Neo Nazis and the Alt Right

To be fair to Roseanne, she probably thought making that comment was OK in this day and age. And of course Fox News (which I’m surprised is already reporting on this) hits the nail on the head, somehow managing to make this political by insinuating that it could be related to Obama/Clinton/Deep State/etc.

“ABC pulls plug on top-rated hit show hours after comic’s racially charged tweet targeting Obama pal”

Cue Trump tweeting threats about the proposed Disney/FOX merger in 3…2…1

??? There’s no way she could think that was OK, cause it wasn’t an OK thing to say even 30 years ago.

I think he means that Trump has made straight up racism cool again.

Ahhh that makes more sense.

On top of that, I think celebrities in general get a pretty long leash, especially if they’re successful. Add on her obvious mental illness and you have a recipe for disaster. I imagine this was inevitable.

Yep, pretty much that. It’s good to see a network do the right thing though, even if they’re basically forced into it. At least we haven’t reached the point where this sort of thing can just sort of squeak by.

2016+, where racism is cool again as long as you claim conservative voices aren’t heard and anyone who doesn’t like it is just a snowflake. Let’s see if some other network decides to pick it up because in this date in age, I find it pretty much unbelievable that there is a real consequence to stuff like this.

I assume that by "other network you mean “Fox.”

I kinda don’t get it. She’s been a racist asshat for years, but NOW y’all are aghast?

They would be on the list, yes.

Some people have lines further out than mine, but apparently there is a line after all.

Fair point.

Asshat, yes. However, back in the show’s heyday, I think she was viewed as a send-up by many (think All in the Family with Carroll O’Connor, who played a racist trying to deal with changes in society despite him being anything but).

Wow, I had no idea:

O’Connor’s own politics were liberal. He understood the Bunker character and played him not only with bombast and humor, but also with touches of vulnerability. The writing on the show was consistently left of center, but O’Connor often deftly skewered the liberal pieties of the day. Although Bunker was famous for his malapropisms of the English language, O’Connor was highly educated and cultured and was an English professor[citation needed] before he turned to acting.

I mean… most of us were aghast long before this. Just not the people at ABC.

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1001530837635022848

Asshat, sure, more or less. But is there a racism incident from her past that I’m forgetting?

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1001504796967358471