Kickstarting and Screaming

From an outside perspective, I feel like they were aiming for too much too soon, but I hope they figure it out. In perspective three years seems reasonable for what they are trying to do with a very small team, but obviously they’ve had some development hiccups.

I’m not invested in the outcome, but I hope they end up with something decent and don’t implode or something.

I knew they would never make the initial ‘6 months to alpha’ estimate…that seemed very green…and I still bought in.

The real problem is they are continuously grossly underestimating their time after the first Mea Culpa. This is the fourth deferment, and it appears to be a random time 1 year, 2 months, 8 months, 6 months…and this is for the "private closed alpha for backers’, the public product must be years away. It really gives the impression they do not have any idea how long things take - so one has to question what else are they naive about. They have already mentioned a level of burn out from the core team, and that was a year ago.

I think they have pretty much raised all the cash they can. If they really do have 16 or so people now working on it, the project is either going to launch or fail pretty quick.

I watched some of the discord action last night and it was pretty predictable. Angry gamers vs. fanbois. It looked like in that forum there were still more fanbois.

Apparently Richard Garfield and Ken Jennings collaborated on a trivia game, on Kickstarter for the next few days:

More backers than daily Artifact players.

Ugggh, I would love that, but who the heck would I play it with?

It’s looks similar to Wits and Wagers, but with 3 correct answers instead of 1, and the players don’t generate the answers?

I wonder why it’s doing to well. Purely because of Jennings and Garfield?

Yeah, probably. Star power works on Kickstarter.

Man, Aeon Trespass: Odyssey looks really cool, and while it’s avowedly inspired by KD:M, looks a lot more appealing to me from a number of angles, including a higher emphasis on story, a much less cheesecake aesthetic (and I haven’t seen anything like the juvenalia that undercut KD:M’s horror mood for me), pre-assembled minis (I’d rather not do them at all but oh well), and a relatively affordable core box price tag of a “mere” $130.

…and now they’ve announced two expansion addons, each representing maybe a third of that core box content, for $100 a pop, with a discounted bundle that shaves only $30 off the staggering $330 you’d pay separately. So much for relatively affordable.

I guess I don’t have to get the addons, but jeez.

I’m on the same boat. Those addons are making me way less likely to back.

Not gaming related but in…

Dragon Age and Mass Effect scribe David Gaider and a bunch of other veterans have started a studio to execute on a long overdue idea: an adventure game musical.

Laura Bailey had me immediately interested, but everything else about the project leaves me cold.

Just got my copy of Agents of Mayhem. That’s a lot of game.

I just looked it up and it said

ESTIMATED DELIVERY
Sep 2018

What was the delay? A year long delay is excessive for a boardgame. ickstarter.

Honestly delays that long and longer are quite common with boardgame Kickstarters. Especially ones with a lot of minis, because those can have a lot of back and forth about getting the minis right. (Of course there can also be issues with production of non-mini components but because minis have to be sculpted a particular distinct way for each type they are more difficult to produce to the envisioned standard.)

A kickstarter for a quarterly boardgaming magazine. Their contributors include the inestimable Dan Thurot, so this is a no-brainer for me. (Even if a print magazine seems like a starry-eyed pipe dream these days.)

Are any High Frontier 3rd edition owners upgrading to the 4th? Not sure it’s worth it.

Looks like they’re adding more basic modes (not interested), splitting it into bits and making it more a system i.e. an unfinished evolving product…

I’m getting it. I like a lot of the new rules and some of the proposed future modules

Ever Space 2 needs to get over the finish line if anybody was interested. It’s going to be Open World and I really enjoyed the first one.

Good of you to point this out. I’d love to play an Everspace 2, I like the first game.

In case anybody is worried they’d be supporting gaming terrorism by helping to fund this game, fear not!:

Will this be an Epic Store Exclusive?

Simple answer: No EGS exclusive.

Long answer: We already announced that Everspace 2 will launch on Steam Early Access September 2020 and not anywhere else. We’re aware that other devs have changed their minds, so consider this: Valve (because of Steam) and Epic Games (because of Unreal Engine) are equally important partners to us, so there’s really no good reason for us to become exclusive. Furthermore, we have just enough padding to deliver on our promise. With your support, we plan on delivering even more.

Update: We read on the internet that a few PC gamers are still concerned, so we are doubling-down on our promise that Everspace 2 with this official interview Everspace 2: Rockfish's not so difficult second album | GamesIndustry.biz