Monster Hunter World!!!!!

It seems to me that Rise is more like Generations, but with QoL updates from the lessons learned with MHW. Which sounds awesome and makes me wish I had a Switch of my own.

Yeah, if that’s what it is I think it will be very appealing for me.

This the traditional s tyle of MH games going back to before tri. MH generations was more of a celebration / mashup of previous games, so there is a lot of disparity between monsters and arenas because they literally have some of the very first arenas back in for nostalgia!! haha.

the last main series portable one was mh4u on the 3ds (which is a fantastic game) but yeah that’s the classic style of MH. a lot of MH vets that liked those games didn’t like a lot of the additions (at least at first) and changes in world because it changed the game so much. Rise looks more like a mix of world and GU to me

id give it another go, MHG is really fun and the skill system is deep in a much different way.

I’m afraid the population for this seems to have dropped off significantly. Whereas last year it was rare for an SOS to go unanswered, nowadays the reverse is true, except Assignment hunts usually you can get someone. The monsters in Iceborne have too much damned health to do with two people, too, thanks to the idiotic binary scaling. Sigh.

Iceborne scales less for two players unlike the base game.

I’m not sure what you mean.

When you said binary scaling, I thought you were referring to monsters in Monster being either scaled for singleplayer or multiplayer, which is how the base game worked. That changed with the Iceborne expansion, monster HP scales different for 1 player, 2 players, and 2+ players. So if you’re running with one other person, they get scaled less now than what you might have been accustomed to when the game originally shipped.

I would never have guessed that. That’s handled dynamically, right? What I mean is, if I start a hunt for “four people” but only actually two are ever in it, it scales for two until a third joins, right?

I believe so, yeah. It doesn’t scale up until you get the number of players, not how many slots are open.

Man, my brother and I spent 40 minutes trying to put down an optional Urugaan and still failed.

Damn, they kind of ruined this game for me. :( Fights are so exhausting, they just go on and on, and even with big health bonuses and fully upgraded armor the monsters always seems to have at least one attack to pull out that can cart you from half or even 3/4 health, it’s nuts.

I don’t know if you play multiplayer, but that’s the optimal point to start doing so. ;)

In my experience, while fights tend to be more difficult and take more time than in base MHW, with the proper equipment the difference is not that big for most monsters. I rarely had hunts taking over 20 minutes even by endgame, roughly speaking. Of course, that isn’t necessarily true facing tempered monsters or some elder dragons, but in average it should be around that.

Well I’m nowhere near endgame. I almost never play solo. It’s getting very tough to fill out our group with random players, though. Most times the SOS flare goes unanswered.

The things I do for survivability:

• divine blessing
  • stun resist: you can’t heal if you’re stunned
  • status resist: iceborne monsters love to inflict status
  • elemental resist: I basically ignored element in base MHW and looked for cool armor skills. I made element and status specific defense builds for my weapons in iceborne and aimed to hit the +20 defense in the element (to also get the free blight resist)

I also finally learned the superman dive (although still 50/50 at actually doing it on purpose in time). I carry nullberries, mega pots, max pots and lifepowder in my default build, and also have an ancient pot and astera jerky for my elder dragon builds. I started using traps more often when they had the tougher non-elders so I’ll have one of each of those. I used a lot of poison weapons a lot - they say that poison is percentage rather than a flat damage so scales great with monster health pools.

The endgame power creep is real though - getting health augments makes things quite a bit different. I’m pretty sure I’m garbage at Alatreon because of all the bad habits having endgame gear brought me.

Yeah, also it sucks how annoying the clutch claw is to use for the two weapons I mainly stick to (bow and lance). Might be time to seriously switch to SnS.

you may not find SOS help on relatively low level monsters like Urragan. Plenty of people playing, but most of the playerbase who plays a lot is at the guiding lands / endgame now

cltch claw is fun on lance! at least in early iceborne! doing the guard claw is pretty easy, it can get you screwed against multi hit moves but, its pretty fun imo

Some gameplay for the upcoming Switch title

Someone has already modded in the wirebug to MHW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4rW-mTZnQk&ab_channel=sleipnir_

I’m in love with guard claw for lance, and lance was one of my favorite weapons before iceborne! But yeah, practicing the clutch claw is really valuable - you can get 1-2 “free” knockdowns every time the monster isn’t enraged so practicing grabbing monster heads and aiming at walls is huge (I like to have temporal mantle just to be able to get better chances for this). My ideal opener is two clutch claw “wall bangs” and then the first mount when the monster is enraged, for three openings in the first couple minutes. Lance is great for this since you can get that first mount without needing anything on the map, although the downside is that lance doesn’t really have any big combos once you actually get an opening.

Trickier but also infinitely more hilarious is using the clutch claw to send one monster into another one to knock both of them down. Somehow that is infinitely more hilarious to see two monsters flailing around.

The controls for the Lance clutch claw when shielded are just kind of clunky, and you can’t rely on getting an opening for the clutch counter. I basically ended up giving up on the lance at the point in the endgame where clutch claw went from a nice to have to mandatory.