Neo Nazis and the Alt Right

Ed Schultz was at CPAC? I guess the realignment is well underway.

Regan: Tear down that wall!

Trump: Walls are big, excellent, I will make the best wall.

Reagan wouldn’t recognize what this clusterfuck has become at this point. Even the most basic stuff like tone is totally different. Where Reagan was all about hope and America being great, Trump is all about how everything is crap and we should be afraid.

Trump is the anti-reagan. He’s the guy who Reagan would stand against.

What’s funny is really that I recently read that Boston Globe piece on how the Babyboomers ruined everything, and it’s funny because it fits in with the Trump idea of “MAGA”. They want to make things great again… they want to turn the clock back to the point… before they were in charge and fucked everything up.

Most useless generation.

I mean while obviously the article plays things slightly for humor through hyperbole, the core premise is one I absolutely agree with, the evidence is all there.

These groups—Klansmen, neo-Nazis, white nationalists—did more than talk and meet and march. They plotted to turn their hatred into violence. “They laid plans to attack courthouses, banks, festivals, funerals, schools, mosques, churches, synagogues, clinics, water-treatment plants, and power grids,” reports the Southern Poverty Law Center. “They used firearms, bombs, C-4 plastic explosives, knives, and grenades.”

This looks interesting:

The Nazi regime preached an ideology of physical, mental, and moral purity. But as Norman Ohler reveals in this gripping new history, the Third Reich was saturated with drugs. On the eve of World War II, Germany was a pharmaceutical powerhouse, and companies such as Merck and Bayer cooked up cocaine, opiates, and, most of all, methamphetamines, to be consumed by everyone from factory workers to housewives to millions of German soldiers. In fact, troops regularly took rations of a form of crystal meth—the elevated energy and feelings of invincibility associated with the high even help to explain certain German military victories.

Drugs seeped all the way up to the Nazi high command and, especially, to Hitler himself. Over the course of the war, Hitler became increasingly dependent on injections of a cocktail of drugs—including a form of heroin—administered by his personal doctor. While drugs alone cannot explain the Nazis’ toxic racial theories or the events of World War II, Ohler’s investigation makes an overwhelming case that, if drugs are not taken into account, our understanding of the Third Reich is fundamentally incomplete.

Carefully researched and rivetingly readable, Blitzed throws surprising light on a history that, until now, has remained in the shadows.

Gueardian Review: High Hitler: how Nazi drug abuse steered the course of history

The book in question is The Total Rush – or, to use its superior English title, Blitzed – which reveals the astonishing and hitherto largely untold story of the Third Reich’s relationship with drugs, including cocaine, heroin, morphine and, above all, methamphetamines (aka crystal meth), and of their effect not only on Hitler’s final days – the Führer, by Ohler’s account, was an absolute junkie with ruined veins by the time he retreated to the last of his bunkers – but on the Wehrmacht’s successful invasion of France in 1940. Published in Germany last year, where it became a bestseller, it has since been translated into 18 languages, a fact that delights Ohler, but also amazes him.

It’s not only that he is – as Der Spiegel helpfully pointed out – a non-historian (the author of three novels and the co-writer of the Wim Wenders film Palermo Shooting, this is his first work of nonfiction). It’s that there was anything new to be said at all. Arrange all the books that have been written about the Nazis end to end and they’d be longer than the Spree.

“I guess drugs weren’t a priority for the historians,” he says. “A crazy guy like me had to come along.”
[…]
The story Ohler tells begins in the days of the Weimar Republic, when Germany’s pharmaceutical industry was thriving – the country was a leading exporter both of opiates, such as morphine, and of cocaine – and drugs were available on every street corner. It was during this period that Hitler’s inner circle established an image of him as an unassailable figure who was willing to work tirelessly on behalf of his country, and who would permit no toxins – not even coffee – to enter his body.

Someone deserves a stern wag of the finger for “rivetingly readable.”

Ugh. My keyboard just caught on fire from typing that. Thanks, Britain.

Spencer also said his group had filed the necessary paperwork to operate as a nonprofit in Virginia. But a spokeswoman for the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, which regulates charities in the state, said Monday that the status of Spencer’s group was under review.

The paperwork trouble at the National Policy Institute, which was registered under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, seems to have started shortly after Spencer took over the organization in 2011 and used it as a vehicle for promoting his “alternative right” beliefs, which include the need for a separate nation for white people.

The National Policy Institute’s website says it is “dedicated to the heritage, identity, and future of people of European descent in the United States, and around the world.”

As Spencer’s profile rose on the national stage in recent years, the National Policy Institute’s nonprofit status allowed his supporters to make tax-deductible donations to support his publications and conferences for white nationalists. One of the National Policy Institute’s events included a November conference in Washington, where Spencer told a crowd, “Hail Trump! Hail our people! Hail victory!” and received Nazi salutes in return.

But as Spencer’s visibility rose on the national stage, there was little corresponding transparency into the National Policy Institute’s finances because the group had stopped filing its required tax returns with the IRS after 2012.

Such tax records for nonprofits, which are available to the public, generally must be filed each year. The forms show how much money an organization makes, how much it spends, how much it pays its officers and who sits on its board, plus other information intended to provide transparency and accountability. Failing to file for three years in a row results in an automatic loss in tax-exempt status.

But for years, the IRS had apparently misclassified the National Policy Institute and publicly listed the group as not being required to file such forms. (An IRS spokeswoman declined to comment for this story, saying “federal law prohibits the IRS from commenting on a particular taxpayer or case.”)

The IRS fixed the error in February, and on Monday it updated its records to say that the National Policy Institute’s tax-exempt status had been stripped retroactively as of May 15, 2016, when the group’s 2015 tax return would have been due.

Spencer cited the IRS error as the reason his group did not file its tax returns. Tax experts said that was no excuse.

“They should have known that they should have been filing,” said Philip T. Hackney, a law professor at Louisiana State University who formerly worked for the IRS, specializing in nonprofits. “It’s very clear under the law that if you don’t file for three years, you lose your status.”

Steve King. Again.

Fuck you, Congressman.

Remember how that old white vet went off at another vet, a black man, in a restaurant because he knew, he knew blacks couldn’t have served in WW2 and of course there hasn’t been any wars since…

People buy into the narrative they want.

Geert Wilders heading for an ass-kicking in the Netherlands.

As much as I would prefer to see the PvdA win, or D66, I am so glad that Geert lost. I wish it was by more and not to a center right party, but hey, any port in a Nazi stormfront…

Although the green party got a lot seats this time round.

Apparently the alt right has decided to down vote Amy Schumer’s new routine on Netflix. Because she doesn’t like Trump, and is a woman, I guess?

I don’t think Netflix works like that. You only see the combined ratings from people relative to things you watch and vote on is my understanding.

They managed to drop its rating down to 1 star currently

I’m getting the same ranking, for what it’s worth, and we probably don’t watch all the same stuff.

Likewise.