Jurassic World Evolution by Frontier Developments

Interest declining.

Okay this is a pretty bleak experience he paints but this.’

The modular system that lets you turn a toilet into a pirate ship in Planet Coaster is nowhere to be seen, either, leaving us with only the extremely plain buildings that our bosses at InGen HQ have signed off on.

Was I the only one that thought spending in an hour building a pirate toilet was not fun at all for a theme park management game? Sure others like to do pretty, but I wanted to run a park. And yes, I could get the hard efforts of others but they were huge, expensive and designed for the sandbox games and… .had like twenty themes in them so they were rarely available at the beginning. So not being able to hang lanterns on four sides of my fairy mushroom toilet is not a downside but…

Placating guests is important, but they’re just a singular group with a unified opinion.There are no demographics or ways to make your park appeal to specific people, and all they want is lots of dinosaurs and amenities

This is

and

This is

While the dinosaurs do have that long list of needs and personality traits, they only ever lead to the same situations happening over and over again. The dinosaur is happy and thus just hangs out in the enclosure, or it’s angry so it tries to escape the enclosure. The latter happens a lot.

And of course he called it boring. A dinosaur park is boring. Zoo Tycoon wasn’t boring… how did they manage to make dinosaurs boring.

Suddenly the one with Triceratops wearing sunglasses might be worth a look at aye?

Nope I thought that too. I don’t have time for that kind of stuff. I want to play a game, not have to design the whole thing myself

Looks like I’ll be waiting til this hits a $2 price-point.

You just don’t understand the pleasures of constructing the perfect public toilet. ;)

haha

Yeah. I might not even go that far with it.

At least they were cute with this phrase: I’ve decided not to endorse this park.

I don’t know if this is intended to replicate the real paleontology work of scrubbing an unearthed fossil with a toothbrush, but if anything it’s less fun.

Ouch.

The IGN review is encouraging as from memory they had a whole range of exclusive footage they were spruiking about the game. I just assumed that they would be more optimistic than average about the game considering how much they wrote about it in the lead up.

Yeah, they pushed the game pretty hard. I was really expecting complaints about too few dinosaurs, need more buildings… stuff they might push as DLC. This sounds a lot worse than that, to me.

I guess it’s kind of logical. Planet Coaster, as cool as it is, has really weaksauce park management. Its strengths are the construction tools and the user-made stuff. Since Jurassic World Evolution doesn’t have the luxury of the open user-made format thanks to licensing restrictions and age requirements, you get this.

Hmm. I was gonna ask, for someone who has that roller coaster tycoon hunger would you recommend Planet Coaster? I should note the park management is my fave element of these kinds of games.

It was fun for the first few hours, and even though I am bad at design making my own rollercoasters and then riding them was great fun. The graphics is really the main draw for anyone that doesn’t want to spend many hours creating every element of the park. The actual management is only ok. I have heard Parkitect is closer to a modern reboot of roller coaster tycoon.

I went in for the $65 pre-order. My 6yo is chomping at the bit today, and not at all happy he can’t stay up to play. He’s made me promise not to even start the game without him. I think despite the negative reviews about a park simulator/creator, the draw is the dinos for him. He plays Jurassic World on iOS daily, and that thing barely qualifies as a game.

I think it’ll be a big hit in our house, despite the unfavorable reviews.

I think a 6-year-old will enjoy it. Kid me would’ve thrown a fit for a dinosaur theme park game.

Heh, same here! I’m going to play this with his excitement and exuberance in mind, reviews be damned.

Cheers thanks!

Go with Parkitect. They actually listen to those of us that want a heavier management sim.

Thanks!

Not to derail this much but, how complete is it right now? Should i wait or is just enough to be playable?

Back to Jurassic Park, the user reviews on steam are surprisingly positive. At the time of writing it’s 81% positive from 1816 reviews.

Let us know how you go @Chowhound!

Only did a few hours after dinner tonight, up till putting the kids to bed. Dinosaur art and animation are top notch - both kids were super excited to see the 1 dinosaur we hatched. My son promptly wanted a T-Rex, Indominus Rex, and a horde of raptors, and quickly lost interest when he learned they needed to be discovered and unlocked. Plus, way too much text and talking to hold his attention. He’s still excited, but that’s been tempered by reality meeting expectations, heh.

On the sim side, it looks pretty meaty. I’m playing on XB1, so the controls are taking a bit to get used to, and there’s a bit too much UI clutter when looking through menus, as well as multiple tabs and extra button presses to get where you want to go.

Building is pretty free form, but snapping to angle is a bit strange, but manageable. There’s lots to manage, from researching just about everything (building upgrades, dino upgrades, research upgrades, etc). I only glanced at the dino DNA splicing part, figuring that’ll come into play much later. Looks and feels at a cursory glance for a pretty solid park sim.

There’s also 3 factions in the park - Science, Entertainment, and Security that offer contracts and demands to earn money. Seems really strange that building stronger enclosures would make your faction rep with Science and Entertainment go down, and vice versa.

I haven’t figured out how to get more people into the park yet. It says it’s open, but I see no one. Then again, I only have 1 sickly dino that I just figured out I needed to feed with a feeder. I just assumed it would scrounge/scavenge for food in the enclosure.

I do get the feeling of a mobile title design a bit though - sending expeditions out to recover fossils are timed events, and extracting DNA is also timed, as well as all research and incubating/hatching dinos. I keep waiting for the pop-up window telling me I can complete it now for some dino diamonds, and would I like to buy more? There’s a limited time introductory package for $4.99! Thankfully there isn’t, but perhaps playing Jurassic World on iOS and other games have set my expectations low.

There’s definitely more park sim than dinosaur playground, and that’s fine by me, although disappointing to my son. I’m not regretting the $65 pre-order. I am going back to play some more before bedtime though!

Ok, I’ll most likely play past my bedtime.