Kickstarting and Screaming

What’s wrong with Fig?

It still does I think. I’ve backed on multiple platforms, but because Kickstarter only charges you if successful, I feel like it’s the most trusted. At least for me it is. I’ve had no problems with Fig or IndieGoGo though.

Thanks all, again super helpful. Sounds like Kickstarter is still the default choice with others having pros and cons. I will say I think Indiegogo’s post funded system of In Demand seems pretty cool. But apparently you can use it even if you were funded on KickStarter (for an xtra fee) so thats cool.

Anyways thanks again folks!

I also have relatively warmer feelings toward Kickstarter because they’re registered as a Public Benefit corporation:

Benefit Corporations are different. Benefit Corporations are for-profit companies that are obligated to consider the impact of their decisions on society, not only shareholders. Radically, positive impact on society becomes part of a Benefit Corporation’s legally defined goals.

Huh. I have never heard of Benefit Corporations before this. I like the idea but I wonder if there will end up being a practical difference between that and companies that just happen to be run in a positive way at a given moment.

The change happened around three years ago and they’re legally obligated to it, so it’s not just an empty promise. Compared to normal corporations where they’re legally obligated to maximize shareholder value but they might do good things for appearances now and then (to in turn increase shareholder value).

Here is one of their statements from their first year of being a PBC:

I’m just skeptical that those supposed legal obligations will receive practical enforcement.

The ownership gimmick.

At least they’re trying. It says a lot about the attempt as opposed to what most companies do today.

My understanding is that Fig was created by gaming companies (and others) to create a fee structure less punitive to them than kickstarter – so the game companies get more of the money you invest.

It also allows some other investment options, or at least that was the plan. Unsure how well that went over with securities regulators.

Fig finally cleared the investment hurdles last year and had their first profitable payout to those investers in July:

Fig seems interesting. I respect the folks involved a lot.

It is really about market exposure, and I think KS still has that as #1. Their forum software and the way one interacts with backers is amazingly primitive.

Yeah, basically. Facebook has certainly proved that you don’t have to have the best service or functionality to dominate as long as you have the majority of the userbase.

Microsoft proved that a long time ago.

Henry Ford proved that long ago.

Or at least I think he did. I have the impression early ford cars weren’t top of the range but had the market share.

I may be wrong. Wouldn’t be the first time.

They had actual consumer advantages, like being relatively affordable. Facebook is awful but no one will switch to something better because literally everyone else would also have to switch to continue the primary purpose of using them at all.

Ahh I get the distinction. A version of too big to fail?

Tom posted his Patreon vid where he counter recommands (for its name only) Achtung Cthulhu.
Well the stars are strange indeed, as I just got an email promoting a pseudo kickstarter (looks pretty much like a preorder store) for some videogame… adaptation? spinoff? of it.

Hah, the local RPG meetup I’m in is running their January-March Semi Organized Play group campaign using that ruleset. It’s going really well!