$$$$ - How Will You Spend Your Money This November?

“good” is damned relative when it comes to TVs, especially these days. I recommended the Vizio LCD HDTV to a financially-limited friend of mine, and he’s absolutely in love. 1 Grand. That’s about $200 more than the PS3. Not so shabby.

For another $300 you can get a Sceptre 1080p 37" model at Costco that works great as a computer monitor too. Both TV’s have issues and if either one had a decent scaler/deinterlacer I would pick one up for my home office so I could play last gen games, but they kinda look like crap on either TV. 360/PS3 games should look awesome though.

Are you living in the dark ages?

While true, I still won’t be going game crazy in November. I’m saving for a downpayment on a condo. Most likely I will buy Lego Star Wars 2 sometime between now and Xmas, and pick up some of the others sometime down the road. I fully expect to never buy a PS3.

• Wii + Excite Truck and Zelda
  • Final Fantasy 3 DS
  • Burning Crusade (assuming it ships in November, which is a pretty big assumption)

Yeah, I’m not planning on buying much either. Probably a couple of 360 games and a couple of DS games and a few launch titles to go with my Wii.

I won’t be getting a Wii at launch because I have plenty of DS and PS2 games to get to, and the Wii is only going to get cheaper.

Probably buy another guitar. The games coming out near-term aren’t that compelling to me.

I’m looking at various 360 and DS games, a new PC (as mine is close to over 4 years old now) and possibly the Wii.

That’s pretty much my list, minus the PS3.

I know this much: I will definitely pass on some games that I would have loved to play any other time of year. The 4th-quarter-loading of the games business LOSES sales on me, because I just don’t have the time and money to get all these late october and november games and play them. And by March of next year, I’ll care less and be on to other new games.

Good Christ, you people have money.

We’re trying to save every red cent for an upcoming move to Portland in 2008 – right now we’re both working and it’s time to stock up the piggy bank. We generally fund our “WHEEEE!” money with my bonuses from work, but they went to biannual bonuses, so we won’t get any KACHING until January on that front. So it’s going to be a mighty impoverished Christmas.

But my mom gave me some birthday money, so I already got a 360 :-) Between Gears of War, the rest of my backlog, and a few choice plums like possibly Company of Heroes, I’ll be totally set. (I haven’t even gotten Advance Wars DS yet ferchrissakes!)

Plus I am still working on my personal hacking project (robjsoftware.com) and once that gets online I will suddenly have double or triple the time for gaming again.

Then when the big bucks hit in January… well… I’ll probably save almost all of it, because I’m going to need a new laptop sometime soon, and I want a tablet that can run Vista = $$$$$$$$$.

Why are you passing on the PS3?

I’ll be buying a shiny new calculator so that I can figure out how adding $200 to $500-$600 makes $1000. Then, I intend to use those mathematics to become independantly wealthy so that I can afford to give Wii to blind kids and PS3 to retarts. If there’s any time left over, I might try starting a thread about video game consoles and economics so Jake doesn’t have to anymore.

I don’t know why you wouldn’t pass on the PS3 this November. Even if you’re got enough disposable income to laugh at the ZOMG SO EXPENSIVEness of it, there just aren’t any games coming out for it this year that interest me when compared to 360/Wii/DS games. Even the PC has a much better holiday lineup scheduled than the PS3 and PC gaming is totally d0med.

Unlike some posters above, I won’t claim that I’ll never get a PS3, but there is absolutely no compelling reason (IMO) to buy one come November. Add in the ubiquitious hardware launch problems of today coupled with two major new technologies (Bluray and Cell), and, well, the PS3 is something I can wait a year or more to pick up.

Maybe he was planning to match the average attachment rate.

Bingo. I’ll wait until the price drops and the catalog of games picks up. And if XBox360 keeps me occupied, so much the better.

I did a quick calculation on what you’ll be spending to get a PS3 on launch, with the cheapest options, and it came to $800. If you push me enough I suppose I could go do it again. Something like $500 + 2x$60 for a couple of games, + $50 for an extra controller = $670 plus tax/shipping = ~750, maybe 700. I’m forgetting something in there, probably an extra game.

That’s all assuming you can get it ala carte, which is laughable. Gamestop will likely price out the launch bundles (and they will ALL be bundles, regardless of store) with 3 games at a minimum, plus extras. I think $800 is a fair estimate for the cheapest you’ll be able to buy it at launch - and that’s the BS limited version.

Someone says they are buying a PS3. To dissuade them from buying a PS3, you suggest that buying a PS3 + an extra controller + three games + $200 isn’t as good as a crappy flatscreen HDTV? You’ll be getting words of encouragement in a PM from other mathematically inclined contributors to this board any time now.

BTW: I take issue with your assessment of the cheaper console as a “BS limited version” unless you’re talking about Xbox 360.

In a word, yes.

In many more words, he already has a 360! So if his choice is either to play the 360 and the PS3 on a standard TV or possibly the 360 (with lots of xmas games to pick from) on the HDTV… YES! I think that’s a much better option. Toss in that he’ll still have the standard TV for, well, TV and the HDTV will make his dvds eye-popping, and I’d say it’s a far better choice than a PS3.

(I’m not going to get into the particulars of the PS3 models, this is derailing enough as it is.)

Don’t forget about a warranty, honestly considering what happened to launch PSXs (skipping FMV, etc.) and PS2s (DREs) I think you’d be insane not to get a warranty on the PS3.

That pushes it to around $950-$1000.

I agree. IF you’re playing 360 on an SDTV… its like playing Half-Life 2 on a 10 year old 15" CRT. You’re just not getting out of it what you could and should. You should absolutely be focusing on saving up for an HDTV.