Kerbal Space Program

Yay, steam purchase history says June 2013, so free dlc. :) Ah, April was the cutoff. Oh well. :)

Looks awesome! Can’t wait!

Well thermal dynamics didn’t exist yet either, so bring along a rocket and aerobrake into a suicide burn to slow down.

Once they added reentry heat, this was no longer advisable ;)

lol. Well, lithobraking is still a thing. :)

Yeah, it was definitely prior to the introduction of thermals. I’m pretty sure you could still do it via the seat of your pants though. Which obviously is the only way to go.

For me KSP is the game that keeps on giving. This is one I bet I have a thousand hours in between mods, restarts, and the previous DLC. I think the additions they’ve added over the years have been the right ones and have added to what I love about the game. The obstacles you meet in KSP are on a nice even curve as you progress through learning about space flight.

P.S. Scott Manley has a great video on rendezvous that once you understand the whole thing trivializes the process and makes it easy. I did 3 rescue in space missions last night in one launch, and one orbit per Kerbal due to that video =)

Along those lines, DasTactic has just done a new series for beginners without mods. I never got far with KSP, so maybe I will reinstall and work through this.

Just watched the first couple. Kind of starts off pretty slow for a tutorial video, but lots of good info in there.

I hope you stick with it! KSP can be a really satisfying experience. I still get a kick out of orbital rendez-vous, docking, building space stations, and landing on other moons and planets.

IMO DasTactic tutorial are too slow and talks about details you don’t really need to know until later.
Or in the case of explaining the name of Australia launch info you never need to know. I have not played Kerbal in a year or so. It does appear that DasTactic is correct that you no longer need mods to play the game. Which is definitely a feature.

Scott Manley videos are really the gold standard and he has several tutorials that I think are lot more interesting and better paced. Alternatively, Quill18 videos might be ok,and are only a year old…

I’d highly recommend starting with career or possibly science rather than Sandbox. I think career is a lot of fun and the default mode allows you to restart mission with no penalty.

I’ve stated this before, but I agree entirely with @Spock, Kerbal is a gratifying experience. It is the only video game I’ve spent hundreds of hours, with no feeling of guilt (None of the why I’m wasting my life). Kerbal is the most fun you can have taking a physics course. If you have any interest in space, playing Kerbal will give you a much deeper understanding of the stuff the Elon, and Jeff Bezo’s are doing as well as appreciation of the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing.

I Totally agree. I have many 300+ hours games that I’ve spent a lot of time in. I only have one 1000+ hour game and that is Kerbal Space Program. I started a new career with no mods this patch to see how it would go, and I’m having a great time with it.

The things I miss the most without mods are Window Planner, Docking alignment, Chatterer and Science Alerts, but that’s just from playing with mods so long. I think they’ve done a pretty good job of filling in the part gaps over the years, and the new deltaV, Apo gauge, and node editor additions work just fine. I’m actually using Kerbnet this play through for the first time ever, because ScanSat has always been my go to.

Oh wow, you may have more time in the game than me. I say “may” because I may have more than 1000 hours too; I’ve often copied the game away from my Steam folder so I can experiment with different mod configurations.

I haven’t played for several months, so I’m really interested to hear how your modless game goes. Is there a stock version of Kerbal Alarm Clock now? If not, that’s the mod that I’d miss most. Like you, I think I could make do without everything else. But does stock let you set “alarms” in any way now?

It does not, but it does have the “warp here” button on trajectories, so that takes up some of the use of alarm clock. I still need to have the Transfer window planet website up to get to Duna, which is where I am at right now in my play through and it is working for the most part.

I may add ONE mod (Astrogator) for this reason, just to have an easy method of getting transfer window dates in the game window. I’m really just trying to play clean though.

I started looking for the most recent Scott Manley tutorials, but they’re pretty old. Then I stumbled on a reddit post that said the in-game tutorials now are actually quite good – so I’m going to try them first. Thanks!

Damn, this is gonna make me start Kerbeling again, isn’t it

Hah, I fired it up for the first time in a couple years last night. Those 2nd size solid fuel engines, just bigger than the small one you start with, packed more punch than I thought. Sent poor Valentine up beyond the atmosphere with a rocket using 2 of those. It was already bad when the science stuff got destroyed by heat on the way up, but it worse for poor Valentine when the heat started back up on the way down. RIP brave soul. A few missions later, after getting enough researched to have things like a heat shield and service bay, we sent Jebidiah skyward with a set of thumpers strapped to the side of his rocket. After a slight mishap in steering we tried to jettison all the engines and get him home, but the capsule was still getting pushed by an engine, and the chute got ripped off the ship, ending with Jebidiah gracefully arcing through the sky and into the ocean. I probably shouldn’t be in charge of a space program.

Remember that Kerbals have their own person parachutes now :)

Also, Kerbals have always been able to fall from space and survive, even without parachutes, as long as they’re not inside a vessel.

When is the expansion coming out again?