Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

Very nice! Are you using the active pause for those? I find it most difficult to take screenshots on approach and landing, as the ‘pause’ doesn’t stop whatever the engine’s doing (slowing down etc.).

I had an interesting* weekend. I bought a second Piaggio in FSEconomy, based in Mallorca, and decided to fly it to (probably) Wales. I had some good times in the early days flying a C172 around Wales and this has the same passenger capacity etc.

So I managed two legs so far, both using VOR; took loads of screenshots but they are all of the instruments so I will spare you guys. The most exciting one was probably of the VOR at Barcelona airport, passing over perfectly on line :). I went a bit wrong by selecting the wrong radial going north from there (I was basically squinting at the map and estimating) but I realised this as I flew and was lucky that there was a big landmark river near the end so I could re-orient.

Using LittleNavMap now to get the correct radial in all cases. I also have to check out the other navigational aid in the cockpit, which uses NDBs.

Using FSE for this is quite good, because you have to use the airports you’re given. It definitely adds to the fun of working out a route.

Exciting stuff*.

*well, you know

Hey Ike, no worries. It would be better if we financed it through him since we do not have a full payout right no. If he wants to transfer it to the group it is:
Quarter To Three

If he needs to transfer the lease to an individual I’d be glad to take over payments:
QT3_Skipper

We don’t have enough for a full payoff right now but certainly could get it paid for within the month if you don’t mind hanging around to make the payments, however. I’m sending some to your account now, Ike.

I sent you roughly 150K to apply to it now.

Thanks! I’m using FSPlayground to record the flight as I fly it. Then I can play it back and pause at any point to manipulate the drone camera to my heart’s content. (Though I’m pretty sure it’s implemented with active pause under the covers, plus a simvar recorder/replayer to control the plane.)

They talked quite a bit about implementing replays in the latest Twitch Q&A.

Beautiful. This game sells itself in screenshots. Stunning work on water masking in many of those shots.

Finally made it to Wales using VORs and FSEconomy routes only. 1200 nm, quite exhausting. It’s great when you hit your mark though, peering all around for your landing strip and then you see it right underneath the plane.

Paris looks good.

I’m using a mod called We Love VFR (only Europe and a bit of Africa done so far) and mostly it shows radio masts in the game but I guess construction cranes are in there too.

Love the instrument reflections

Home! Well, home for a while anyway.

So many cities and places I haven’t flown to yet. That looks like it was a nice run. How was the VOR run? That’s quite a trip using VORs and visual.

Yeah, I’m all delighted with myself now, but on both Sunday and yesterday I had to break out the headache pills. :D

The VOR stuff was fine, once I grasped it. I practiced a bit before the trip.

The main issue was the Piaggio itself. It has this weird compass rose in the middle of the dashboard and setting a heading seems super tough. I dunno… I’d be sitting there at the start of the flight thinking, I got this, and then halfway through the flight I’d be totally bamboozled.

The piaggio itself was great for level flight, but I found it hard to keep straight, so when changing VOR channels I’d be all over the place, which made things a bit tougher than they should be.

But all good!

One of my absolute favorite things in flight sim for sure. Probably second only to dropping a 30kt 3-point landing with minimal rollout into a field somewhere.

Congrats on your trip, btw. That sounds like a fun one. The compass on the Piaggio is a tricky one to get the hang of, for sure.

Thanks! :D :D

One for the VR crew. Fairly cheap, I believe

Wow, almost no cockpit. Just scenery all around you. Neat.

Very cool! Now this would be fun to fly. Reminds me of the ultralight in Flight Simulator X I believe it was.

Is that a real life aircraft?

Seems to be based on something real, to my surprise. I guess with these ultralights people are making or modding their own all the time?

This airplane is rebuild of 103solo prototype created in real world by company Just Aircraft, creator of famous Superstol.

Original prototype is build to comply with US 103 rules, therefore it can be flown without licence. Fot this reason it uses small paraglide Simeoni engine with 37hp. This power is fine in real world, but it was not so fine in Flight Simulator. Therefore I decided to install Rotax 582 engine with 65hp which really fly in one of prototypes. Aircraft with this engine is 29Kg heavier and therefore do not comply with US 103, but it is also much more fun. I added flaps for the same reason (fun).

All build airplanes in real world are prototypes and each piece differs, therefore also my model can be little different to those that can be found on web. I have experience with aerodynamics and real flying, so I tried to match flight model to as much realism as possible. My friends real pilots participated in flight model tuning and therefore I can say it should be very close to reality.

I’ve looked at that one, but in pictures the gauges and other interior detail (such as it is) has looked pretty rough. I’d suggest if you’re looking for a VR platform maybe check out the Aerolite from Nemeth Designs.

Yep, I have the VGP Powersolo. Really fun STOL plane, and great if you want to, say, land in your neighborhood and there are a lot of trees. :) Flight model is really good – I was flying it last night trying to land on my street, and I stalled and died.

Only downside is that your body isn’t shown in first-person mode (it is in external vie), which feels a bit weird when you look down. Your lack of legs is more disturbing with no cockpit, for some reason.

Another new one that’s a lot of fun is the Fiat G.91, now out from SSW. Flies great, good systems simulation. Falls between the MB-339 and the F-15 in performance.

Traded in my Fiat 124, so I needed something Italian to drive. :)

F-15 update is out now and it’s dramatically better. The VR slowdown has been eliminated in the F-15C and D. But better is the ability to do supersonic flight… I got it up to Mach 2.2 last night, and then zoom-climbed Yeager-style up to 92,000 feet. Interestingly, given that this isn’t a domain where I expect Asobo has done much work on accuracy at this point, up at that altitude my controls were nearly completely ineffective due to the thin air, which is realistic.

It’s a bit pricey but I owned the P3D version, so I got a hefty discount. Since it simulates the F-15D and I can ride in the back seat, though, I’d have easily bought it at full price. :)

MSFS has no problem keeping up with Mach 2+ flight – didn’t see any jerkiness, etc.

Sounds cool? Do they sim visual atmosphere changes at that altitude?