MS Surface

Nice indeed

NIce.

I’m looking at the Surface Pro 6 as a laptop/tablet replacement (per discussion 6 months ago). I’d also like to be able to play Dominions 5 on it (and probably Endless Space 2).

Anyone tried either on a Surface Pro?

I’m probably holding out for Black Friday deals, so I have a bit of time. I’ll probably also go into an MS Store and see what they have.

Also, I’ll be installing my own copy of Windows 10 Pro on it (work discount) - anyone know of any issues doing a clean install on a Surface Pro?

MS Surface versus iPad Pro?

I am looking to de-Apple myself. I do a lot on windows on my PC, and have been doing more and more projects with Adobe Creative Cloud products as well as MS Office stuff (obviously). Can a Surface do for me what the iPad can and allow me to work on projects seemlessly in conjunction with my PC?

Also, what about 4G (and soon 5G).

Help and advise the Ignorant (me), Qt3 gurus!

I’m finding the Surface Go under powered. The form factor is nice BUT I cannot fully get into the workflow because:

In Windows 10

1. The control schemes for most apps screams for a mouse. Most UIs have far too small buttons and icons.
  2. The reliance on Right-Clicks is a very disruptive to the usage experience because the touch-and-hold to simulate a right click just plain sucks. I wish they will register 2 fingers or 3 as a right click.

The screen size of the Surface Go makes it very portable BUT a lot of the desktop app really require larger screens.

Right now, my Surface Go is used mainly as a reader and research library. I tried mobile gaming on it, but the lack of a right click really detract from the gaming experience. With an underpowered CPU, it is a subpar experience.

I’m thinking of a Surface Pro but the right click problem will still remain.

I picked up the costco surface pro bundle over black friday - $799 for the core i5/128GB SSD with type cover and pen (added 256GB microsdxc). It’s pretty nice so far, but there are definitely some quirks to it as a tablet which I’m still adjusting to (coming from Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition).

Costco has the Surface Pro 6 i5/8GB/128GB with (non-alcantara) type cover and pen for $799, and I have to say I’m really tempted. This is the base model, but it’s a helluva step up from the previous version base models. The i5 is quad-core and fanless.

Plus, Cotsco gives you a two-year warranty!

Really mulling it over. Been stuck inside for days due to th is snow, so it’s driving me crazy. Especially as the nearest Costco is like a 3-minute drive away.

@pyperkub, how do you like your SP6?

I’m mostly using it for OneNote as a LectureNotes replacement, and surfing. Some light business apps.

Battery life is great, pen is really good (though just about every case on amazon which is compatible, isn’t with the pen - the pen is apparently larger than the surface pro 4, which most of them were designed for, and while the typecover is fine for basic screen protection, I’m just glad I haven’t dropped it).

I’ve played some MTG: Arena on it, but not much else gaming-wise.

All in all, it’s been just what I wanted. there are a few niggles here and there with Windows and pen/tablet computing, but overall, it’s been great at everything I’ve asked of it. The other thing about the Costco one is that windows won’t let you install apps to the sd card as removeable storage, but if you have an external HD you can attach, you can apparently install to that, and copy the files to the sd card, remove the external and change the drive assignment. Haven’t tried that yet however.

Costco has this deal again in the 128gig and the 256Gig one as well for 1099 with he keyboard and the pen. After some stupid holdups with Costco shipping the 256Gig one arrived today. Setup was pretty quick and the display is amazing. I tinkered with one of the free sketch apps and was kind of incredible. It’s gonna be my wife’s mostly but I have already snuck GOG app onto it and should be able to steal it on occasion for some older gaming.

Hmmm… at $799 that’s a great deal, but the $1099 version means you’re basically paying $300 for 128GB more storage. Everything else is the same, including CPU and RAM.

I was sorely tempted by that, but I ended up picking up the 11-inch 256GB iPad Pro. I figured I already have a Surface Book, and what I really want is a tablet.

MS had the workings of an okay tablet OS with Windows 8, but I guess the stigma of Windows 8 made them strip that all out.

It’s too bad, because the iPad Pro type cover SUCKS. I hate the way it lies completely flat, and the typing experience is lukewarm compared to Surface.

Ya, I hemmed and hawed about that for a bit. Finally decided that the extra cost was worth having the larger HD even though you can add cards and an external HD for storage too (they are just slower than pulling from the SSD from what I’ve read). Just didn’t want to deal with that if I could help it.

Had I known the problems getting the damned thing shipped though, I would have probably just got the 128Gig one that was in store. It was delayed for a few days (got it today, should have been here Tuesday or Wednesday) and no one from their support could tell me why they couldn’t get an update from the shipping depot. I was within minutes of cancelling the order last night and either getting the one in store or going with an Asus or Samsung off of Amazon. Then, when I checked the order one last time before cancelling, it showed shipped and arriving today.

It’s still a good deal off the regular price, but, yeah, the storage pricing is where they get you. $100 more would be reasonable but never happens. I could understand $200 more. But $300 is outrageous considering everything else is the same. You’d think Costco could get MS to buckle a bit more on that.

True, the markup is insane but I’m the sucker they wanted I guess.

And the keypad is what sold me on the Surface vs another Ipad (I have an ancient ipad 2). I was leery of typing on the Surface cover but once I tried it in store it was really quite good. Even for big hands like mine. And my wife has zero problem with it so I jumped in.

Oh, yeah, the Surface keyboards >>>>>> Any of Apple’s keyboards. Especially since Butterflygate.

The Surface Pro type covers are astounding in that regard. Of course, Microsoft has been making keyboards almost as long as Apple!

Yeah, it’s why I went 128GB with a MicroSD card (256 GB). Was pissed when I found I couldn’t directly install applications to the SD card (but see the workaround above).

My macbook pro’s butterfly keyboard still works fine, as I never actually use it, I always have a mechanical keyboard plugged-in. That’s a good thing, because I find it absolutely horrible to type on. What a piece of unmitigated shit. Frankly I’m surprised Apple keeps trying to make it work.

I’m with you in that. I don’t see any upsides for that stupid keyboard. When I started my new job they gave me a choice of a Mac or Windows laptop and I went with a Surfacebook 2 because of that damn butterfly keyboard on all the new Mac laptops. If they had a normal one I’d have gone for a MacBook Pro for sure.

Once you’ve gone Mechanical, you’ll never go back…

I simply cannot stand ANY non-mechanical keyboards now.

Damn, fancy job. Surface Book 2 costs three times as much as the laptops we get.

Well you’re largely out of luck on laptops there. I just particularly hate the butterfly keyboard, with its tiny travel.

I’ve owned Surface Book 2 15 inch, Thinkpad X1 Extreme (actually a couple of Thinkpads), and the current MacBook Pro 15 inch (i9 with Vega 20). Surface Book 2 had a great keyboard but the base is thick and I didn’t like the hinge (and didn’t really use it as a tablet). Everyone gives the Thinkpad keyboards high marks, but they are too squishy for me across the board and my X1 Extreme sounded like a helicopter taking off at random times.

I owned the first butterfly keyboard on an older MacBook Pro and hated it, vowed to never go back, etc. But I am back with the latest version as my daily driver. That’s probably because everything else I use is Apple. I am OK with the new butterfly keyboard, but look forward to the day when it is not so shallow. But as a mobile device (I took all of the above other options on various trips) the MBP never lets me down. For me eco system > bad keyboard.