Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

Funny you should mention that, I -just- picked that up over the weekend. I’ve also branched out and flown quite a few routes with OPA (other people’s aircraft) where I could find King Air 350s for rent. It’s been fun since the goal was to get me out of my rut and enjoy flying in random places. I haven’t flown the C90 yet, this should help spur me to do so. Nice work on both that and the Caravan, you’ve been making some cash it seems?

The cockpit of the C90 (if it’s the VirtualCol Beech 99) is atrocious, but it’s a really versatile plane in FSE.

The FSE version has the correct range too - the MSFS version only manages about 600nm in comfort - so you should open the engines.cfg file and change the fuel_flow_scalar parameter to 0.55 :)

Been making loads of cash but I dunno if it’s worth it as I have huge debt also ;)

I’ve basically been renting 2- and 3- lot FBOs and leasing planes to fly between them. Very lucrative, but as soon as I have 200K in my account I either buy another plane or a new FBO :(

Trying to downsize all that now.

Edit: I should note the Caravan is not a lease-to-buy, just a straight rental.

This popped up in my YouTube feed this morning. It looks like the perfect companion for when you’re out of town with your laptop or if you want to teach a cat how to fly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeM6DcEVX8s

They even have a tuning knob because holy hell can it be frustrating twisting knobs with a mouse wheel. One false move and you’re zooming in or out. That’s been the bane of flight simmers since the first interactive 3D cockpits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw3XfAj2Cpg

Done. Did you have to add a livery to match FSE’s C90 name or is that already FSE approved for use as the C90?

And can I livery a 350 into it?

That’s awesome. Imagine having to demonstrate it to airport security :)

Already approved (at least the ones I tried - American Eagle livery is quite cool).

I dunno, I’m afraid.

This thing’s really cute. It’s almost tempting, for use with the laptop when traveling, but I can just give myself the extra challenge of using an Xbox One controller.

BTW, I finally tried flying with the Xbox One Controller when setting up my laptop. Holy crap, you guys who learned on that were automatically playing on Extreme difficulty. Not easy.

Any idea when that is? I didn’t know the WT G1000 didn’t have OBS functionality, and I was pretty thrilled to see it in the Asobo version. It’s something I use IRL all the time - great for pattern work.

That thing looks like it will snap after about an hour.

I flew on VATSIM drunk as a skunk the other night, and amazingly, got away with it. At least, I didn’t wake up to any angry notifications anyway.

Took off from Heathrow in the A32NX to do a short hop to Edinburgh. Apparently even that was too much for my alcohol-sodden brain and, seeing Manchester was still controlled that late (between 1 and 2am), hastily changed my IFR plan and diverted there.

Either the ground controller didn’t recognise I was drunk, or didn’t care. After landing he told me where to park, and by the time I’d done that he was offline. I think the poor sod probably wanted to log off but saw I was incoming, and kindly stayed online for me.

Anyway, the moral of the story is: if you think you’re too drunk to fly on VATSIM, do it anyway.

Pre-install on Xbox Series has begun.

My journey across Russia continued this weekend, even though there was nothing screenshot-worthy to report. I do still run into oddities that make me wonder why things were built the way they were, of course. Like for miles and miles and miles, there was a section where the railroad lines just went in a straight line. The road would curve around with the river nearby, or curve around some hills, but the railroad was absolutely 100% straight.

And then I ran into a few hills where the railroad completely curved around every hill. It wasn’t even all that steep compared to the sections where they had kept it straight, but here was super super curvy all of a sudden.

Oh good. I received a message from Comcast that I hit 75% of my data limit. But after seeing your message I checked and it looks like I now have MSFS at 97 GB on the Xbox and The Ascent (another Game Pass game releasing a day or two after MSFS) now on the SSD at 17 GB.

That’s a relief, before I saw your message I was trying to do a quick calculation to see if I was likely to go over 100% when MSFS installed.

FYI there’s an optional chunk of Flight Sim that’s only necessary if you want to play the game offline. If you’re always going to be connected, you can delete it to free up 50+ GB disk space on console.

I look at a photo like this and I realize, hey wait, maybe I’m missing out by always flying at low altitude in this game.

Flight Sim on XSS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYpOykkUC7I

It’s nuts that the series S is able to run flight simulator so well.

Time for another preview video, as we put some of the last touches on things before the public beta.

This one demonstrates the accuracy of our VNAV implementation. Here it smoothly captures VPTH at TOD, nails the 100 degree turn, and hits BOD exactly on time at the bisector, all right on the magenta line. Our vertical guidance accounts for precise turn distance, the vertical deviation indicator holding steady throughout, just like the real unit. 😊

So, once this is properly in-sim, assuming a sensible flight plan, is there ever going to be a reason to use NAV rather than VNV?