Kickstarting and Screaming

The guys from the Rusty Lake series are making a short film/game:

The movie will contain hints for the escape room game. It could be interesting.

Today I received two Steam keys in my email.
Key the first was for Handelabra’s implementation of One Deck Dungeon, funded 12/1/17. Finished and releasing next week.
Key the second was for Arakion, funded 10/6/12. (Which is launching into Steam early access next week, not done.)

Kind of a contrast in turnaround times there…

Edit: I misread, won’t be getting my ODD key til next week. But hey.

Well, there is another thread about this already, but the Myst Kickstarter is on its last legs:

Y’know, this is typical kickstarting doubt for me. I’m a big Myst fan (I’ve written a chapter on Myst in a book about adventure games). Having a physical Myst linking book seems pretty swell (I hope it does look nice), but it is one more piece of junk in the house. Plus, it’s all games I own and have played from top to bottom already and this probably won’t get me to play the games again anyway. They won’t add anything new, it’s just about fixing what’s broken as most Myst games barely work on modern machines despite being on Steam. They’re PC games, though, so they’ll have to go around and do it all again eventually.

I guess it comes down to which one will win: kickstarter FOMO or me usually being cheap.

So I just backed the second Kickstarter of Monte Cook Games’ “No Thank You, Evil!” since it is quite hard to find and I’m hoping my young kids may enjoy it as a kind of baby’s first RPG experience. Of course the Kickstarter has to succeed in order for that to happen, so here’s hoping.

Hope the KS goes well! I have the 1st edition from almost a year ago but haven’t been able to get a game going yet. Need to try it again now that the girls are a year older as I think it’ll go better now!

So I’ve been telling people I’ve backed “over a hundred” kickstarters for a while now. I just looked and, uh, apparently I just passed 350 this week. Gulp.

I wish there was a way to follow other Kickstarter enthusiasts without being friends on Facebook but it seems to be the only way. If anyone cares to see what I’m digging I am www.facebook.com/Navesink - please note Q23 if you send me a request and let me know if you back a lot too.

Damn, that is quite a few Kickstarters. I think I’m somewhere around 115 without looking. All but a few are board game-related and only one that seems doubtful it’ll ever be fulfilled.

Fuuuuuuuuuck

I’m surprised the perfect storm of geeky computer games, boardgames, and kickstarter hasn’t been posted yet. This was announced at PDXCON I do believe.

Here’s the announcement

Man, I thought I had a lot at 191.

I shall endeavour to try the CK board game today.

Assuming I manage that I’ll post impressions.

edit: never got a chance to play it but did chat to about 4 people that did, and they all loved it. They said it was a bit slow at the beginning, due to figuring out the rules, but the game ends after 5 rounds, winner being the person with most VPs. Also, game ends if/when someone captures Jerusalem.

One guy told a story where a player got over extended and promptly got back stabbed by 3 other players.

Sounds very CK!

Fear not, that is a shit ton of Kickstarters!

I haven’t seen anybody around here talking about these headphones, so maybe nobody here has been affected:

The company raised $2.7 million on Kickstarter and $3.2 million on Indiegogo for their Ossic X headphones which they pitched as a pair of high-end head-tracking headphones that would be perfect for listening to 3D audio, especially in a VR environment. While the company also raised a “substantial seed investment,” in a letter on the Ossic website, the company blamed the slow adoption of virtual reality alongside their crowdfunding campaign stretch goals which bogged down their R&D team.

4 posts above yours…

I’m pissed but not surprised.

I’ve backed 350+ kicks, this is like #5 to not deliver

Blame the shitty search feature. There was only one hit for Ossic, from 2005, and it had nothing to do with these headphones.

Ultimately what seems clear in the last few years of Kickstarter successes and failures is that it’s OK to back known entities from proven creators who have regularly delivered things on the past, but stay the heck away from anything claiming to deliver the “first ever” or anything they claim is “innovative” or anything from washed-up people from decades ago who haven’t shipped something for a really long time.

I mean, it’s obvious especially in retrospect, but the same rules of innovation as ever apply - if you think you can deliver on something groundbreaking and innovative, you should really think about why that thing doesn’t already exist. Usually the answer is because “it’s fucking hard and expensive as hell”.

Too many times these Kickstarter pitches make it sound like the creators look down on everyone else, saying “those idiots never thought of doing this, but I did, and I can deliver even though no one else has been able to yet”. Yeah, and all they need is to burn millions of dollars of your cash with zero risk to themselves.

I don’t know, I like backing folks who are new because they seem to have the most interesting ideas. I will say that I view Kickstarter and the like just the same way I view Las Vegas - don’t spend money you don’t have, and don’t expect a return. I broke my own rules several times I be past, I bet pretty big on stuff like Ogre and Double Fine and Wasteland 2, but then I was still getting the hang of how all this worked too. I’ve scaled back a bit, and try to be a bit more circumspect about where I drop my bucks. I’ve lost out on a couple failed projects but luckily not all that much.

The new people with interesting ideas also seem to be the most naive. Which is probably why they were unable to get funding through traditional sources and instead went to Kickstarter in the first place.

And that’s why there’s still a place for something like Kickstarter in the funding process. Not all interesting and new ideas are good, and even then not all the good ones will find an audience but this is a way to try to reach directly to an audience. Whether or not a developer is “naive” or not is beside the point to me, unless it results in a project’s funding getting drastically over- or underestimated, and I think folks are getting better at spotting those.

What Kickstarter campaigns are you aware of where:

• It was a genuinely new and innovative thing no one has done before
  • It was a groundbreaking success in how much funding it got
  • It delivered a final product which lived up to initial promises, and was genuinely new and innovative once it released

I’m not as concerned with timelines - shit gets delayed and that’s fine - but I’m having trouble thinking of any campaigns which met the three bullet points I outlined above.