Kickstarting and Screaming

A couple years back, Alderac relaunched the old Deadlands-based CCG Doomtown as the LCG Doomtown: Reloaded. They did several cycles of expansions and then decided to shutter it. At some point subsequent to that, Pinnacle, who make the Deadlands RPG that it’s based on (as well as Savage Worlds more generally) apparently took over the game and they are now Kickstarting a new expansion:

$25 gets you the new expansion & PDF copies of a revised rulebook and a Doomtown sourcebook for Deadlands-the-RPG.
$50 gets you that plus a stylish new box for storing the entire run of Doomtown w/ dividers, plus print copies of the rulebook and Doomtown sourcebook for Deadlands-the-RPG.
$75 gets you that plus a Doomtown: Reloaded base set.
$250 gets you all of the above plus every single expansion released for the previous run of the game, all compatible with the new version.

Or you can add on expansions at $10 for the small box expansions and $15 for the bigger ones.

I really love Doomtown so I backed as soon as I noticed this KS had hit.

Man, that’s nothing. I know a guy that spends a few million dollars just about every weekend so he can go golfing.

(rimshot)

When I was playing board games more actively, I usually ended up playing about 60-80 new games a year. Some people I occasionally play with average about 200-300 new games a year.

The games from this guy’s Kickstarters will probably arrive over a period of 3+ years. The main problem with getting them played would be that a lot of it looks like total garbage.

From the guy who gave us The Darkest Dungeon.

I really enjoyed Thea. Here’s their kickstarter for Thea 2:

Tiny Epic Defenders 2nd Edition and its expansion are live on Kickstarter now:

As did I. This is the first KS I have backed since Battletech.

For those that liked his Commodore 64 music:

Not sure if anyone else backed Asylum back in 2013. But the latest backer post has finally mentioned a release date window (Mid 2018).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/agustincordes/asylum-kickstart-the-horror/description

They have been working on this game almost 9 years now! D:

Oh wow, I had completely forgotten about this one!
I had been following this for a long time over at Adventure Gamers, but then gradually stopped visiting that site for some reason. I was really looking forward to this game, but it was moving so glacially slow that i must have given up, and figured I’d just buy it when it was released. Glad to see that it’s still alive. I will once again start looking forward to it.

I’ve backed well over 100 kicks. No regrets, nowhere near 10k. My biggest was $1k to be an NPC in Wasteland. (Sam the cook).

Any thoughts on this one? Looks kinda cool:

(Disclaimer: devs are friends of mine. Cool project nevertheless!)

I’m certainly interested in it. I’m passing on the kickstarter until I see it in action. The company happens to be based in Nashville. I called them up and asked if I could get a demo over the holidays. My thought is that it’s going to do well based on KS numbers and it will be released afterwards. There are no exclusives (that I’ve seen).

So am I the only person who didn’t realize The Wild Eight is kind of dead in the water, and why are they calling it a success? It’s not even released. Well apparently the publisher took it due to internal issues, whatever that is, but to call it a success while not fully released is insulting.

Just got a recommendation (after backing Ogre Miniatures Set 2) for a boardgame called Badlands Outpost of Humanity, apparently a Mad Max-like postapocalyptic strategy game with players competing to bring their outpost to maximum influence in the dirty far future. Looks cool, but between this and the Infection at Outpost 31 I’m not sure which, if either, movie-based property would be more fun to play!

Also, got a recommendation for a new German sci-fi adventure game called Truberbrook (pretty sure there should be an umlaut in there, but damned if I can figure out how to do it with my phone). Recommendation from Ron Gilbert is enough for me, I’m in!

Decided to go through my still pending release Kickstarters since 2012, here is what I am still waiting for:

Still look good:
Limit Theory: An Infinite, Procedural Space Game (Maybe 2018?)
ASYLUM: From the designer of Scratches (Maybe 2018?)
Witchmarsh (July 2017 last update, due out in 2018!!!)
InSomnia - An RPG Set in a Brutal Dieselpunk Universe (September update, due out 2018!!!)
Pathologic 2 (September 2017 update, on track for 2018!!!)
Ray’s the Dead (October update, on track for 2018!!!)
Underworld Ascendant (October 2017 update, on track for 2018 release!!!)
BATTLETECH (November 2017 update, on track for 2018 release!!!)
BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION (October 2017 update, on track for 2019 release!!!)

Dead or not looking good: Lost me $65 overall…
ROAM (No updates since 2015, legal issues, DEAD)
The Mandate (Last update April 2017, ran out of money, DEAD)
That Which Sleeps (May 2017 update, might be dead might not… maybe 2018?)

I didn’t back any games in 2016 and only 1 in 2017. Just about every game I did back was at least 2 years late. Kickstarting PC games seems pretty much dead nowadays, right?