MLB The Show 19 - anyone?

As predicted, I broke down last week and bought this. I should have just pre-ordered to get the free diamond, but whatevs. I’ve won two games in the event so far; not sure if I’ll get to 20 or not.

It’s funny how many of the peripheral button commands stayed with me even after skipping last year’s edition. Before my first at-bat in '19, I pulled the right trigger to check the opposing pitcher’s repertoire without even thinking about it.

The 20 wins was a slog for me. Not sure what my final record was, but I had to build up my team to get through it. Finding all the golds that were rated at 80 helped. Starting pitching isn’t super important unless you play the seasons. For the 3 inning games you just need to get through like 2 batters and then put in a reliever.

I think I’ve played 4 games to win 2, so if I can keep up that rate, I’d need to play 40 games over the next week. It’s doable (especially given that most people quit as soon as they get more than 1 run behind), but I’m not sure a low diamond is worth the grind.

I also noticed that the “random” starting pitcher still tends to repeat a lot. I think Kevin Gausman has started every Event and Conquest game for me so far.

My guess is it took me around 40-50 games to get to 20. Which means I had way too much free time this weekend. ;) And yes I’m seeing the same repeat starters a lot. Price seems to start for me like 75% of the time.

There was a starter tutorial that nicely let you try different batting and pitching styles. I had to go when that was up, is there any way I can get that back again?

Hmm no idea I clicked out of that as fast as I could. :) I can tell you I’m sticking with analog pitching and the pci hitting. I think that’s pretty much standard for people playing online, but I would say just do a practice and try them all.

I suck at hitting so bad. My timing is always so off. Don’t know how people can do timing and placement at same time.

It really helps to just sit on a fastball down the middle for a pitch or two. If you get it, try and hammer it. Otherwise let the pitch go and you could get ahead in the count, where you’ll be more likely to see that grooved fastball. Or you could be down 0-2 but if that’s happening anyways, may as well switch it up!

I have a few dumb questions if you all don’t mind. It’s been a long time since I played.

• In DD what is duplicate squad for?
  • In DD is your personal player DD locked to a position the first time you assign him? If he is, is he best as apitcher like many years ago?
  • In DD under created player there are created player programs. How do those work?
  • If you assign an item in DD is it available in other game modes if you unequivocal it? Or is it “used up”?

What camera view do you all like to use for batting?

Here’s team :)
Home and away uniforms

I haven’t messed around with DD at all, so I can’t answer any of that stuff. I’ve mostly been playing March to October so far, which I think is very well done, and a nice way to play a season out.

I was using whatever they call they batter view with the camera just behind the batter, which I find immersive, but I also find it’s nearly impossible to gauge where the ball will fall in the zone. I’m fine with it being difficult, but I just have no sense whether the ball is in the middle of the plate or in the dirt. So I have started using the more traditional outfield view, which works well for me. It takes the pure guessing out of whether or not to swing. I need to try some of the other views out as well – there are quite a few.

That has always been my problem with video baseball games - judging the height of the pitch.

A few hitting tips that have helped me go from execrable to mediocre:

Patience is key. Like rowe said, wait for a good pitch to hit until you have two strikes. A side benefit of this is that you’ll see more pitches, which will help you improve at recognizing pitch type, placement, etc.

If and when you do get a two-strike count, switch to the “contact” swing (circle button). This increases your contact chance, and also makes it easier to check your swing. It also makes it more likely that you’ll foul off that high cheese, rather than swinging through it.

Finally, keep an eye on the opposing pitchers’ patterns and pitch types. If a guy has a sinker, slider, and change/curve, that means all of their pitches will tend to move downward, which means if a pitch looks low at all coming out of the pitcher’s hand, it will almost definitely be a ball. Conversely, if a guy is just pumping four-seamers up in the zone all the time, you can cheat your PCI up there and be ready for it. There’s always the chance he’ll pick that pitch to drop in a curveball, and you’ll get the flailing animation, but you’ve only got to succeed three times out of ten to be considered a great hitter.

I use the Strike Zone 2 view. I find it allows good judgment of placement and break.

Do the practice mode and try all the cameras. It seems everyone has a different preference. I was messing with it yesterday and found that I really liked the MLB 15 view which kind of shocked me. I was picking up the fastballs WAYYY better than any other view I’ve tried.

Cool I will do that.

Can anyone help me with the questions I had above? I’m especially confused on my own player I make for Diamond Dynasty. Am I supposed to play with him to make him better? Or do you leave him be til you can “upgrade” him? If that’s what those special card slots are?

Boy, really having a lot of fun this year! Too much fun as my wrists (carpal tunnel) are on FIRE! I think I end up grasping the controller too tight.

What’s the fastest way to get new cards and items you think?

The fastest way? $$$$$$$$$$$!

Not sure of the fastest non-$ method though. Any mode that focuses on 3 inning games, while unlocking programs, etc, is probably the best.

Did they completely get rid of the player-based programs they had last year? I haven’t explored the menus too thoroughly but all I see are the Moments and the 1st Inning Program.

There is some kind of programs thing but I don’t understand what programs actually is.

A program basically gives you a set of tasks to complete in order to unlock something of value. Like the Willie Mays Moments let you unlock a Willie Mays card eventually. Last year there were a ton of them, separated into different positions.

Right now I only see:

Moments: Willie Mays, Bryce Harper, The Cubs, Babe Ruth

and the 1st Inning Program, which looks like a smorgasbord of tasks, with the ultimate goal of unlocking something (can’t remember what it is).