Mount & Blade: Bannerlord

That’s an excellent point. I thought leveling felt slow, but didn’t realize why.

Leveling is really slow. I did find out that if you give other lords captured lords from another faction you get a good boost to leveling charm up. Sadly, you don’t seem to get any relation increase. The high level kingdom management and participation as a vassal still needs a lot of work. It’s way too easy to lose relation with lords trying to vote yourself a castle and then the close off all their castles to you. The dynamics are a little whack right now.

For charm, just give small gifts to other lords. When I end up with too many horses I give some away to get a few charm points.

Ransoming prisoners used to give rogue skill. With that gone the only way seems to be raiding villages? I don’t raid villages. I think the rep loss is not worth it.

Speaking of rep, the only useful ones are the ones that let you recruit more troops. This makes some quests such as “Can’t get raw materials” awful quests since they drop the rep for the guys that actually give you troops.

Did they change the rules under which the AI operates? If I’m not mistaken, the AI in Warband has infinite resources and infinite manpower. I learned this the hard way when I tried to attrition an AI power with repeated battles and found it to be impossible; the army leader escapes and comes back full of troops in a short while…

I am terrible at this game. Not only at combat but I suck at being a general too - far and away my best results are hitting F6 at the beginning of combat and letting my guys do their thing. (Since I don’t play RTS or combat games I expected this but I just could not resist a medieval sandbox game. I have the original but never got past the tutorial.) Even so it’s quite enjoyable riding around the battlefield on my steppe horse wildly missing everyone with my bow or lance. I started doing combat tournaments (somehow I won the first one I tried, but have failed miserably ever since.) I’m hoping some practice will let me improve from terrible to just bad.

Found this but haven’t tried it yet:

Any excuse for a new campaign I guess ;)

It’s really hard to fight directional battles for me. Pressing R to first person kinda helped me figure some out. The first person makes it easier to couch lance and keep riding

It also lets me try to practice melee combat. Spear thrusts are easier (aim above head)

For swords I keep swinging side to side, i can’t get the up/down attacks consistently.

Awaiting the inevitable Warhammer mod.

Gonna need Crotch criticals for the dwarves then.

You can already play as a baby. Shouldn’t be hard :D

My biggest battle tip is you don’t need to fight where you start. First thing I usually do is issue a general follow me order and look for some good ground behind me. Hills are good of course. If the enemy has lots of cavalry putting your ground troops in thick woods can help. Streams are useful since they slow the enemy.

If the enemy is defending a position and seems reluctant to move from it that’s a perfect opportunity to position some cavalry on their rear or flank to charge in when the assualt begins.

I think I am going to start over. I have too many mistakes in my build and leveling is so slow now. I actually think I am near the level cap since I need so many points to the next level and some of my less used skills have very low level caps.

I am also going to not do thief stuff this time around. Pissed off merchants wont give you quests.

Table of companions and their skills (so you can collect the best surgeons)

Are they static? I though I had read somewhere they are randomized, maybe that was just in reference to location.

It looks like the nickname part tells you what the skills are!

“of the wastes” / “opf the hills” “the wanderer” = 140 scouting

Wow I have never seen some of those nicknames and I have restarted like 5 times. I wonder if they are all implemented. My current game has some very lackluster companions.

Is there a way to select what kind of troops you get when you go into a raider base? I have some heavy infantry, which are right under my character in the party list, yet every time I go into a raider base I have archers instead of my heavy melee guys.

Also is there a way to run? All my troops can outrun me it seems while I only seem to walk.

Unfortunately I don’t think so. I did an experiment to see if it pulls from the top of the list but it did not seem to.

Caps lock switches between run and walk if you missed that. My character has terrible athletics, so even running I can’t keep up with the troops. I just switch between follow me and charge in those missions as needed.

I’m not sure what the devs’ rationale for only allowing a handful of your troops to participate in bandit camp raids. Those things can have over 20 bad guys dispersed throughout and somehow I’m supposed to role play medieval Seal Team Six to take them out clandestinely. The game isn’t designed for silent takedowns so why not let me take all my dudes for some bandit ass kicking?

Looks like this mod addresses the limitations.

Because you approach them one group at a time? The hideouts aren’t great but it seems like a dumb mod.