Insomniac's Marvel's Spider-Man

I like everything about the game so far except it’s got Ubi icons all over the map. I wish developers could include the cool features in the game without just throwing them on a map and telling the player to follow all the icons. I wish they would figure out a way for the player to find these things in a more natural manner and make finding these activities part of the fun. Other than that, well done so far!

Can you turn them off? I know in Ubi’s Watch Dogs 2, I can turn off almost all the icons, which is nice.

You might, but the game isn’t really designed to be able to do things without the icons. I mean, I don’t want to randomly comb the city for things. I just wish some things had clues or other means of locating them.

I’m around 45% done with the main story and I still haven’t tired of the side activities, that is a good sign. I almost always get tired of the side content in big games like this. My favorite two are identifying the chemicals and doing the circuits. I even like catching the pigeons, but they do show off that I’m still inadequate with my swinging skills. I often take multiple tries trying to catch them.

In fights I tend to stick with the basics too much and am probably inefficient, but I have fun with them. I’m liking this even more than I expected with all the love thrown at it. I’m not a Sprider-Man fan, or really any super hero stuff, but this just feels good to play.

On the main map, you have various filters so you can hide icons that you don’t want to see. Useful to concentrate on main quests and not get distracted. You could theoretically turn them all off and just stumble across events, but not sure how much fun that would be.

I finished up the game today at around 80%. Somewhere around 65-70% I started getting tired of the side activities and focused on the story. I really enjoyed playing Peter. It seems rare to play a guy who is an all around good guy. The story kept me interested the whole way through with a good cast of characters.

For not being a Spider-Man fan, it was a lot of fun swinging around the city. Combat was more fun than in the Batman games, but I did get my fill of it. It got very samey. Probably my favorite super hero game.

Xmas present to me was getting the Ps4 pro bundle with this, God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn during the black Friday sales.

Finally hooked everything up and started playing this week. Very fun this far, but coming from an Xbox, I’m still fighting the controls. I like the Xbox layout much better.

Also, sucks that the harmony can’t control the PS4.

So yeah, I did do this! [quote=“Gigglemoo, post:100, topic:137198, full:true”]

That’s what I did last night.

Went into the drug store to buy that fancy spiderman console bundle. Turns out they didn’t have any, or the game… but I still walked out with a PS4 Pro.
[/quote]

A couple of nits in an otherwise fantastic game:

1. Bonus points for kicking thugs off buildings. WTH? Spidey doesn’t kill people. There should at least have been an animation of the thugs getting webbed up to the side of the building.
  2. Early on Spidey has to hunt down The Shocker, who is pretty much doing hulk jumps all over the city. Since when can the Shocker do Hulk Jumps?

I could have sworn that’s exactly how it works. Are you sure?

There is.

Yep, it can be hard to spot sometimes.

Let’s not think about what happens when the webbing dissolves in an hour. The NYPD must have a full-time rappelling building-side rescue crew.

Good. I still remember going after the Pacifist achievement in Mirror’s Edge, and being worried that the guy I accidentally kicked off the building would count against me - it didn’t (and I busted my a** for that achievement, especially the final level or two!).

He definitely webs thugs to buildings but I’m glad the animation is as seamless as it is otherwise it would have got very annoying after 5 minutes.

Since they needed to get you chasing him through the city. Drones, Black Cat, Screwball and bloody pigeons obviously weren’t enough. :(

Finished the Main game/story a week or two ago (still have some areas to clear, etc.). Spun over to Horizon Zero Dawn before swinging back into the DLC.

Thoughts:

1. I wish all the super-villain fights didn’t all come down to a QTE after basically just throwing things at them in most (taskmaster was the only one I remember that didn’t, though the final doc ock fight was better). I had really been hoping to web up doc ock’s goggles or something too.

2. would have liked to see the Goblin, after all the Osborne drama, but I’m ok with that for the next chapter.

3. loved the reassembling of the Sinister Six (I was practically cheering it!), and the Scorpion venom sequence was pretty fun

4. the Drone chase tasks were a PITA, but I loved the pigeon chases - go figure.

Overall, I loved it! Those are mostly nits I’m picking. Best Spiderman game I’ve ever played, with an interesting story, and webslinging around Marvel’s NYC with the Avengers building is amazing.

So is the secret to beating Taskmaster throwing things at him? I didn’t manage to read the on-screen hints or whatever and was defeated.

That and the dodge under attack. There were probably some other ways, but they did state it.

In order to bring the best performances to players with our next-generation Marvel’s Spider-Man games, we have recast the face of Peter Parker. We loved working with John Bubniak on the original game; however, to get a better match to Peter Parker/Spider-Man actor Yuri Lowenthal’s facial capture, we have cast Ben Jordan to be the face model for Peter Parker on the PS5 console. He looks incredible in-game, and Yuri’s moving performances take on a new life.

Kind of crazy that they’re spending all this money to remaster a game that just barely came out a couple of years ago. And then charging full price for the remaster (with additional campaign).

They’re charging $20 as a bonus inclusion with a new game.

The hatred for the new look online is insane. It sure exposed a lot of people who have not seen a 23 year old in person in a very long time. And there’s a lot of preposterous conspiracy theories when the given explanation that having a closer match between the face model and the performance capture data makes a ton of sense.