Monster Hunter World!!!!!

Yeah, just being a smart ass. While I kinda like the online, you are certainly entitled not to.

@Timex you can invite people in game, it’s under the social tab in the crossbar. Once you do that you just invite them to the squad and you are done. You can easily join squad sessions when you log in. Obviously mileage may vary, but I find that whole process pretty simple.

As for all the cutscenes that don’t allow multiplayer I have to agree that it can be a tad inconvienent, but it’s only a one time thing. I guess it just doesn’t bother me much.

As for not saving when you join a new session…wtf.

So my husband and I, along with a couple of friends, played this pretty much non-stop for the past two weeks. Our two friends flew over from the UK so we could all play together in the same room, and we basically made a vacation of it. Our living room had four PS4 Pros in it, each of us with our own TV / monitor. Only one of us had English voices turned on (the rest of us used Monster Hunter language) to avoid competing talking, and only one of us had music turned on. It worked out quite well.

Our levels of MH experience varied. My husband and I have extensively played Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, 3U, 4U, and a tiny bit of XX. One of our friends had only played Tri, but loved it. (He hadn’t played any of the others because he didn’t want to play on the 3DS). Our other friend had tried a Monster Hunter game but hadn’t really cared for it. We were quite nervous he would hate this, but he ended up loving it.

Our newbie friend went Long Sword. My husband went Hammer. I always play Light Bowgun. Our other friend enjoyed playing around with different weapons, but ended up Dual Blades. We completely wrecked face, and had “completed” the game within about 10 days. By completed, I mean end credits, but obviously there is much more. By the time they headed home yesterday, we had all completed the HR49 quest.

It was a blast. My husband and I were nervous about the convenience changes they made to MH, but the game is still plenty challenging. Everyone had a great time, and we’ll all continue to play I’m sure.

After we reached end credits, just for fun, we decided to make new characters that would all use Heavy Bowgun, and we went with a Space Marine theme. We only did this for a few hours, leveling up our bowguns to level 3 and put on the lowest rank ore based armor, since it looked most Space Marine-ish. And then we went and wrecked a Great Jagras. Poor thing never stood a chance…

Like I said though, I’ve owned the PS4 since release and this is legally the first game, ever, that has exhibited this problem.

This is awesome!

This sounds like an awesome set-up.

I’m tempted to buy my sister a PS4 so she can play. She was supposed to buy one over the holidays when they were 200 and not 300… but rumors about RDR 2 being delayed caused her to back out.

She and I haven’t played on console together since Wii, and Tri was our last game we put time into… lost her due to sea battles.

Sea battles were…not good…

I had no idea at the time it was such a controversy. I would have pushed this game more if I knew. I just know our group will like it. It’s a challenging boss fight, frequently, and every weapon is so different. The fact that some monster you don’t really want to face just shows up now and then keeps it a little… intense and for me, because I am chicken, scary.

Level 52. The game have stopped to give me story quest. 138 hours. GOTY.

edit:
wait, no, theres a quest in the investigation ship

Is there a difference between items I loot and items that show up at the end of a quest?

Like, I haven’t been keeping notes on my inventory or anything, but say I kill a Great Jagras and harvest him. I harvest three times and get a hide, a claw, and a tusk (or whatever). Each of those things shows up on the right side of my screen with “Great Jagras Hide x1” and so on.

But then when the quest ends, I have different stuff (or different amounts of the same stuff) in the interface where I decide what I want to bring back to base. I’ll have like two hides, no tusks, and three claws. Is that some kind of mechanic? Or am I just super wrong and can bring back everything I harvest, nothing more and nothing less (in which case this is just a perception problem – but I swear I’ve noticed it more than once).

Everything you harvest / pick up during the quest, you get to keep, regardless of whether you actually finish the quest or not. So if you faint three times, you’ll still head back to town with whatever you picked up. If you “return from quest” in the middle of it, you keep everything you picked up. I’m not so sure about “abandon quest” because I’ve never used that option.

The rewards box at the end though is extra stuff you get because you completed the quest. What you get in the top box is randomized, based on whether you killed the monster or captured it (it’s mostly the same, but in previous titles there were some rarer bits that you could only get from capturing, some you could only get if you killed the monster). The stuff in the “bonus” box is usually stuff you got because you broke a specific part of the monster during the hunt. Breaking the monster’s head or jaw, for example, is more likely to net you fangs or jaws in that box.

The monster guide is your friend. Once you learn enough about a monster, there will be an entry telling you what parts drop from where and how.

Ah! That’s helpful. Here I thought I was losing things. Thank you!

And, now that I’m looking at the monster guide for Great Jagras, I see separate entries for carves and rewards. Neat!

It’s pretty bullshit that the monster bodies disappear if you aren’t able to carve it right away.

Hunting anjanth gets really weird later in the game.

This. Especially if I drop a monster and the quest ends while I’m still trying to kill the pack of jagras hounding me instead of carving.

Or you’re separated from the group when it goes down, and you don’t have time to even get to the body.

Well, it’s a mechanic. That’s why there’s the skill that stops you being knocked over while carving. ;)

It seems more forgiving than previous games. And I do like that they at least tried to explain it with the carrion birds!

During our playthrough, there was some amount of “Don’t kill it until I get back!” shouting going on, hehe. Of course, that mainly only works if you’re playing wth friends… and are in the same room.

But at the risk of being “that person”, I’ll say that I was pleasantly surprised by how long the bodies stay around compared to the previous titles. I mean, imagine having to carve a single jagras because the body will despawn in the time it takes you to kill a second jagras.

Yes. It’s a lot more forgiving for sure. In Tri I would still be attacked while carving and couldn’t even finish with things around.the body. I’ve yet to be really interrupted during the 60 second countdown… I don’t understand why they feel it’s necessary though to end it like that, still.

I’ve never asked anyone to stop a fight for me, and it’s usually not a problem… it just seems an odd mechanic.

Bodies vanish in most games; it’s usually related to maintaining performance. I kinda like how they turned it into a mechanic in the game, either via the skill or taking a risk carving during battle (bad idea). :)

Don’t know if it was like this in Tri, but in 3U after you beat the mission you wouldn’t get attacked any more and could carve in peace. It stayed that way ever since.

These quests aren’t lasting more than 50 minutes, by design. I don’t know what kind of games you usually play, but bodies don’t typically vanish in 60 seconds right before the game ends for some sort of performance enhancement. Everyone is leaving at that point. As for the monsters, what are there… no more than 4-5 of the big ones?

Aka, most games do not do this. In Tri you could be attacked.