Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

Reddit has had a few posts about the DC-6. It’s not just the #1, some have had #4 problems as well. Someone suggested a few things to prevent the issue from what they’ve seen but I apologize I do not remember the details. That being said, the solution was to treat the offending engine a bit different from the others, which fixed the issue. I’m not sure if that’s a bug or a feature based on the complexity of their models. It may be a little of both.

The slip and sink feeling you talk about is mostly tactile. Your inner ear, your butt and your brain work to make that happen. As good as simming is these days with VR and such, there is no way yet to put virtual input to an inner ear, and to the butt is… shaky at best.

VR does make a huge difference to flight simulation. Your sense of “being there”, your awareness of what is where, going what way and at what speed is tremendously improved through goggles. Even if they are myopic as fuck as the og rift is.

I personally mostly get my kicks from flying fighters doing the swirly tango or raging through a valley to deliver 2000 pounds of democracy. For that, VR is just the bees’ knees.

If your kick is to fly the needles precisely in order to get your twenty tonnes of rubber dogshit into Kai Tak through the soup, you may want to hold off until you get a G2.

The 2080 should have plenty oomph to make a rift fly.

Interesting. I had a quick look for those but couldn’t find them. (The ones about the engines, anyway). It was indeed the #4 for me one time. If you manage to remember/find more on that, can you send it my way?

Thanks!

No worries:

Hopefully something in there might help.

Interesting! One of the user mentions warm-up, but I had it happen at one point even after I made a point to perform a full engine run-up to make sure everything was nice and happy. Keeping the pumps on high is an interesting tidbit.

I’ll try my flight with autofeather off next and see what happens, then maybe play with some of those.

Thanks for the link!

No worries. I’m subbed to /r/flightsim and /r/microsoftflightsim on reddit. A lot of issues or notes get posted there but amount 3/4 of them both are screenshots. Nothing wrong with that but it’s nothing like avsim or similar with much more detailed discussions, etc.

I need my chunks of information in short bursts. Reddit works for that … sometimes.

The PMDG DC-6 is got me back into flightsimming again. I can’t say no to an old school radial engine bird like the DC-6 with a cockpit of steam gauges and a thousand switches to keep Grogu occupied for hours on end.

The PMDG tutorials are filled with nuggets of info about radial engines that I knew nothing about like not cutting the throtlles to idle on descent like you would in a jet. As described here you could end up with metal spalling which leads to all sorts of maintenance issues - I like how he keeps a bag of metal as a reminder when he flies his personal DC-3.

If you’re interested in historical routes check out this thread over at PMDG forums.

You can find a bunch of timetables by former airlines at this site.. The list of airlines that operated at one time or another in the USA is just staggering.

I’d like to try my hand at flying The Hump through the treacherous Himalayas. . Although the DC-6 never flew this route the DC-4 did. Some of the articles about this route are quite harrowing with 24/7 operations in foul weather. It was all done by landmarks, dead reckoning or primitive radio beacons. A pilot today has immense flight planning capability that can be done with an Ipad and a ForeFlight subscription while those poor bastards in the China Burma India theater flew by the seat of their pants. I’m trying to find satellite imagery of this area from WW2 but no luck so far.

Someone made the PDF checklists into the in-the-sim format:

teehee

I sense this phrase must mean something different to flight simmers :)

Way back in the FS9 days, someone did an amazing Hump scenery package which included airfields, historically placed navigation beacons, and flight maps and plans. I could never get the actual scenery to work even in P3D, but I think the flight planning info might be useful to you in this endeavor. You can get it at DC3 Airways:

https://www.dc3airways.net/flights/charters/the_ultimate_hump.htm

And, yes, Time Table Images is an amazing site. I’ve used it for years when doing vintage flying. To the point, actually, where I once made a local archive of it on my machine in case it ever went down. There’s way too much good stuff there to lose to the vagueries of the internet.

Every flight I’ve made in my DC6 so far has been pulled from a real route found there.

Looks like Sim Update 5 is bringing some serious optimisation (presumably at least some of this is a side benefit of the Xbox port). Demo starts about 8 minutes in.

That guy flies over my old building :)

The fps thing is important too of course.

Huh that might make the thing actually playable on my decrepit GPU!

It will help, but it sounds like the big gains are for people who are CPU constrained. They’ve done some process threading, for instance.

That said, they were demonstrating it on a 2060 Super, which is not exactly a powerhouse these days.

Even with a fantastic video card I’ve been hindered at times with the wonky CPU spikes, etc. This should -hopefully- help me being able to run other things in the background while the sim is running.

I recently got a 3070. First thing I did was fire up MSFS 2020. Even on medium low settings I was barely getting 30-40 fps. It’s really bad :( Glad to see them addressing it! :)

The reduction in memory they’re talking about is kinda insane.

During a recent Twitch stream, spotted by Twinfinite , Asobo demonstrated just how significant the performance improvements will be on older systems with an Intel Core i7-9700K and an RTX 2060 Super. Microsoft Flight Simulator jumped from around 30fps to nearly a solid 60fps just thanks to the patch. CPU utilization also drops from 100 percent to 75 percent on this particular PC, and memory drops from around 16GB to 4.7GB.

I don’t think until now most folks have fully comprehended just how hard they’ve been working on optimizing for the XBox, and how much benefit it would have on PC. :) It’s still not flawless, but it’s a lot improved.