Los Angeles' "Carmageddon"

That sounds awesome. Fuck summer, seriously. It’s overrated. I’m counting down the days to fall already.

Shut your mouth, this weather is great. And it got up to almost 100 last summer, so I have no idea what you’re talking about with “No summer for 2 years”.

Hell yeah!

Good god there is a lot of delicious food served in trucks around here. More cities need this. Today we are going to try out the much heralded “grilled cheese truck”. DC has good food trucks but not on this scale or variety.

The peak doesn’t matter, it’s the median. Even then, last year by this time in the month of July it had 6 days of 80+ weather, so far we’ve had only 3 (and we haven’t cracked 90 yet). All the meteorological reports I’ve seen (Cliff Mass and TWS) are saying this is one of the dreariest July months in memory.

I’m not specifically looking for ‘make it hot’, but for fuck’s sake, can it stop being overcast and COLD all the goddamn time?

Seriously, open up the July 2009, 2010 and 2011 monthlies side by side. 09 was definitely a scorcher, 2010 was ‘meh’ and we had summer for all of like 3 weeks, and this year it’s like it skipped by. Traditionally a Seattle Summer was something that was really nice from mid-June through mid-August. This year it looks like it’ll be for like, two weeks.

CARMEGEDDON! Massive traffic jam (at least in theory). Not Seattle vs. L.A. weather (or clouds vs. sun). I mean, if you want to talk about those two lane Hot Wheels ramps that Seattle calls freeways, well, at least that is somewhat close to the subject.

Harrumph!

;-)

Let’s just say your definition of real nice and mine are different. I fucking love this weather.

Let’s just say your definition of real nice and mine are different. I fucking love this weather.

As someone who grew up in L.A. during the 70s and 80s, the improvement in air quality is startling. I’m talking about days when they didn’t let us leave the classroms during lunch, and spending more than 10-15 minutes of exercise outside resulted in asthma-like symptoms. Because of California’s “draconian” emissions requirements (and its status as the third largest car market in ghte world behind the US and Europe, giving it the ability to force those changes), the air isn’t bad. The haze is mostly a result of the heat of the paved city colliding with the cool ocean air. Of course the city exports its smog to the inland empire; take that, Riverside!

I’ve seen more serious smog issues living in Seattle than the last few years I lived in L.A. There was a week where a convergence zone sat over the Eastside and the air sorta died; it was horrific, a real throwback to those 70s and 80s days in L.A. I was wheezing every day like I swallowed a cat, it made your eyes water, ugh.

Now Vermont… that state has no smog. Its air is glorious. No traffic too. Or people.

Don’t miss out on The Shrimp Pimp. Definitely one of my favorite food trucks.

The problem with Seattle this year is that The Deal Was Broken.

The Deal? Winter is awful, drizzling rain and overcast for 3 straight months. Fall and spring are ok, a bit chilly and overcast sometimes. Summer is gorgeous for 3 months straight.

That’s how it’s supposed to work, at any rate. What we actually got is extra-shitty winter, spring that’s link winter, and summer that’s halfway between winter and spring. I expect Lake Washington to freeze solid this winter at the rate things are going.

Perception vs. reality seems off a bit this summer for Seattle weather. BTG’s link shows that the average/normal high temperature for Seattle in July ranges from 73 to 77. So far this July we’ve had only two days where the high was below 70, and that’s countered by 3 over 80 days. So the average temp. is a bit lower then normal and rainfall only .02" ahead of normal - hardly “OMG THERES NO SUMMER”.

Even Cliff Mass says “It seems worse then it actually is.”

Average vs. normal aren’t what decide how a weather system ‘feels’, it’s distribution of temperatures, and if you look at my links by daily temps you can see that the distribution is off kilter and WAY off from 09.

So far this July we’ve had only two days where the high was below 70, and that’s countered by 3 over 80 days. So the average temp. is a bit lower then normal and rainfall only .02" ahead of normal - hardly “OMG THERES NO SUMMER”.

Except last year we had six days of 80+ – and last year we barely had a summer as well. And even comparing July vs. July, last year had more sunny days by now as well.

So this year is marginally worse than last year, and these past two years have been significantly less sunny or dry than 09. 09 was really hot.

2008 is what I think most people expect from “The Deal”. Very little rain, temps in the mid-70s.

[quote]
Even Cliff Mass says “It seems worse then it actually is.”

[/quote]

If you read the actual article he actually does say it feels crappy because of the distribution of temperatures and rainfall being different this year, i.e. end of July is when we’re supposed to have good weather and so far it’s not looking to be the case. You can also check Cliff Mass Weather Blog: This is Getting Bizarre

A lot of the haze you see in LA is Marine Layer. I’m not entirely clear what that means, or if its just a fancy name for fog or something.

Low coastal clouds I think.

The average high temperature for the month so far is only .2 degrees lower then normal and until last Saturday (when it still reached 74) we were actually way behind on rainfall. Have there been fewer sunny days then normal? And more cool days then normal? Sure. But that’s not the only way to define summer.

Besides, it’s only mid-July. There still plenty of month to be written weather-wise, including a predicted 80+ day this weekend.

And you LA people can keep talking about how haze is not air pollution and its all just a “marine layer” but there’s a reason why LA is still near the top of this American Lung Association list of the most polluted city air in the US while Seattle only shows up in one of the three categories. High ozone days? 241 (Seattle has 0). High particle matter days? 57 (Seattle has 1). Breathe deeply! ;-)

I’m pretty sure no one said any such thing. We’re just trying to tell you that haze and smog aren’t the same thing. There’s no need to go all P&R on us by linking to Science Fact-Type Stuff.

-Tom

Seattle people complaining about weather. How adorable!

I just have no place from where I can relate to this attitude.

Summer is beach trips, bike riding, gardening, sitting on the porch reading a book, grilling, etc.

Winter is sitting inside and thinking about how cold it is and how much you loathe the idea of digging your car out tomorrow so you can get to work.

Coastal Eddie Would Know.

PS - I think the Marine Layer is down around Camp Pendleton?