Neo Nazis and the Alt Right

Oddly enough, I’ve seen an uptick in my use of “uneducated white trailer trash” since probably last fall. Been part of my vernacular since I was 12 or so, but that’s mainly due to living in SW Ohio (one guy I work with lives right outside of Columbus and even he occasionally throws out the, “WTF is wrong with people around here [work]?”.

Bingo. I spent much of my time as a youth growing up in army housing or in lower-middle class neighborhoods in the South. Many folks I knew lived in mobile homes; we often lived in rather shabby cookie cutter apartment complexes, only a step or so up. My neighbors today are a mix of affluent retirees, and Yankee versions of good ol’ boys, with ramshackle old houses and yards full of rusted…stuff. They’re all pretty cool people.

What we should be doing is asking ourselves, if we find it bad people are living in conditions we feel are that bad, what’s the reason for it? Too many times people just say, “oh, they’re lazy,” or “oh, they’re too stupid to do well in today’s economy.” That’s no different than the people who call immigrants or African-Americans or Hispanic-Americans lazy or whatnot. And no, individual anecdotes of the “I know these rednecks who sit around all day drinking cheap bear and collecting welfare” do not count as evidence-based arguments. There are always people, of all classes, who are wastes of oxygen, but that’s sort of endemic to the human condition.

Hell, we used to celebrate humble origins. Now, we use humble surroundings as evidence of a lack of social worth. The people who should be de-emphasizing pure material success as a barometer of social worth are now reinforcing it.

Not directed personally at anyone here; I have no idea whether the specific people being discussed are good, bad, or indifferent. I just don’t see the connection between living in a mobile home, and, well, anything else.

Because he is a piece of shit who claims to be superior to other people, despite being objectively NOT in every way.

Fuck that guy. I’m absolutely going to point out the obvious incongruity in what he is claiming and what he actually is. That being a poor, out of shape white loser of lower than average intelligence.

Instead of bettering himself, he attempts to acquire an unfair advantage based on his skin tone. While, laughably, claiming that others are doing this.

He gets no pity from me. He is a worthless piece of shit. He is the archetype of white trash.

Maybe it’s because he’s expending a ton of effort in denigrating other races?

Not defending that dude–don’t know who he is–and as my post indicated, my comments were general, not specific. But even so, if the guy is an asshole, call him an asshole. The fact he lives in a trailer is utterly irrelevant.

Not when he’s promoting some inherent superiority based on ethnicity and agitating for the support of elected officials and nominees who’ll set policy that specifically benefits whites to the detriment of others all while claiming to be a conservative.

Some dude attacks people with a machete.

In the event, the two-hour protest proceeded raucously but peacefully under a hot sun, the sides separated by barriers and lines of state police officers.

The neo-Nazis were more than an hour late to their own rally. The anti-fascists arrived early, leaving them to shout at a mostly empty and fenced-off plaza, in which there were only a handful of neo-Confederates from the League of the South, a racist group that according to the Southern Poverty Law Center still favours Southern secession.

“If fascists make the trains run on time, where are your people?” the “antifa” jeered at 3pm, an hour after the demonstration was supposed to start.

A few minutes later, more than 100 neo-Nazis marched into town, carrying guns, homemade painted shields and a fasces, the icon of fascism, made from a bundle of wooden dowels and an axe. Most wore black pants and black shirts with black combat boots, although some had to settle for black sneakers. Asked why the group was late, one leader said something about car trouble.

How does that relate to where he lives? Unless being in a trailer is equivalent to being white? I am not following the logic. He certainly sounds like a piece of work though.

The fact that he lives in a rusted out trailer means that he is in fact not some superior human being.

Timex nails it. He’s hardly the poster child for the manifested bennies of white nationalism.

I understand Wombat’s point though. It’s not particularly nice to refer to other people as trailer trash, and doesn’t exactly elevate local or national dialogue.

Yeah, I’m not really too broken up about denigrating a fucking Nazi.
He’s fucking white trash.

He is white, and he is human trash. His life is without merit. If he died, the world would be better off. Fuck him.

And this is how we should treat all Nazis. Call them what they are. Ostracize then from society. Ruin their lives.

Actually, I’ve heard from some black people (including my sister’s ex-boyfriend) that the term “white trash” carries with it the implication that “normal” white people are somehow exalted (presumably vs. black people) and that it originated in the American Southeast with that implication. FWIW.

I’ve always thought along these lines. Basically it starts from the assumption that all non-whites are trash, therefor these white people are special in that they are also trash.

But at the end of the day the meaning has mostly changed. Everyone uses it, even white trash themselves in reference to themselves. People like Trae Crowder (Liberal Redneck) use it and obviously without any of the implied racism of the probable origin.

Got a Marine buddy who sometimes talks about some of the “whiskey tangos” he served with. Took me a minute to figure out what he meant.

Hey Timex, you seem to be unaware that the way you talk about neo-nazis is as bad as the way they talk about the various groups of people that they hate.

You might want to consider that for a while, before continuing to vomit up your hate online, just as they are wont to do.

Yeah, I hate Nazis. I do not apologize for it.

Here’s the difference that you may be missing, as it’s subtle:
For me to stop hating them, they just need to abandon their Nazi beliefs that various other groups are inferior and undeserving of rights. Simply accepting other human beings have rights is all it takes for me to treat them with respect.

In contrast, a black person cannot simply stop being black, and then Nazis will treat them with respect. A Jew cannot simply stop being Jewish.

Maybe you think there is equivalence here. I do not. And I do not care if you do. Nazis are beneath contempt, and do not deserve the respect that their fundamental beliefs would deny others.

Erm, ok; if one is exalting oneself over others I suppose it’s logical to assume the outward manifestations of such superiority would match the rhetoric. But, really, that’s such a minor thing, and it still assumes that superiority correlates to material success. I don’t buy it. If he lived in a mansion, would you then give his claims of superiority more credence? Seems…odd. That’s just me, though.

And again, this creep is the last dude I’d be defending per se. But like the ACLU and the Nazis in Skokie, I feel we have to play by the rules in dealing with people like this, or they win by default.

Here in rural PA, where I live, these bitches are coming out of the woodwork. You’re seeing them in public places, like Trump’s rallies, which is not something you would have seen years ago. Previously, these Nazis were, rightfully, ostracized as the monsters they are. They were shamed and mocked for their bullshit. It was common knowledge that Nazis were loser douchebags who couldn’t hack it as normal people. They were basically all criminals and psychopaths.

Now, Trump has emboldened them and there is some kind of fucked up normalization of their bullshit taking place.

I say fuck that noise. Shame these bitches for the trash they are.

There is equivalence, because you’re talking about and want them to be treated the way they talk about minorities and want minorities to be treated.

There is no difference there beyond the fact you think it’s justifiable to be an awful human being because the targets of your hate and vitriol are awful human beings.

I’m not missing any difference, it just appears that I understand morality to a degree that it seems you are utterly incapable of.

It’s a shame that you come from a country where the likes of Thurgood Marshall and MLK made note that fighting hatred with hatred was doomed to failure, it just makes your childishness and dearth of morality all the more disappointing.