Into the Breach - Turn Based Strategy

I’ve been watching some youtube videos of this and some of them are worse than me!

I tried playing on easy, and it’s not fun. There isn’t any challenge to it. I just don’t think this is a game for me, I am too impatient to think my turns through enough to be successful (which is why I suck at gaming, but that’s another story).

@LeeAbe

speaking of patience, I am in the middle of a game, starting a new island, and I alt tabbed to get some work done.

That was 2 hrs ago.

I am geting adept at recognising when my brain is getting overloaded.

I’m playing flame behemoths, and to my great surprise i am making some progress.

My goal in this playthrough is to earn another coin, with which to unlock my 4th squad.

To do that i need to do one of the following:

1- have 12 hexes on fire
2- have 5 eneies on fire at the same time (actually quite challenging because fire…well it burns, and kills them, which is good, but it’s hard to have 5 enemies on fire simulatenously, mostly because imho having 5 enemies on the board is a very bad thing indeed, and flame behemoths don’t do very much damage)
3 - teleport from 4 hexes away (which requires 2 power-cores to upgrade my teleporting science dude, which isn’t happening any time soon)

I just upgraded my Flame mech and he now has range 2, which means he can burn 2 tiles/enemies at once.

I’m gunning for achievement 1.

Rust Buckets are fun.

This one was easy enough for me. I ran into a boss who charges across the map leaving fire in its wake and it did all the work for me.

That last squad was tough for me to win with, but I finally did it. Won with 4 squads now - but only the 2 island victory.

So far this does a great job at making each squad require different thinking.

I got the teleport achievement, and the 12 hexes on fire and I completed 3 islands. At this point I am far ahead of where I thought i would be.

And I’ve got a new toy, a fire beam for my science guys, that throws fire in a straight line.

edit: plus the once per battle repair all bots ability!

i had the extra power so I upgraded it to use it twice in one battle.

Ofcourse I’m going to go for the 4th island, and fully expect to be destroyed.

I’m going to take another short break, recharge brain by doing some actual what earns me money work, and have my last coffee/tea of the day.

Edit:basically, I think this is a moment of pure gaming bliss. Everything went well for me, except one mission where I fucked up royally and lost 2 rockets and a time pod.

Also, I unlocked Zoltan, which has allowed some abusive moves. He lowers his mech to 1 hp, but has a shield that recharges every turn. A shield can absorb any amount of damage, so if you positionj him to take one hit per round, you can do some serious tanking.

Edit, that 4th island knocked me for 6.

It was all new to me, trying to figure it out, and that psion that goddam heals the enemy effectively negated my setting them on fire strategy.

I lost fighting the boss, a spider who swamps the map.

Anyway, I managed to get 5 enemies on fire, and after this death I found myself with 11 coins!

Woohoooooo!
That means 2 new squads minimum. Stuck working out which ones though…from what I can gather the lightning guys (Blitzkrieg) are finicky as hell.

edit-went fr zenith guard (shields and lasers) and Hazardous mech (poison).

Now I shall have another go, and am prepared for some angst.

I’m a big baby about having buildings destroyed. I have to accept that sometimes you can’t have a perfect score.

I had a 2 island victory with the Rift Walkers 13530 best score … I tried a 4 island run, but man the 4th island is tough… now I am thinking maybe I should try the 4th island first, since it scales down … anyone tried different island orders?

Yeah, visiting them in a different order works just fine. Doesn’t help, doesn’t hurt, I think the main reason to do it is for the diversity. At least I find that the real killer is the spider that lobs hatchlings, and those will appear on the fourth island you visit.

yes, that’s why I want to go 4th island first …

You can see the horrors you may unlock before selecting an island.

I like to start with the desert, because it offers lots of damage opportunities, and you are usually damage deprived early in the game.

I usually avoid the ice one, as some of the side goals there are super nasty (I am thinking about the “freeze those bots” and the “protect the robotic factories spewing hostiles” ones), and those landmines can be as much of a blessing or a curse.

They’re my favourite squad so far. The damage output on the lightning whip is insane. You may be best advised to avoid missions with goals like “protect the tanks” though, as it can be difficult to avoid catching them in the lightning chain.

Yeah that screwed me yesterday.

But the ability to hit several units at once is fun.

I read there’s an upgrade that makes friendlies immune. That’ll be a no brainer. …

Not on the lightning whip: its upgrades give +1 damage, and let the chain through grid buildings. There might be a passive effect available, but I’ve not seen it.

Another note: lightning can chain through rocks (destroying them).

Productive weekend with this game. I got 2, 3, and 4 island victories with Rift Walkers and Rusting Hulks. Plus a 4 island victory with Zenith Guard. Zenith Guard was the hardest so far. You have 1 guy that takes damage when he deals it, and the other guy that just pulls Vek 1 space, or shields 2 spaces twice in a round. Once I got some decent passives and pilot combos, I was finally able to get the 4 island win.
I feel like I’ve gotten my money’s worth already, and I still have 5 battle groups to unlock! Such an awesome game.

The pull has unlimited range, and you can use it on friendlies ☺

I am just about to go to the boss island on a 4-island run, have to spend some reputation first.
I only have 3 stars to spend and need grid energy.

I have 1 grid power left. So I want to spend 3 reputation for increasing my grid.

There is the electric whip on sale for 1 rep … I would have to sell something already in use, what should I sell?? IS the electric whip worth it??

Wind Torrent -> move all objects into one direction 1 tile … This helped me so much
Shield Projector -> protect 2 adjacent tiles
Auto Shield, passive -> was sometimes of use when enemies hit with 1 attack point,

Should I sell Auto Shield?

IIRC the whip will damage your pylons unless you upgrade it, I’d say go without it and wait until you unlock Blitzkrieg Mechs.