Just Cause 4

Yep, and people on the forums complaining that the Gold edition doesn’t have all the content the Complete edition has.

Trying the free weekend on Steam… and this seems a lot of fun. The mayhem dial went to 11 rather quickly, but it looked a lot better than I expected given some comments here. If I get the time I might give it a go.

I tried it too and yeah it is ok now. They fixed it up a lot. Although the water still looks much worse than Just Cause 2, bizzarely enough.

Just Cause 4 complete edition is $21.03 (84% off).

Free on Epic soon…

Finally at a price I’ll be willing to pay!

And there it is…

Played for about 2 hours. It seems decent enough, although the way water is rendered in this is like a decade behind Just Cause 2, just utterly bizzare.
Next gen water shader:

Rest of the screens, with max details 4K downsampled:

To be fair, JC2 looked unreasonably good for its time.

And I thought the water in Just Cause 3 was fantastic. It’s bizarre they went backwards so much in this one.

Yes, but that just makes it even more bizzare, given that it all runs on the same engine just upgraded (or, apparently, downgraded).

I thought they fixed the water effects in JC4?

I’m struggling to see the problem. That first screenshot is supposed to look bad?

If they did, they still look like shit.

Oh wow. Yes. Have you played JC2?
I have seen better water effects in 3D Mark 2001.

Here, another:

Count me as not seeing the “problem” either. I think JC 4 is a darn impressive looking game with one of the better open world renderers. Also water looks fine to me.

I’m far more worried about if the mechanics of the game are interesting/balanced and if the game is engaging in the moment to moment activities than if the water is rendered properly.

JC2 was excellent in those regards, JC3 not nearly so much. Now that it’s free I’m looking forward to at least trying out JC4 to see where it lands, post all the patches.

Just a heads up: The chaos mechanic from JC2, where you destroy all the red items to “unlock” / free towns is still borked like in JC3. You can still destroy red stuff, but the unlocking mechanic is tied to regions, factions and missions. So the easy dip in / unlock a few towns / dip out that I loved about part 2 has not been restored.

Obviously, the water looking like shit is not gamebreaking. Just a peculiarity given how decade old game looks so much better.

Unfortunately I didn’t find the game engaging gameplay or story-wise either, so I already uninstalled it.

I’m finding it surprisingly good but these tethers and the squad advancing mechanics needed less cruft or a clearer UI… And press 1 to open/close the map, and backspace to go back… and hold enter and A/D to futz with tethers? It’s all doable, but it needed a PC pass at some point :)

Some of Rico’s movements are a bit floaty, and likewise the vehicles, but in a lot of places it’s kind of a physics tour de force.

Having fun, as they say round here.

And the water in JC3 looked incredible. It’s a weird thing to change, weren’t both games on consoles?