Insomniac's Marvel's Spider-Man

Sounds like someone higher up on the corporate chain really wanted to make sure Spider-Man looks like Tom Holland!

-Tom

Is saying “I don’t like the new look and I don’t like that it makes him look younger” insane hatred?

No, but hunting down the new face model’s instagram so you can harass him for ruining Spider-man is.

So I bought this on super sale and played through it over the course of a month. It was my fallback game when I was bored of everything else. I didn’t find this game super compelling, but it was fun and distracting. I loved the suit that looks like a comic. Aside from the license and cultural history of the characters though, this is as bog standard a bog standard open world game as you can get, practically a carbon copy of Arkham City, but during the day.

You didn’t think the webslinging traversal options felt different enough from the grappling and gliding and batmobiling in Arkham Knights? That was a major distinction for me.

And you mentioned the difference between Gotham’s night and the day/night cycle in Spider-Man, but that also describes the difference in tone between both games, which for me, lent them each a distinct feel. But I guess that gets to the license/cultural differences you mentioned. Not really a gameplay observation, of course.

-Tom

Akrham City is great! Not sure saying it’s a carbon copy, with different traversal and a real world city, is a knock on the game. I want lots more carbon copies of Akrham City. I also found that Spiderman did a better job of encouraging/forcing you to mix up the combat, particularly around gadgets, though I’ll grant the stealth bits aren’t as satisfying. It does have the advantage of not incentivising you to be in detective vision all the time.

Oh for sure, they felt different. I much preferred Spiderman’s milieu. And the characters were well drawn and the plot was about on par with a good superhero film, that is to say a bit overstuffed and ridiculous, but emotionally engaging and fun.

Sure, the Spiderman traversal is super fun, well animated, and joyous. But after a couple of dozen hours, it’s just a way to get from here to there. I actually thought the combat in Spiderman was better, as @Ginger_Yellow said, because it kind of encourages you to use all the tools in your arsenal. They’re definitely distinct games, but they both feature an open-world map consisting of skyscrapers, dotted with icons, missions that mostly end up involving beating up waves of baddies, and some light sleuthing and stealth.

I’m not really trying to knock the game: I had fun with it. But, this formula has pretty much reached saturation for me. Maybe that’s just the coronavirus cabin fever ennui speaking though.

Spiderverse suit is in, looks like it might be a pre-order bonus though? Adjusts the animation as well to mimic the style of the movie.

Longer gameplay video with the suit equipped

I would preorder for that.

Glad I don’t have to, though.

The animation suit was pretty much the best thing about the original game. Never wore anything else after I unlocked it.

Insomniac changed their mind:

Which is great news. It may sound silly but I think this is the tipping point to get me to spring for the remaster.

Wraaaaaaaa.

Neat, they added a third graphics setting that gives you 60 fps with ray-tracing in Miles Morales:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-12-09-insomniacs-latest-spider-man-miles-morales-update-adds-ray-tracing-at-60fps

Wow, that’s very cool. That was a really tough choice to make. I’m glad they came up with a compromise mode.

I’m having a hard time believing these numbers. I’ve heard nothing but good things about the game.

Following Marvel’s The Avengers , now the Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales video game has tanked completely as it sold 70% less than the first game.

The sales info comes from Super Data, a Nielsen Company, who reports the numbers where the first Spider-Man game sold 2.2 million copies at launch, but Miles Morales only sold 663k:

Spider-Man: Miles Morales sold 663K digital units across PlayStation 4 and 5. Sales of the Sony-published title did not compare to the launch of Marvel’s Spider-Man in September 2018 (2.2M).

The Spider-Man: Miles Morales game didn’t even make it into the top ten for the month of November, and according to the charts, sold less than Marvel’s Avengers, which is a disaster as well, as Marvel’s Avengers is confirmed to be losing money and players are leaving in droves, so just imagine how bad it must be for the Miles Morales game.

Oh, I see the article’s agenda now.

What typically happens, and we see this in Hollywood all the time, is that story and content are sacrificed in order to push a politically correct-driven agenda that backfires completely (Disney Star Wars, Doctor Who, Supergirl, Terminator, Ghostbusters, etc).

The spin at the end is ridiculous, but the numbers do really are from Superdata and can be considered as legit as any analyst-sourced numbers.

I think there is a simple explanation. This is an expandalone, not a full game. Those never do super well compared to the main games (e.g. Dishonored: Death to the Outsider, Uncharted: Lost Legacy). And this has the additional problems of being basically full priced ($50 for a 7 hour story) and despite being kind of a a lazier expandalone than the other examples above. The appeal (and production cost!) of the game is in the open world, and IIUC they just reused it from the original game.