King Arthur: Knight's Tale - X-HOMM from Neocore

In an early voluntary mission (one that recruits a knight) there is an enemy type “Lost”. One of the encounter boss types blows up the squares around him to the point where the affected heroes would likely need to heal in the infirmary for 1-3 missions. During the same mission in a different encounter the encounter boss summoned a totem. I shot the encounter boss with a backstab high damage attack and got that damage reflected back on me due to the totem needing to be destroyed first. AFAIK those mechanics aren’t explained but I am playing with the volume muted so it’s possible I just missed it. I fully expect different mechanics like this further into the game.

I personally think this is a little like the Xcom2 expansion bosses that have mechanics you have to learn in order to be successful against them.

streamed another 7 hours today. digging it but it definitely has it’s problems as well. hating the overuse of temporal aa though

Both of those have short warnings in dialogue leading up to them. first one is a ‘it’s dangerous to be close to that one’ and the other one was a straight forward, take out the totem first or else type warning.

20 hours in and I am still enjoying it a lot. It has been stable and outside of the huge install cannot find any faults with it. If you think this is something you would like then I recommend you strongly consider it.

I kickstarted it, just started playing this weekend. It took a while for me to get into it, as I find the console like navigation system offputting, and the outdoor maps are very much on rails in the style of some older games. that would be Less of an issue for me if they didn’t try to encourage exploration by scattering random treasures around. However, remarked up thread there is a nice range of enemies and enemy abilities, so I’m enjoying the combat. I also like the arhurian seting, even though most of the role-playing decisions end up being driven by picture of one that matches the targeted morality. I’m going righteous Christian this time.

I know that armor can absorb hits, but what does it mean to “block” then? Same thing or a different mechanic!

It is a similar mechanic. The defender class and some enemies carries around a shield. On Mordred by default (I think) he can reduce or outright negate the damage of a hit 30% of the time. Unlike armor this isn’t depleted during a mission but does suffer from RNG.

block only works from the front as well. I think it’s supposed to be a % reduction in damage though, not just a 100% reduction. Armor combined with block can easily make a hit do nothing though.

Thanks for the clarification Harkonis. I’m sure I missed the block works towards the front thing as my Mordred is wearing an armor that turns him towards attacks.

thanks both! i wish this sort of thing was better documented. is block percent shown on the character somewhere?
also, while I am listing complaints I really wish I could inspect the character during the missions and not try to remember what gear each one is wearing

the lack of looking at my character’s gear during a mission is very irritating. trying to remember if he’s wearing the armor that ignores opportunity attacks and then deciding he has it only to get hit when trying to move is pretty awful.

Inquisitor was like this at first as well, but they added it in. Strange it’s not here from jump.

How could anyone think that was a good idea??

Game seems to be getting reviewed well by Steam users, many do mention there are still a lot of bugs.

Cloud saves are now working with the latest patch so that is convenient for me when I switch between desktop and laptop. I did have one stability incident in 50 or so hours of play where an NPC was glitched and had a walking animation during a cut scene and couldn’t reach the destination and it just sat there until I forced the game closed. I am aware other bugs dealing with gear stats sometimes not working or loyalty bonus sometimes not working. I am having fun with it but it has more to go to be completely fixed.

WH40K Chaos Gate is scratching this itch for me now so I will hold off on this for awhile. I’m strongly leaning towards buying it but only in a few months, so the timing works out.

This reviewer liked it a lot:

Any recent impressions on this? I’m considering giving it a go now - looks like they have a patch out.

I honestly got bored with it and went back to Inquisitor. I find I don’t have much patience for turn-based tactics anymore.

Whereas I find pretty much all non-turn based gaming to be annoying and frenetic.

Different strokes, etc.