Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

If I understand your question right, the two are complementary. VNAV only controls the vertical component, you still need lateral guidance as well.

Ah, so itā€™s not like APR, which is basically NAV+ glide path? Itā€™s not NAV+ VS?

What Iā€™m asking is, given functioning underlying logic and a correctly designed flightplan, does the VNV button supersede the NAV button entirely, or are there circumstances where you would want to use NAV instead of VNV? Or, as your response suggests, do you have to press NAV (or HDG, or nothing) and then VNV - itā€™s completely separate from the other autopilot functions and only affecting VS?

Thatā€™s pretty much correct, yeah. Hereā€™s what the NXi pilotā€™s guide says about VNV activation.

That said, I was playing in the NXi trainer a bit, and I was able to turn HDG on once VNV was activated. Then it started acting funny (the trainer is a POS) and crashed shortly thereafter. Whee.

In general, though, yeah. Itā€™s not a replacement for a lateral navigation mode, or a combination of lateral and vertical like APR.

Whatā€™s interesting to me, though, is that if you look at the matrix of AFCS modes, pushing the VNV button, though it can only be done with a VNAV flight plan active, without anything else active, turns on ROL mode. I donā€™t know, though, if it would follow the vertical guidance there, though. Need to play more in the trainer to get that one right. :)

Xbox version looks really good!

Due to the warm weather, Iā€™ve been playing on the ā€œLow-endā€ preset this week, and itā€™s still been really great. The only real issue is that a lot of times the destination airport only pops in at the last moment. But very useable!

Probably it was using the hillsides to gradually gain elevation.

Mixing it up is probably beneficial ;) I donā€™t fly that high much, but Iā€™ve really enjoyed flying at 25,000 ft over areas where Iā€™ve completed a bush trip, and seeing all the features from that height.

Dā€™oh. Forgot that Neofly has ā€œpermadeathā€ for planes and lost my TBM 930 when I popped out of the room to do some cooking. My planes are now insuredā€¦ On the plus side, this has given me the opportunity to rebase in Asia and check out the campaign.

When I pass like farms in the middle of nowhere in podunk Russia, I keep thinking, I wonder if theyā€™re connected to the internet. Because if theyā€™re connected to the internet, this would be a great place to live.

Pretty sure theyā€™re online and flying over Manhattanā€¦

Hot off the (video) presses, and probably my last bit of promo before the public beta ships, here is our most comprehensive preview of the NXi yet. Itā€™s all come together pretty well, I think. Iā€™m stoked for people to get their hands on it. :D

Essential rating from Eurogamer on the Xbox version.

The basic structure that console players crave is also largely absent in this port, with not much by way of a traditional game beyond the Flight School or Landing Challenges with their global leaderboards.

Awwww, they should have made Bush Flights more obvious in the menu. In my opinion thatā€™s the main ā€œgameā€ part of the game, but it is a bit buried in the menu.

Lost my TBM again, this time insured thankfully, given I took out a very expensive loan to rebuy it. Did not expect anti air missiles.

Not sure if this is a reference to SimConnect working for Xbox or just talking about mods, but I hope itā€™s the former.

God that would be awesome if so. Simconnect would allow a whole ton of gameplay added on.

I believe that is referring to marketplace addons there. Things can always change, but at the moment out-of-process SimConnect clients are not supported for security reasons.

(Technically, ā€œSimConnectā€ will work, as thatā€™s the name of the API, and itā€™s used by native WASM code as well, but thatā€™s just quibbling, and not what most folks mean by it. :P )

And, first mission completed. Trying it in a TBM was stupid anyway, as it involves landing and taking off from a field. So I replaced it with an X Cub. And doubled down on my loan to go for the Longitude. If Iā€™m going to be alternating between bush flights and longer haul stuff it might as well be in a jet.

Iā€™m really annoyed that the ā€œset your Xbox region to New Zealandā€ trick didnā€™t work to let me play the XSX version this afternoon. Guess with a server-based game itā€™s easier to enforce the region-lock on the rollout. They might also be rolling out WW at midnight ET US ā€“ games vary between rolling releases at midnight in local regions vs worldwide all at once.

Ah well. Should be playable at 9 pm PT tonight!

Is there any particular reason to think it will be midnight at all? The World/Sim updates arenā€™t. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if it just dropped sometime tomorrow afternoon.

Unfortunately @Ginger_Yellow is right, itā€™s not releasing at midnight local time:

Itā€™s typical for games to release at midnight, either rolling regionally or all at once. But MSFS is a very different animal, so Iā€™m not shocked that theyā€™re doing it at the end of the French business day and the beginning of the Seattle one.

And with the time they chose, the server load will ramp up through the day.

Guessing the PC and Xbox use the same content servers (not sure), so an Xbox player flood could affect the PC. But Azureā€™s capacity is insanely good, so Iā€™m not really worried.

MSFS was a super slow download on PC at launch, so I wouldnā€™t be so confident, though they have made some changes since then.