Kerbal Space Program

Thanks for that writeup on mods! I was interested to see Interstellar Extended on your list. I tried it once but never got very far, and I recall it being a bit buggy. It’s smoother now, I take it?

I would have to ask the guy who wrote it as I’ve never used that mod myself - I would assume so, as the reason he got the gig was because he’d put a ton of hours into it and the mod scene and knows what’s what.

There is a small caveat though that at the time of writing there were lots and lots of mods that hadn’t been updated to 1.7.x yet, so this is list (as well being split up into Must haves, Quality of Life and then just misc. mods of interest) had to work with what was 1.7.x compatible at the time of writing.

We’re going to be updating it regularly though so as more mods come up to speed, we can rotate and feature different ones.

Personally I hope the Outer Planets mods gets updated… although I’ve barely made it to the moon in all my time with KSP, so… :D

1.7 is still crashing for me after I disabled all my mods, so evidently I have some further work to do.

You might try doing a verify on Steam and see if that fixes it. As for mods, I looked back at the list I posed a couple of years ago, and I think most of my favorites are still the same. Some of the parts mods have changed, but the others are still a great set of mods that I look forward to being updated to 1.7.2…

Link to my list up Above…

Edit: Hmm, there are a few missing there. Maybe I need to update that list a bit…Still a good starting point if you want to know about KSP mods. A lot of the ones in the article are on my list from 2017…

I’m actually quite surprised so many of the mods aren’t updated yet. I guess I got spoiled by Rimworld and Warhammer as the bigger mods are so active and always updated within a week of patch release.

I’m surprised too. KSP modders often have updated as fast as that in the past, haven’t they? Anyway, I’m waiting a few more days to see how things shake out, but I’m looking forward to trying the new DLC.

I haven’t kept up with KSP in years, but I got the feeling that when Harvester and the original crew got squeezed out of Squad by the suits that the modding community took umbrage with that and started to put less effort in.

I just think it’s hard to keep up enthusiasm for maintaining and updating an unpaid hobby project over the course of many years. I did some modding early on and just gradually lost interest in adding new features, handling bug reports, and updating it every time the game updated. I turned my mod over to someone else, and it gradually got obsoleted by core game updates that assumed the same functions.

Yes please update!

Fishbreath, I had to uninstall completely. Something I did at one time or another put something within my steam folder for KSP directly not a sub folder. Once I reinstalled I was good.

@Fozzle - Any reason you don’t use FAR ie. Ferram Aerospace Research (realistic aerodynamics)?

My impression is that the stock aerodynamics improved enough a few years ago that only people who want the most exacting simulation need something like FAR. (Or rather FAR Continued now.)

Really?! Whoa I had no idea!

Here’s a sample reddit thread from 2015.

Version 1.0 of KSP included a complete overhaul of the aerodynamics system.

Is Deadly Re-entry still needed?

Nope. That got my buddy to stop playing, as his standard reentry procedure of “kill all velocity, drop straight down” stopped working.

Wow it has been so long since I’ve played I’m almost at a loss of what to do. I never played with either DLC before.

You could always try playing the game without any mods? :)

I was looking forward to revisiting Kerbin with the Breaking Ground expansion. And I decided, that I would try it out mod-less this time around. After my first career launch, I decided to add EVE visual improvements. After the second launch, I added [x] Science, because remembering it all was too tedious. Then I added KER, just out of old habit, because I was used to the KER way of displaying delta-v. All information is in the standard UI, I know, but habit… I don’t use KER on missions, only at builds. After five F9 reloads at my first docking attempt, with the tiny Jr. ports (which succeeded at fifth attempt, I might proudly add), I downloaded Docking Port Alignment. And Chaterer for good measure. I landed 3 Kerbals on Duna (a personal record), and are now trying to get an asteroid into Kerbin orbit. So I am probably going to get Kerbal Alarm Clock to help with that.

So much for playing mod-less…

I am really enjoying this re-play. I can’t think of any game that is as rewarding when a plan eventually come together as Kerbal Space Program is.

I’ve been combing through the mod stuff on CKAN and the forums and this is my messy list of things I’m considering adding. Be curious @Fozzle to see what you think.

Mod List:

• Transfer Windows Planner or Astrogater
  • X Science
  • Docking Port Alignment Indicator ?
  • Scatterer + EVE?
  • Chatterer
  • Graphics Enhancement Assembly https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/161683-171-graphics-enhancements-assembly-gea/
  • In addition to GEA, other options include Astronomer’s Visual Pack and Spectra.
    I’ve often seen them described as GEA being a good improvement, AVP being almost too pretty, with Spectra being the most realistic. Or stock visual enhancements & stock visual terrain
  • Kerbal alarm clock
  • Scansat
  • DMAgic Orbital Science
  • Kerbal attachment system
  • Restock?
  • RemoteTech, Commnet
  • KSP achievements
  • Smokescreen
  • Contract Pack
  • Distant Object Enhancement
  • Indicator lights
  • Aviation Lights
  • Kerbalism
  • Kopernicus
  • Near Future Tech
  • Realplume
  • Re-entry particle effect
  • Surface Experiment Pack
  • For Science!
  • GEA V7M2.0.4 eyecandy mod
  • Ship effects continued
  • Bluedog design Bureau
  • Camera Tools
  • Cryogenic engines
  • Sounding Rockets
  • KW Rocketry
  • Project Manager
  • Nanoguages
  • Physics Range Extender
  • Orbital Survey Plus
  • Space Age
  • Sum Dum
  • Kaptain’s Log
  • Jool biomes

Snacks! Plus Want more challenge? Check out the addons in the LifeSupportResources folder:

• Air - Kerbals need Fresh Air to breathe in addition to Snacks to eat. They’ll faint and die without it! Your vessels are automatically equipped with a supply of Fresh Air, and you can make more from Oxidizer via the stock ISRU parts, or recycle Stale Air using the stock Hitchhiker.
  • Stress - Cramped quarters can stress out kerbals and they’ll refuse to work! They aren’t tourists , they’ll just stop using their skills to help your mission. Other events cause Stress as well. Reduce Stress by hanging out in the stock Hitchhiker- but kerbals won’t have their skills available while they rest.