It's time to have a 2020 Presidential Election thread

I think that’s a shitshow. No rules or procedure really exist. For Democrats, I imagine superdelegates could be canvassed. I think that makes it less likely that Bemie is the nominee, but it’s possible.

Here’s the thing about Biden. You looks fucking awesome in Aviator Glasses and Mask. If I were him, I would always be wearing that, even if I was at home. Its probably what is going to keep him safer then almost all of us on this forum.

https://sports.yahoo.com/joe-biden-wears-mask-1st-163404462.html

Actually, rules for replacing a nominee already exist.

At some point stuff starts to get decided by single combat, right? I think that’s in the Constitution somewhere.

There can be only one.

Something that occurred to me today, seeing a montage of Nick Cave photos.

If Nick stopped coloring his hair jet black, and once he ages about 15 years…he’s completely sporting a Joe Biden lockdown haircut.

Heh. I’m so mad that the Rona is fucking me out of my chance to see him that was set for September.

They told us our gods would outlive us
They told us our dreams would outlive us
They told us our gods would outlive us
But they lied

I’m not sure this is bringing much comfort to the skittish in this thread.

Don’t believe it, but for the record.

Note that it’s an LV screen and not RV screen here, too. (Likely voter screens are typically kinder to Republican presidential candidates.)

Curious how LV screens actually work? Is it a question asked of the poll respondent, or is it inferred from the demographic responses from the poll respondent? Or both?

Great question.

I think there are some pollsters who use actual voter rolls for this determination, but most honestly do not, and rely on self-reported voting behavior. This CBS poll, run by YouGov (who is generally pretty good) is a self-reported behavior screen, per its crosstabs.

On the current trajectory I don’t think it is out of the question that Biden could be competitive in Texas, though I would have guessed that his chances were better in Arizona and Florida. So that Texas & Arizona result is a bit surprising to me.

Oh USA Today. Why are you so terrible?

Here’s the headline:

Here’s the text:

Actually, pollsters got it mostly right four years ago.

They had Clinton winning the popular vote by about 3 percentage points. She won by 2.1 points. And they were right about the outcome in most states. But their research did not capture the full picture of voter sentiment in the upper Midwest that provided Trump with the margin of victory in the Electoral College.

There have been higher hopes of turning Texas purple for years. Arizona is basically Texas without large liberal populations.

Yes, I lived there for thirty years. I was going on earlier polls, which showed Biden up by a bigger margin than that YouGov / CBS poll and which have also showed Kelly with a significant lead over McSally.

I think, more than anything, Texas either going blue or even being close would be the “come to Jesus” moment for the Republican party. I mean if they lose Texas, can they ever win another Presidential election?

I mean they’d have to flip what, WI + PA permanently and that’s still 30 EVs to 38 from TX.

Then again, they’ll probably just say “it was Coronavirus” and agree that they don’t need to change anything. Hello presumptive nominee Tucker Carlson in 2024!

At Gallup at least the likely voter screen is some kind of proprietary special sauce they don’t want to discuss in public.

Pew gives a bit of an idea of the sorts of questions they use to identify likely voters, but not the weighting involved (or whether it includes other factors like age, gender etc.):

We use a lengthy set of questions to assign each respondent a score on the likely voter scale in our final pre-election poll. Earlier in the campaign, we often use a somewhat shorter version of the scale to identify likely voters. The set of questions may include some or all of the following:

• How much thought have you given to the coming presidential election?
• How closely have you been following news about the candidates?
• Do you plan to vote in the presidential election? How certain are you that you will vote?
• Rate your chance of voting in November on a scale of 10 to 1, with 10 being “definitely will vote” and 1 “definitely will not vote.”
• How often do you follow what’s going on in government and public affairs?
• Have you ever voted in your precinct or election district?
• How often would you say you vote?
• Do you happen to know where people in your neighborhood go to vote?
• In the last election, did things come up that kept you from voting or did you vote?