It’s the 20:20 movie frame game of 2018!

Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence?

-xtien

Man I’m fairly sure you got it right. But on the off chance you didn’t, I’ll guess

The Railway Man

At first I thought that was Peter O’Toole, to be honest. But I couldn’t place it. Then I remembered the shaving scene.

Dangit. I should have talked about that for our shaving 3x3 topic.

-xtien

Group Capt. Hicksley: [about something Yonoi just said] What the hell’s Gyo?
Colonel Lawrence: Uh… It’s a Japanese word for laziness.
Group Capt. Hicksley: Laziness! Jesus Christ, what makes he…
Colonel Lawrence: Why don’t you listen? He means spiritual laziness, and he believes that if he takes away the food and the water, then he also takes away the nourishment of laziness.
Group Capt. Hicksley: You don’t believe this bull shit!
Colonel Lawrence: I don’t fucking know! Sir, I will tell you something that may surprise you! If we’ll do it, he’ll do it.

I always bookend this film with a viewing of The Bridge Over The River Kwai, and I did just that two weeks ago. It’s a study in unintentional cruelty and cultural clashes… Codes of Honor gone wrong. But redemption of all through a spark, a seed of humanity. This clip always makes me cry. The backstory explains why. In the Film, Colonel Lawrence (Tom Conti) is a British prisoner who knows Japanese, and consistently serves as a messenger and translator between the Japanese authorities and the Allied prisoners. A translator both linguistically and culturally. Sergeant Hara (Takeshi, a Japanese comedian brilliantly cast by Director Nagisa Ôshima in this role) is his primary point of contact, and despite the most heinous human brutalities (usually caused through misunderstandings) Hara has in multiple moments of human kindness, prevented the blackest of atrocities from occurring, as well as saving Colonel Lawrence’s life.

However, abuses still occurred, and Hara has been found guilty by a tribunal, and is due to be executed. This scene occurs as Lawrence visits Hara 3 years after the events depicted in the film, before Hara’s execution. Wow. I teared up a little writing that last part.

Anyhow, enough of my maudlin comments, on to frames.

The Olde English 800:

The Roger Maris (61*):

The 1hr21min20sec:

The Two Centuries:

The (not so) Rare Beltway (the 202):

Oh, and besides having David Bowie in a fantastic performance, another brilliant performance is delivered by another musician/actor, Ryuichi Sakamoto, who also composed the brilliant soundtrack.

Let’s Dance, @ChristienMurawski !

I do own a pair of red shoes, I’ll have you know.

That scene in the 20:20 is quite moving to me, and I love how Bowie commits to it. Also, the shadow of his hand as he drops his “last cigarette” and then extinguishes it with his sad boots…I just love touches like that.

The sand stuff later creeps me out, though. I’m reminded of something @marquac wrote in in his email for the podcast we just did. But I’ll post about that in the podcast thread.

Anyway…I’ll have something up in a bit.

-xtien

“Tea?..Yes I’d like that.”

Well, see #3. Very talented man. Studied under Lindsay Kemp.

That is an excellent detail. Having studied that myself, and just having received from my father–de-cluttering is all the rage, don’t you know–a picture of me with my troupe in high school (ugh), I certainly got that feel watching the scene. His movements are precise, but not too precise given his circumstances and the various levels of energy and emotion he has in the circumstance.

Thank you, Patrick.

-xtien

The new twenty:

-xtien

Force 10 from Navarone. Such a bad film. And I love James Fox. :( And Robert Shaw…Sigh…

Sorry Patrick. This one was for you. I just couldn’t help it.

The forty:

sixty-one:

The eighty-whatever (I mean…WOW!..look at that decapitation dummy!):

The one-hundred (Robert Shaw and Richard Kiel in the same movie…noice):

The one-twenty:

It’s kind of fun to watch Harrison Ford flounder about a bit and do his self-righteous yelling shtick here. It’s also fun to see this guy:

Who is an actor named Michael Byrne playing Schroeder, who also played a character named Vogel…

Ernst_Indiana

…in some other movie with Harrison Ford.

Anyway. I couldn’t resist.

You have the conch, @Navaronegun!

-xtien

“Yes they frequently are specific…and just as frequently wrong.”

The sad thing is the book is just as good as Guns. And they cad the casting nailed (it was too late to recast Peck and Niven…).

Except the book had Royal Marine Commandos. But the producers had to go “American Rangers”…and had to say “Hey, let’s get that Star Wars ™ guy, and find an athletic ‘Jim Brown’ kind of actor too! Yeah!”

And they created…poo.

I’ll have something up in a few.

I say, old man, here is the new 20:20.

Young Winston?

Incorrobertshaw!

Breaker Morant! Terrific movie. Edit: CraigM did get the right time period and the right war for Young Winston.

The Olde English 800:

The Roger Maris (61*):

The 1hr21min20sec:

The Two Centuries:

@Jason_Levine, Post!!!

Well I can at least take comfort that I did correctly identify the uniforms :)

And extra points for Intel work with me praising Robert Shaw earlier, noticing that, and choosing a Robert Shaw film (Supporting, anyhow).

Ha I wish I could claim that much though, I saw the unis, went ‘turn of the century Britis, likely colonial, Winston Churchill is a favorite subject of movies for that period, looks late 60’s to early 80’s’

Out spat that ;)

New 20:20