Lost in Space Remake in the works, by Netflix

You’re absolutely right. About me not reading much published material about Star Trek. :) Nor have I seen much broadcasted footage of the things. I freely admit that I simply don’t “get” Star Trek. It’s like watching Noh theater or hearing a didgerdoo concert. I’m all, like, uh, what?

Still, I’m surprised anyone would roll out TOS without the words Star and Trek somewhere in the same paragraph.

Star Trek is serious business!

-Tom

Erin Gray in tight spandex is timeless.

Cool. I’ve never seen the original, and the Matt LeBlanc movie kind of sucked, but I liked the premise. It’s basically Swiss Family Robinson crossed with Star Trek Voyager.

I sure hope they aren’t planning to found a new colony with 5 people. Gonna be some serious genetic issues there.

And where the hell is Dr. Smith?

Irwin Allen shows were always entertaining, and the music was a huge part of that. There wasn’t much like them on TV at the time. People are spoiled today.

Doctor Smith is being played by Parker Posey. That could be excellent - she’s a really solid actress.

Also, instead of being the pilot, apparently Don West is a blue-collar station worker who gets stranded with them somehow.

Terrible teaser. I couldn’t care less about the Robinson family as anything other than scheme fodder for Parker Posey.

-Tom

Wasn’t he a stowaway in the original show? Maybe he(she)'s hiding out in an equipment locker already.

I actually just watched the (er, somewhat) recent film with Matt LeBlanc because of the amazing Episodes. It was a lot of fun, but just don’t think about the time-travel/science … at all. But I probably would have enjoyed it in the theater back in the day.

Now, I’m not recommending anyone watch that, but it is my only experience with the property itself, and I am kind of interested in this new show thanks to it, fwiw.

I haven’t seen more than a few minutes of the TV show, but it seems to me like a 2010s darker & edgier reboot would actually make sense. Being stranded out in space with your kids ought to be terrifying.

And since Voyager was Star Trek crossed with Lost in Space, that makes this… Lost in Space crossed with itself?

This.

I am super stoked to see Posey as Dr Smith. That’s inspired casting/re-imagining.

Wow, my browser completely chocked on that link. Too many ads and javascript stuff going on. I’ll need to view it with an ad-blocker later. Seems promising though. I saw that it was a B+.

This is where I stopped reading the review:

"… the Robinson family’s bid to be part of a colonization of the planet Alpha Centauri "

Variety’s take:

A better title for “Lost in Space” would be “Mired in Mediocrity.”

Updating the 1960s series for the Netflix age was a good idea, but the execution is lacking in this new chronicle of the Robinson family’s spacefaring adventures. Once the drama gets past its first three episodes — which take too long to lay out a very simple series of premises — much of the action plays out, inevitably, in a forest outside Vancouver. Lots of sci-fi shows have similarly familiar and utilitarian settings, and far less money than this 10-episode drama, so they focus on creating meaty, surprising relationships and supplying vivid adventures.

6 out of 8 Stargate episodes were filmed in a forest outside Vancouver. It must be the most filmed piece of forest ever!

I don’t want to bother digging up the link, but IGN reviewed it last week and gave it (I want to say) a 9.1 or something. Seemed like the reviewer really dug it, but I didn’t want to read the text (“spoiler free” my ass - they already spoiled A Quiet Place a little with a headline they have right now on their front fucking page, it feels like).

It’s at 91% on RT right now (20 fresh vs 2 rotten). One of the rotten is the Variety review (it’s 3/2 among “top critics” for those that care about such things). I want to say I read a TV AV Club review that liked it and praised Parker Posey (which, don’t get me wrong, is always a correct thing to do but also sounds promising).