March for Our Lives - March 24, 2018

The Posobiec’s of the American Right were just A-OK with the Tea Party being genuinely grassroots for all of about 5 seconds before their oligarchy subsumed it and their rallies saw Koch/Mercer/etc buses. Fucking hypocrites.

Posobiec was one of the first people on Twitter to ever block me, but I honestly can’t recall what I did to freak him out.

You were probably reasonable and didn’t say enough about bad things about black people in your timeline.

I’m really curious if we were able to manage to actually repeal the 2nd Amendment in 5-10 years if all those spawn camping on the Constitution for their gun rights would immediately turn against the Constitution if it were legally abolished?

Because i suspect a significant minority of gun owners would.

That is, a lot of people support the mandate for gun ownership publically because they feel they’re being the most “responsible” following the letter of the law - they’re the ones “defending the Constitution” against the godless commie liberals that would deny their god-given rights to exercise their freedoms the way the Founding Fathers wanted them to ect ect. Would they immediately turn around and declare the amended Constitution illegitimate if it were changed?

IE, it’s all just post hoc justification for doing what they want to do anyway?

These kids continue to amaze.

And some otherwise reasonable people I know who are gun owners continue to lose their shit.

And the attacks on them get more desperate.

And these kids are smart in PR too, they deliberately had only kids speak, even the celebs just entertained.

Maybe. Though it isn’t like the change itself couldn’t be repealed. And said change will never happen anyway. If we can’t change things to stop Citizens United then nothing is ever going to happen on the Amendment side of things barring silly crap like dictating wages of Congresscritters or the like.

The good news is that Trump might stop or at least slow the GOP domination of state governments that could lead to a Constitutional Convention where they throw out everything and we become some sort of racist business-friendly theocracy where everyone can own grenade launchers.

They’re so great, I think I need to temper my expectations from them. I need to expect that one or more of them will flame out, or succumb to the temptations of fame, or even decide they don’t want to be the leaders of a national movement anymore. Because they’re just kids that have been thrust into a very bright spotlight. And if that happens, I hope people won’t dismiss the movement because of it.

LIke this (unattributed, unverified) story found on twitter recounts, these kids are doing the best they can, which is tremendous:

Rick Santorums quite in context is even worse. He said they should take CPR classes instead of looking for someone else to solve their problems and that instead of looking for something they can do to help themselves they are hoping that some phony law is going to protect them.

This probably doesn’t need to be explicitly said, but goddamn is that some terrifying fatalistic death-cult thinking. “Look, everybody’s going to get shot eventually, you should just learn to do your best not to die when it happens”.

Santorum is a jackass.

Tabletop Linen up to her old hijinks again.

It amazes me that people like her exist.

What a snowflake.

To make matters worse, not only did Trump not attend the rally, his motorcade driving him to play golf at his country club reportedly took a different route so that Trump would not see the local “March for Our Lives” protesters. The White House did not respond to media requests regarding the unexpected route change.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/25/opinions/trump-golf-march-for-our-lives-opinion-obeidallah/index.html

He doesn’t care about children! All he cares is that the girls know he’s waiting for them.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

“That’s what I love about these high school girls, man. I keep getting older, they stay the same age.”

The bullshit NRA/Conservative narrative that ANY form of gun control will lead to everyone’s guns being forcibly taken away from them is creeping closer and closer to reality thanks to their own reactions to any attempt to legislate and to events like March for Our Lives.

We’ve had this discussion in the gun control threads, but there are so many things we can do as a nation to curb gun violence that don’t actually take away the right of responsible Americans to own guns. Closing the gun show & private sale loopholes, more stringent background checks and longer waiting periods, a national registration database, tighter regulation on sales of guns to people suffering from mental illness or who have previously been convicted of certain crimes…these are just a few “common sense” regulations that wouldn’t negatively impact the vast majority of gun owners, and would likely be supported by many of those same people. But the NRA and others are making this into an all-or-nothing fight…a fight I don’t think they understand they are going to lose. Maybe not today, but as soon as all these marching kids can vote…

That may be the strategy, but I don’t think there’s any possibility of all guns being confiscated. Hunting and home defense are core values for a lot of people, even liberals (like me!). There’s an outside chance that semi-automatics might eventually come under additional restrictions, but I can’t imagine anyone’s going to talk about messing with bolt-action or shotguns.

How about reclassifying semi-auto rifles (and maybe eventually semi-auto pistols) as Title II/NFA weapons? They aren’t banned, they are just a lot more expensive and more difficult to obtain. Decent law-abiding patriots can still spend their money on an arsenal if that’s what they want.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_II_weapons?wprov=sfla1

*waves vigorously*