Monster Hunter World!!!!!

I’d recommend you pick a weapon and stick to it until you master it. That will greatly cut down on the number of controls and movesets you need t remember so you can focus on other things.

Only played for a bit last night, but boy does it feel good to be back. The whole games just feels, looks, and plays better on PC.

In case anyone is curious about what weapons they should be gunning for in early Iceborne, if you have the option the Jagras weapons are all excellent, and you can get them from 1Star quests.

If your weapon doesn’t have a Jagras variant (or, for example with switch axe, if the phial type isn’t what you want) the Puki Puki and Pink Rathian weapons are your best bet. Poison is super good in IB.

If you’re having trouble staying alive (monsters hit extremely hard in MR when you’re wearing HR gear) run health boost 3 and/or craft and upgrade any MR armor you can get your hands on. The armor skills don’t get good until midgame monsters, but at least the increased defense from MR armor will help keep you alive.

Happy Hunting!

I played a little bit last night and I love the new Hunting Horn options. The new move is spectacular, I love the new songs/buffs/echos, and it’s a lot easier to hit with performances now that it’s easier to steer yourself while doing so. Max Stamina Up + Stamina Recovery Up was a lifesaver in the fight with Beotodus. Soooo good.

Hopefully I’ll play a LOT more tonight.

The expansion immediately throws a new monster at you and unless you’d been keeping up with the latest gear it’s probably going to hurt a lot. Gaijin Hunter had a hot pro tip to make this first encounter a lot easier. You can actually return from the expedition without killing Beotodus and go pick up quests from the elder melder to kill a master rank Jagras and Jyrotodus. I hopped into those quests (so you’ll go to the Master Rank version of the original zones) and just gathered master rank metals for about 5-10 minutes, then returned to base and built the alloy set and weapon. That was a huge boost in stats and made the snow shark much more manageable.

Also love the story so far.

“Some birds flew that way?”
“Pack everything! We’re moving!”

Totally, that video is gold. One of the many reasons I love Gaijin Hunter. It’s not all min/max meta videos. His weapon tutorials are still my go to when learning a new weapon.

He has a very friendly, likable style to his videos and they’re super informative

Oh, I spent hours upon hours with the dual blades and the horn in the base game. Just can’t remember all the controls for using items, sharpening, etc. I’m pretty sure I’m going to get this tonight and figure it out though :D

Performance is tanked in this new update for me. I had to switch to DX12 to get over 30fps. Now it runs back over 90 like it used to, but often drops down to 30 which never happened before.

I see there is some known issue they are investigating, hope it gets resolved soon.

Some people reported that putting settings to low, restarting the game, and then putting them back solved the problem. So it’s worth trying that.

Was this a pre-existing install it updated or did you install fresh? What video card do you have?

Sorry for the questions, just want to get a headstart on any troubleshooting I may have to do. :)

Thanks, that worked and I narrowed down why - it disables the High Res Texture Pack, which is what seems to be causing my issues in this update. With textures set to ‘Full’ instead it runs how I remember it.

DX12 still needs to be on, otherwise it runs around constant 30.

I can play now but I hope it gets fixed because I want those high res textures! :)

Pre-existing, and I’m using 2080ti.

By God, you downloaded 80 gigs, you better get to use the high resolution textures! :)

Haha yeah thankfully I have used them quite a bit prior to this update! ;)

I got only the base game in the holiday sale. I want to take my time and enjoy the core content before getting the expansion, but I read they put in a OP set that accelerates you through this content to get to the expansion. Is there a name for this set so I can avoid it, or does it only appear if I buy the expansion?

Weapons are called ‘Defender’ and armour is ‘Guardian’. Both are now in the base game, whether you have expansion or not.

To get the armour at least you have to claim it as an add-on from the Housekeeper. You can equip a Defender weapon during character creation or craft from the Smithy as soon as you get there… cheap and OP.

You’ll also probably get a bunch of free material packs, not sure how to avoid those.

I think the free material packs also had to be claimed. I had no idea about any of this stuff and just clicked on “claim rewards” because I was clicking everything.

Oh cool. I thought all that login bonus celebration stuff they give you was just added straight away, it’s been a while since I checked.

Ok, so don’t claim anything, and avoid defender and guardian. Thank you!

I would say claim it, but just don’t use it. You want to be claiming your stuff each day. You are not forced to use armor.

The “claim rewards” stuff is separate from the login bonus.