Neo Nazis and the Alt Right

This reinforces the argument against “If you can guns, folks will just make explosives!”

Making explosives is too hard for imbeciles to do without killing themselves.

From the same group who has killed at least 5 since 2017.

Paul Nehlen, who was once a semi-serious political guy, losing in a primary to Paul Ryan (by like 70 points), and has since embraced overt anit-semitism and white supremacy, has managed to get himself banned from Gab, which is essentially Nazi Twitter.

Alt-Right, if not necessarily neo nazi (though serious Nazi undertones):

It was about a month before Donald Trump was elected president, and Patrick Stein was in a hilly field in western Kansas near a lake and an outhouse. Stein, a right-wing militia member who thought Trump was “the Man,” dubbed himself “Orkinman.” Muslims were “cockroaches,” he thought, who needed to be exterminated. The weapon dealer he was meeting in this remote field, Stein believed, would help him pick a poison.

“I’m sick of seeing these motherfuckers coming into this country,” Stein told the man, referring to Muslim refugees. “They’re here for one reason and one reason only.” Unless they did something soon, Stein said, the Muslim takeover would begin.

The weapon dealer was an undercover FBI agent. Days later, the feds would indeed snatch Stein up, charging him with a litany of federal offenses in connection with a bomb plot targeting Somali refugees residing in an apartment complex in Garden City.

Well put me down for banning guns as a means to your deadly traps proposal.

That’s pretty hilarious. They say timing is everything.

I still remember that episode. I’ve been exposed to a lot but that was not the only episode of CSI that surprised me when it ventured into some cultures I’ve heard off but not really been around much.

The “Ricky Vaughn” story is a must-read. Far from being an economically anxious midwesterner or a nerdy edgelord living in his mother’s basement, he’s a white nationalist with a gilt-edged background: well connected parents (his dad’s a lobbyist and a former aide to a congressman,) prestigious school - well, Middlebury - and a finance job in Manhattan.

I’m sure we can now expect a hard-hitting expose from the New York Times on why well-connected white NYC financial professionals become white nationalists. Or … maybe they’ll just send another twenty reporters to a diner in the rust belt. Yeah, I’m betting on the second.

Just thought I’d drop some levity, here;

Hey Pat. Your friend Billy wants you to drop by.

These people live in the same trailer court together, right?

This probably doesn’t deserve to go here, and maybe we should have a Europe or at least World events topic. But for now,

This is all kinds of fucked up. Ironic that Hungary’s economy is doing well largely because of EU spending there. But another country slides into autocratic rule.

I posted this here largely due to the blatant racism of Orban and his party.

That’s depressing. I mean, even during relative good times, people still gravitate toward extreme politics.

Good times for whom though? The USA is actually experience a fairly good time if you measure by economic stats… but if you threw a rock into the crowd you’d be bucking the odds if you didn’t hit some boomer who feels their retirement is in jeopardy… if they can retire at all. And if not them, a Millennial drowning in educational debt barely, if at all, able to find a job to pay it and have something to live on.

I’m responding to MrGrumpy, who said Hungary’s economy is doing well.

This isn’t really country specific though, there are several countries that have seen economic improvements but the average Jane or Joe doesn’t feel it. I just used an example.

Well, they’re doing it to themselves, in that case. Things are only going to get worse if they keep doing what they’re doing.

From what I’ve read, which is admittedly not much, Hungary’s situation is less about economics and more about culture. More precisely, fears that the “other” is eroding their “authentic” Hungarian-ness. Or something to that effect. Leaving aside the problematic nature of such exclusionist and narrow constructions of national identity, the entire history of post-USSR Europe east of the Elbe seems to call into question how widespread supposedly universal “Western” values really were or are.