Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

Ha, I never even thought of that!

Framerates will grind to a halt at airports from all of the grounded airplanes though.

According to their dev blog updates they have passed out SDKs to a bunch of third party developers.

Hopefully that means we won’t have to wait long for our favorite P3D and XP11 to make the transition.

Closed beta starting in July. Is this supposed to be out this year?

That looks way too complicated. Hopefully casual users like me don’t need to know or access any of that.

You can buzz cities in the 747 using an Xbox controller if you like. No need for a detailed flight plan or extensive checklists - just kick the tires and light the fires. The devs have made it easily accessible for the casual market without sacrificing button pushing details the simheads like.

Looks pretty standard for modern sims. X-Plane does all of that, though maybe a bit less elegantly. You don’t have to get too far into sim-land to want some of that. VFR flight without radio calls is like driving without traffic laws; a bare-bones experience that does not really resemble the real thing. So it’s nice to see they’ve implemented a full ATC panel because the quality of the ATC segment has a huge effect on the quality of the simulation experience. (Which is why things like VatSim–a 24 hour free ATC network for flight simulations run by enthusiasts and PilotEdge–a 24 hour ATC network run by pros that you pay a subscription for–exist.) The stuff shown in that video isn’t as complicated as it looks; it’s mostly ATC interactions, setting up autopilots, and guidance (VOR/ADF/GPS/etc) control.

This series of videos are maybe the best flight sim tutorials I’ve seen. He’s flying a bog standard Cessna 172, but gets pretty deep into filing flight plans, using charts for navigation, and a bunch of other features of flying and flight sims that even casual users might be interested in checking out.

Holy shit

Gorgeous.

Damn, maybe I should just get a new Xbox instead of a new PC to play this.

You know the funniest thing about simming? The best shots are always in the worst weather when you shouldn’t be flying :).

Better to do in Flight Sim than in real life!

That’s…actually pretty damn close to takeoff I had in Texas about a month ago.

New batch of screenshots from sim. Some are pretty darn close to making you think if their real photos or not.

Whoa… look at this (airport comparison):

Though it appears they’re using lower settings on MS Flight Sim X. Mine doesn’t look that bad.

3rd party scenery makers are certainly have their work cut out for them. I can see them filling in scenery gaps where Bing’s photogrammetry data is lacking or woefully outdated for some areas of the planet. It’s pretty amazing what FS2020 offers right out of the box. You can get that level of detail for Xplane and P3D if you’re willing to fork over big bucks for 3rd party scenery, but even with up grades both sims can’t match the cloud and lighting tech in FS2020.

An airbus flight stick replica joystick. I wonder if it’s better than my Precision Pro 2?

Only $70 seems reasonable. Plus it’s designed for HOKAS.

Watching the linked video, I sure hope they have copious amounts of relevant chatter in the game.

August 20th :)

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-07-13-microsoft-flight-simulator-launches-august-2020-on-pc