Monster Hunter World!!!!!

Yeah, Monster Math is kinda an impenetrable mess. I would say that raw attack and defense are the priority, but generally I try to match up weapon elements with monster weaknesses as best I can. As a GS guy raw matters way more for me for the reasons @jsnell outlined.

Armor is a slightly different matter. While I don’t give up raw defense I definitely eat for the elemental resistances the set I am using is weak in if I need to. For example, fighting a Rath with armor weak to fire is going to be pretty rough unless you offset that weakness somehow.

People who join an SOS only to faint three times…

The agro algorithm of some monsters is funny. They seems to focus on characters that did damaged and have unsheated weapons (but also rotate targets and other stuff). So the above webcomic can be the result of carefully programmed animal behavior.

My favorite thing about this game is how animal like are the monsters.

Or how human they are…

Heh

Trying to stop a lava monster with a wooden barrier.

Still enjoying the game. I am not sure is it even possible to fail that quest?

It is possible. In our playthrough, all four of us went into the quest solo (thanks to the cutscene shenanigans). Our friend who had played before raged about how stupid the quest was in general (it is kinda bad, and other titles had similar major quests), complained about it the whole time and eventually failed it (the rest of us completed it first try). I presume his failure was due to more complaining and less loading the cannons. ;)

It was just a weird quest, and I felt I didn’t do well with it, but I still somehow completed it.

Me neither.

First I struggled to find the tether post to take to the skies after it smashed through that first barrier.

Then on its back after smashing the last lava rock point thing I couldn’t work out where to go when I was supposed to resupply or something. So I bumbled around and mined a couple of those tempting outcrops before the game moved me on to the next bit with a cutscene. :)

It was pretty cool though. Reminded me how nice the visuals are when Nergigante lands and the 1st takes him on, nice lighting.

My experience exactly. It told me to go find another thing and I never did. I was swinging through things that sort of looked like something, i mined some stuff i need for a new weapon and thought well at least there is that. and somehow… I finished alive. That cutscene was kind of fun.

I am soo slow with this game. I am not sure I will even get a chance, again , to do the Horizon quest. I just PC game still and this is my no one else is on for the PC games so I do this,. My sister is all worried I’ll burn out before PC releases. I told her no worries. I am taking my time, and I never find the battles boring.

Heck I was trying to find that kitty in the trees and realizing, almost to my death, that there are two flying critters around in the expedition mode of the Ancient forest.

Yep, the entire quest is poorly implemented. I love the part where you’re supposed to go and drive Nergigante away, but you can actually completely ignore him and eventually he leaves on his own. I presume the grunts on land firing the ballista or something actually get rid of him. But we repeated that quest several times (for mats), and never once have I actually had to face him. We usually just kept mining. ;)

Really? So… it’s basically an interactive cut-scene.

Is no doubt the worst mission in the game. Pure dreck. A literal pile of burning trash.
But you don’t really need to do it twice, and you can even shot a flare and random dudes will do the mission for you.

I have never played one of these before, but I ended up taking the plunge. I’m DantesWitness on PSN if anyone is interested in flailing through a mission or two with a terrible player.

Add me on PSN (merryprankster) and I’ll get you in the Squad. We have a few QT3 folks and a few others. Happy to help new players.

A wife replicated one of the meals in MH, took her about 3 hours and ¥4,000.

That is awesome!

What this game needs is a giant crab monster

(image: giant seafood paella)

(image: bigger papa)

Theres really only one water monster.

There was in previous titles… it just didn’t make it into this one.

Have they had snow environments in past game? I’d be curious as to the monsters they’d have for that.