way to sell all vendor trash at once. There’s a multi sell button that puts you through the 100% useless and unnecessary inventory phase of having to select how many items to sell (it’s vendor trash guys, JUST SELL IT ALL). And you have to hold down X to sell every time, and why oh god has this become a full UI thing. A simple “sell all pure vendor trash” would be one of those huge quality of life features the game is missing. The other would be that while ammo crafting can be done rapidly and on the fly (from the weapon selection wheel - a superb UI addition) doing potions and the like must be done in the inventory screen and you can only craft one potion at a time. There is no “max craft” button, which makes zero fucking sense and hurts twice as much because of the stupid multi sell trash thing.

Oh, and I didn’t see a way to filter, so at least you could just move to the vendor trash section and quickly sell that way. But navigating the inventory in the sell screen is surprisingly quick and easy for what it is (it wraps horizontally and vertically staying on the same row/column, which is nice), so there’s that.

Yes that was like seventeen paragraphs bitching about four UI things but this shit matters, people.

The rest of the game is, so far, pretty great and hasn’t gotten repetative. The first time I saw [redacted], [redacted], [redacted], and [redacted] I was like “naw,”, “hell naw”, “shut the fuck up”, “get the fuck out seriously get out” and then an NPC was like "have fun when you get to hunt [4th redacted’] and I just wanted to stab but the game wouldn’t let me. Playing on the normal PS4 it’s gorgeous and the vistas are marvelous and the only time you need to load is fast travel (incidentally, fast travel is handled via an easily crafted doo-dad). The bonfire placement (you can only travel too such spots) is occasionally completely bizarre but it’s a small and largely irrelevant detail in a very magical world.

Yes you need rabbit gro-ins and fox ears and turkey bladders to make all the [increase X capacity] upgrades but this is easier to do than in any Ubigame I’ve ever player. Wild life is abundant and all over and there’s no wandering this one map area for an hour waiting for the golden narwhal to spawn so you can make the next stupid wallet upgrade (mind you, the various bits are uncommon drops so it might take some time to get the specific ones you need but it hasn’t been too onerous so far).

The Magical Vision Sensory Mechanic is the most thematically coherent and best implemented I’ve seen, edging Witcher sense and I just try to forget all the batman senses honestly but YMMV.

You will want to buy all the weapons, and use all their ammo. You will sprint and rope sprint and climb fairly dexterously (it’s not quite Shadow Warrior 2 on laddders but it’s much zippier than any genre example I can remember, thank the gods). You will collect things and lord yourself over the warm and fuzzy creature of the forest for the lackof tool making and higher mathematics, and then use all their parts. One time I was gonna stealth kill a thing but it turned out it was a different, scarier thing that resembled what I thought it was and that was awkward.

Also, there are robot dinosaurs.

Recommend.

The machine designs are pretty awesome. Highly recommend this game, inventory issues aside.

Is a amazing game, so much to see, to explore, to hunt, a solid story.

This game is my Witcher 3 - As in, this is one, if not the, finest rpg/action I’ve ever played. The game just “works”, all the damn time, and yeah - it has some seriously crazy stuff going on at times, that just has to be seen to be believed.

I also really enjoy, that challenges that seem hard, are overcome more easy, if you use the right tools - And tools is one thing you have quite a handfull off, allowing you both to play as fits your playstyle, but also to fit any occasion.

Really enjoying this game, and am afraid it will end too soon!

Buh? Rabbit groins?

Anyone know how the hell the weapon modifications work? There doesn’t seem to be any indication of which go in which weapons, but I just know that when I try and mod a weapon, only a small subset of what I have in my inventory is provided as an option.

Other than that, I think this game is awesome and I don’t usually like these types of open world epics. Even Witcher 3 didn’t grab me. It’s really fun coming across these different types of robot beasts and trying to figure out the best way to fight them. And I love the primitive/futuristic setting. It’s a great world to wander around in.