Mafia 3 - More RICO antics

Wait a minute, he wares the same clothes the entire game? I could have sworn I saw some outfit changes in a few of the videos I saw. :|

Hmmm…

Until they release the “free update” sometime later. Lincoln does change his wardrobe via story bits, but there’s no player customization for now.

Definitely feels that way. The 60fps patch should hit this weekend.

We currently have a patch running here at the studio that includes 30, 60, and unlimited frames-per-second options in the video menu, among other improvements for the PC version of Mafia III. We’re verifying the patch now to ensure everything is working as expected. If everything goes well, we expect the update to go live this weekend. We will be keeping the PC community up-to-date on the status of the patch throughout the weekend and thank you for all the feedback!

Why do these companies insist on fucking up their reputation after 5 years of development I will never understand. But at least it will be hopefully fixed, unless the optimization itself is trash and the game won’t run at 60 anyway. I doubt it will fix many other issues the game has though.
In certain moments the game seems to look worse than Mafia 1…

Mafia games were too linear for me. And that doesn’t mean you have to put Ubisoft filler content in the city to make the complete, but at least the ‘campaign’ missions should be designed in a way that utilize the fact you have a sandbox available. Like, each mission could be a little sandbox-type gameplay experience in a specific area.

Do you also dislike games like Max Payne for being linear? That’s how I always looked at Mafia, as a linear storydriven action game set in an open city for increase of immersion. Not as a sandbox. It was specifically designed this way to evoke classic mafia film feeling.
I wouldn’t mind more open design, but I like how directed it is as well.

Played for an hour - pretty good so far, nice production values. Despite the 30fps cap, it looks and runs really well. I have a Logitech G910 keyboard and the game lights up the keys with a red III logo, which is neat.

One thing to note is that whatever graphics settings you choose in the launcher are not respected in the game. I had to go into options once the game had started and reset everything to max, so that might be why some people are seeing poor graphics in-game.

Oh, and the Playboy mags are back! This time joined with some other collectibles.

So I played for an hour too. The 30fps cap is simply insane. Even the menus are stuttery because they are based around panning left-right, which at 30fps with bad framepacing results in stuttery mess. The hilarious thing of course is that my GPU runs at around 40-50% of utilization, with graphics maxed out, at 1080p. So it could run the game at 60fps no problems (unless there are other deeper issues) if the clowns at 2K didn’t cap it.

Also, the game ended my first hour sessions (when I was just driving like crazy around the city) with a crash to windows (I have it recorded, uploading to youtube).

Graphics looks weird. It looks kinda decent and atmospheric while looking like shit at the same time. Dunno how to describe it. It is definitely nothing like the screenshots and early trailers though. Mafia 2 looked much more consistent.

Story is the main thing that seems to be pretty good so far. Nigger here nigger there feels a bit on the nose, but I guess the sixties in south were like that. The disclaimer when starting the game felt lame though.

No crashes yet, but the chromatic aberration is out of hand. It’s so strong in spots, it makes the edges of things look blurry. There’s also been a few muddy/low res textures. I hope the promised weekend patch allows PC users to adjust some of these effects.

Here is the video:

I think it will be a good game once it gets fixed.

Is there any in-cockpit driving?

Nope, only hood.

Wish it was, love it in GTA and Watch Dogs and Crew and everything that has it.

Due to the lack of review copies, Eurogamer is delaying their review until next week. Instead, they streamed the game on PS4 for 3 hours today:

I wouldn’t advocate watching all 3 hours. But it’s quite useful to jump around to see how the game plays, what the missions are like, …,

Doesn’t look bad at all to me. But doesn’t look amazing either.

Wendelius

There is absolutely no AI here. In the first proper combat mission (Haitians) you can sit in a shack and either whistle or shoot nearby enemies to have them form a neat procession to your hiding place, at which point you press B for gameplay. It’s ludicrously bad. They all have the same barks and they look identical piled up on the floor. You can’t see the physics glitches in a screenshot, of course, but rest assured one of them is going to jiggle forever.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=776671376

Billy Harms was the lead writer? Shit, I need to get this.

PC players might want to consider this reshade package which dramatically improves the look of the game - gets rid of a lot of the blurriness and adjusts the vibrance to look less washed out… Just drop it into the Mafia 3 folder and it’s scroll-lock to switch it on and off. You’ll need to fiddle with your in-game brightness setting to taste.

https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/6205/

Comparison screenshots are included on the page.

That does seem like huge improvement. Gonna try it out once the patch hits. I really hope I will be able to get 60fps without drops…

Been using it for a few hours. Seriously a night and day improvement, and the game looks a lot more like the promo screenshots, sharp and vibrant. Turning the filter on and off to compare with the vanilla is hilarious because vanilla looks so very bad.

Hmmm. New Orleans is one of my favorite cities in the world. and I actually prefer more sandbox these days. I’m not too worried about the graphics. I’ll be playing on the PS4 so what I get, I get (no mods.)

Looks kinda like GTA in New Orleans. I’m good with that…

but I just remembered, I never got very far into GTAV on my console, I was waiting for it to come out on PS4, and was excited about the first person view in that version. Then I got Witcher 3 and forgot all about GTA V. Perhaps first GTA V, then see what people think of Mafia 3 after a month or so…