Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

I mean, yeah? If you fed it the data in the right format.

Star Wars tie-in ahoy!

But we already have the Earthā€™s data with all its cities and mountains and lakes and rivers and islands. To make one for a fictional planet would likely take a lot of work, I would think. So Iā€™m not sure if this would be a good method of generating a fictional planet.

No, it would be a terrible method. Itā€™s designed for the needs of flight simulation, on Earth. So a lot of work has gone in to making it work with the data that exists for Earth, and with the limitations of the Blackshark algorithm, that have basically no relevance on other worlds which donā€™t have the same datasets, or landscape features, or buildings.

I few the Twin Otter on a couple of flights yesterday. The sound was jarring and very noticeable. Good to hear they are fixing that. Iā€™m very unpracticed on it and was having to hunt around for what I needed. Itā€™ll take a little bit of time to work through that.

One thing I noticed on my second flight was that I wasnā€™t paying attention when right up at my destination I still had autopilot on. It auto-turned as if on approach and Iā€™m pretty sure I did NOT have approach on. Did something change on auto-pilot within the last couple of patches?

I also was looking at some other planes and based on descriptions, went and picked up pms50.comā€™s GTN750 GPS. Has anyone loaded it and have any observations with it?

Were you using radio navigation or flying a GPS track? If the latter, that might explain it as many flight plans include the track all the way up to the runway (and beyond, for the missed approach procedure).

If you were using radio navigation I canā€™t imagine how that happened, as NAV will disable after reaching the VOR.

Iā€™ve been using that since it was a thing, so to be honest I couldnā€™t tell you what it improves because I donā€™t remember what stock was like! By the way you might want to try ā€œMSFS Community Downloaderā€ from flightsim.to. It keeps track of some popular mods and that includes all the best Garmin mods including that one.

One little tip for the Twin Otter: might not help anyone here but I wish Iā€™d been told. When flying at night thereā€™s only one cockpit light that will illuminate the power, prop and condition levers. On the overhead thereā€™s a light marked ā€œgeneralā€. Switch that to bright or dim and they will be lit up - without it you literally cannot see them. That made for a few frustrating flights before I figured it out!

I was indeed. I selected airport to airport, I just donā€™t remember it automatically turning for a runway before. It could be either that changed since I last flew, which has been a while, or I normally clicked off GPS for manual pattern and approach.

Much appreciated, I would have run into this on my first night flight.

Twin Otter update is out. Looking at the changelog hopefully it will sound a lot better, and it looks like the most annoying issues (outbound CDI, autopilot altitude hold) have been fixed. Iā€™ll find out shortly!

Paradroid you purchased off the Microsoft store, right? I purchased from them directly. Iā€™ll have to log in and check for the update.

No, I never purchase from the marketplace. Microsoft already have my money, I prefer 100% mod costs to go to the devs. :)

Iā€™m performing my first post-update flight now; Iā€™ll report back soon. I can already say sounds are better. And you canā€™t start the engines without the fuel pumps being on any more, heh.

OK, first flight done and on the basis of it alone, so far I am impressed. I couldnā€™t fully evaluate the sound because I wasnā€™t in a quiet environment but I think theyā€™re better.

Other than that, great update. The aircraft didnā€™t blow through my target altitude in VS mode, it followed the ILS all the way down to decision height, and the outbound CDI on the HSI now works properly. Thereā€™s even a GPWS inhibit switch now for those who want it.

For my next flight I will try a full flight plan in the Garmin (eurgh) just to see. But yeah, basically itā€™s quite a big improvement.

Iā€™m having a hell of a time getting Neofly to play nice with the Twin Otter. Iā€™ve added it to the database, first just as ā€œTwin Otterā€, and when it didnā€™t like that using the full name the sim spits out. But the main issue is that whenever I hit ā€œconnect & flyā€, it basically kills the left engine. It will spin up if I turn the starter on, but never ā€œtakesā€, and there isnā€™t enough power to fly.

Sorry for the possibly insulting question, but are you switching the fuel booster pumps on? Thatā€™s now a necessity before starting the engines.

Yes. I donā€™t have any issues unless I engage Neofly, at which point even Ctrl-E doesnā€™t work.

Seems like itā€™s a thing. From the Discord:

Hope they patch it because it will be a real pain to manually fuel up every time.

I did buy the Twotter from Marketplace, because I want to have it on the Xbox as well. I hope it doesnā€™t take their sluggish approval process a month to get the update live. Fingers crossed for Thursday because apparently theyā€™re at least prioritizing updates.

Iā€™ve been using the premium version for awhile now. The author is active on the 3rd party MS forums as well as on Discord. Itā€™s a worthy glass cockpit upgrade for Caranado planes as well as the Just Flight Arrows. Itā€™s in continuous development with new features being implemented as well as bug fixes. It even has he Navigraph charts integration with the premium version.

• World Update 7 will cover Australia with updated satellite imagery, a new digital elevation model, and a bunch of point-of-interest on January 31.
  • Sim Update 8 is focusing on bug fixes only and is delayed a bit, now expected on March 1. The beta possibility will come shortly after World Update 7.
  • World Update 8: Iberia is coming in late March, including both Portugal and Spain.
  • A free Top Gun: Maverick expansion pack is expected to be released in May.
  • Both gliders and helicopters are coming in autumn.
  • Several surprize addon releases are expected during 2022.
  • New propeller simulation, including prop wash, is coming to Cessna and King Air aircraft with Sim Update 8.
  • Several complex 3rd party aircraft are coming within the upcoming months.
  • 3rd party aircraft platform for Xbox Series X|S is coming within 6 months, until then, PMDG DC-6 is not available for console.
  • DLSS support is coming later this year for DirectX 12 mode.
  • Sim Update 9, coming in April, is focusing only on stability issues. Always report performance issues at the official Forums to help the team to investigate.
  • Performace drop issues during long-haul flights will be looked out for Sim Update 9.
  • The next Developer Q&A will be at the end of February, just before Sim Update 8.

It just occurred to me that this game is pretty much infinitely updatable isnā€™t it? I mean, Adobo could theoretically work on it for infinite years, constantly updating it and it wouldnā€™t necessarily be ā€œfinishedā€.

ā€¦and all of them will be GA aircraft. Because we donā€™t have enough of those in the game.