Mass shooting at a synagogue in Pittsburgh today.

So opposition to literal fucking Nazis is the same as… opposition to like… brown people and gays?

Yikes.

Well, yeah, because you called them evil. If you just turn a blind eye to it, you won’t be responsible for 50% of the rending of the country!

This is a great example in my mind. It turns republicans into a monolithic entity with a single purpose. That is factually and rationally absurd. You look at Jeff Flake and or others I could trout out and it doesn’t hold up.

Also there are elements within the group, that have agendas that allow those conditions, but that is not their declared intent.

The right has their own list of overblown narratives about the left, and its equally absurd, and to my point both ways of thinking are ultimately proven bad methodologies of logic.

We’ve gotten used to spouting our own sides views, just as they have (that are as absurd and inaccurate).

The truth is in the community, when a fire, tornado, or hurricane hits many in the community on both sides come together and work collaboratively toward saving and restoring it. There are those on both sides that will stay home and whine about this and that injustice, while others do the work of supporting the community.

Its the later elements on both those that I think most people really have a issue with. One of them happens to be president right now sadly.

I can layout why otherwise fine people are still supporting him, for their own reasons,

FYI I think the most recent episode of Supergirl showed a great example of how a otherwise good man can taken in by a evil narrative, purely based on circumstances and events beyond anyone’s control.

Well the Nazis are evil… this is not a both sides of the same coin. They’re freaking Nazis. They’re evil. Wanting to eat organic food and to raise taxes does not equate someone to kill anyone who is not white. This is such a frustrating thing to keep seeing over and over again. These are not even remotely on the same level.

Jeff Flake is quitting because he’s not going to win his primary due to not be a Trump parrot. Looks like that monolithic entity is getting a little closer to Jupiter.

Good example!

As a declared purpose…yes I don’t know anyone that would disagree with you, but we could even name exceptions in that group, that worked against their declared intent for the greater good, for the allies, to save people.

No group, even that evilly defined group is monolithic or absolute.

“Sure they support racism, homophobia, probably genocide, but they’re good guys.”

No. No they aren’t.

So the Nazis were an evil organization. There really is no doubt about that. You might be able to try and chery pick a few people that were part of the party but didn’t believe in it, maybe because they didn’t want to die or go against them and be targets themselves, but this exceptions thing is not a thing. If someone is a Nazi today, a Neo Nazis, Pride brother, whatever the hell they want to call themselves, they’re part of evil, and they are willfully participating in violence and hate.

So no, Nazis are evil. Period. We’re still trying to catch some of those cowardly bastards today, decades later, to bring them to justice.

Hey, Dave, you’re in a thread about the mass-murder of Jews on Saturday by a modern-day Nazi piece of shit. Do you really think this is the time and place to spew your “[good people on] both sides” bullshit?

Get the fuck out of here with that shit.

Remind me how many people were killed in their places of worship by liberals in America this week?

Your bothsiderism is what’s destroying America.

Roughly as many influential Republicans were sent pipe bombs by nutjob liberals, if I had to guess.

I think Dave is looking for us to disavow the protestors who interrupted McConnell’s dinner.

Because, you know, we’re all tearing down the republic.

Also, bravo for going to the ole “not all nazis were bad” place in the thread about Jews being murdered by a nazi. That takes guts.

I’m going to summarize this poorly because I’m at work and multitasking and cant do the research I like to make my point but let me ask this. Why did people get drawn to him in the first place, what got him elected, and what drew them to his message?

Some analyst have done some research on this as I was really curious how we got here as I had no idea how this could have happened. Understanding it a bit more, its kind of scary, but also provides perspective.

In essence, middle America felt disenfranchised from existing political parties. they turned to Trump because his rhetoric reflected their anecdotal experience, their concerns, their priorities. No politicians up to that point were talking to their situation, their perception of the challenges, or to them directly. Trump rolled in and talked directly to their frustrations and fears and promised to make it a priority.

They were also very tired of the left, focusing on all the minorities causes, while they languished, giving these various minority groups a leg up while their communities disintegrated around them and was (from their perception) ignore and margianlized. They were frustrated and mad, and wanted to say hey we need to be the priority for awhile

That is despite all the ugly things he does/says, they still support him. Because he seems to be the only one talking about the issues they care about. I can give anecdotal stories that my uncle gave on how illegal immigrants were undercutting his contracting business by competition hiring illegal workers to do the work for a fraction of what he could do as a contractor because those competitors were not paying a living wage. These stories are legion, and some of them are even true.

Additionally, Trump is playing it masterfully in desensitizing them to even hearing any criticisms made against him. by playing the media against itself to make it look like his predicting their bias behavior. he’s doing a excellent con, that is allowing him to do whatever, and make it appear as if its all a fix by liberal interests to undermine him. Furthering the rift of well maybe i’m not great but the otherside is in a war against you and your way of life! Tribalism

If you watch the recent episode of Real Time with Bill Maher that had anthony scaramucci on it, Bill doesn’t listen Anthony very well and its sad he didn’t really hear the salient point h’s trying to make, and talks over him not wanting to hear it because of his own tribalism influence. In fact the guest later Jonathan Haidt talks exactly about that, and its like Bill doesn’t even hear or acknowledge that point.

Another conservative telling us that to beat them we have to become them. Get the fuck out of here, man.

Ps - I guess we’re back to not being able to call nazis nazis because it makes them feel bad and become nazis. Do I have that right?

I mean… I get all that, but at the end of the day all it means is they’re morons and racists.

“It’s fine if other people suffer as long as they don’t look like me.”
“I will ignore all facts and reality and believe the guy that doesn’t even lie well.”

Fuck those people.

I get how someone could VOTE for him. But to keep supporting him? Nope. No forgiveness left for that.
They’re turning my country to fascism. Fuck all those people. Half of them would be fine with killing me anyway.

Oh… my… god…

I mean yeah, what about us white dudes? Economic anxiety!

There is a fair point to this. Though, its the same argument people use to have about gun control, and the left doesn’t except that argument, and think the right time to discuss it as its happening and not months later…

I’ll concede its a sensitive subject, and the timing is less than ideal, but I’ll counter that the way things are going there will likely never be a ideal time, and its a conversation that needs to be had.

Also AND THIS IS IMPORTANT…I’m NOT saying racist are good people, I’m saying people are people and belonging to a organization doesn’t make you evil, ESPECIALLY if that is NOT the groups declared intent! I point to the exceptions in the Nazi party as proof to my point that people are NOT monolithic or absolutes! Not to excuse evil.

This is a terrible way to make your point and there is never a good time to suggest that there were good nazis, so we should be careful about labeling people. That’s what fascists say.

Look at Oskar Schindler! He working from the inside!

#NotAllNazis, right?