Neo Nazis and the Alt Right

Here’s a weird one:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/police-man-slays-neo-nazi-roommates-over-islam-disrespect/2017/05/22/97a97a58-3f14-11e7-b29f-f40ffced2ddb_story.html

Briefly: an 18-year Tampa guy old got deeply into the whole neo-Nazi, white supremacist scene and moved in with three other guys with the same sort of beliefs.

Then, he apparently converted to Islam (?!), got pissed off at his roommates’ racist attitudes, and gunned two of them down. He then went across the street to a smoke shop and held a few people hostage at gunpoint while complaining about the US bombing Muslim countries.

It’s just a hunch, but I think this kid might have some issues.

He’s like an angry harry potter with better eyesight.

Looks like the new Spider-Man.

That’s the problem with hanging out with political extremists. There are so many personality disorders, it’s hard to pick out the incipient schizophrenia.

But this goes back to the narrative that if it’s a young white man, he’s a lone wolf with mental problems. If it’s anyone else, it’s something else.

This is definitely a weird one. They should be checking out anyone who hung out with these guys too.

Why aren’t all the white people condemning this guy’s actions?!

Nice!

Right because if we ask the question, why do we look into the past like he’s got mental problems when he’s white but start using the word terrorism and look for groups if he is not white and might be Muslim… questioning that assumption is sometimes bad?

They should look into both in great depth, but the assumptions trigger almost immediately.

You mean “Radicalized Muslim terror suspect slaughters two young white men in their home!”

Because of course he is.

Those people our government aren’t watching anymore because the only terrorists are brown.

The guy to his left is wearing a (blue) MAGA hat.

I know I know we said punching is ok or not ok etc when it comes to Nazis, but if it’s not Halloween and you see a guy seig heiling and wearing an American flag while shouting at people, the proper response is just to open fire.

Fuck these people.

Great ain’t it? We get a story like this every week, but they aren’t worth watching.

So glad you quoted me so I could see that glaring typo. :) Fixed

From the looks of his socmedia Christian was a Bernie Sanders supporter, I can’t imagine Christians part of the Venn diagram is very big, as civil rights campaigners aren’t usually known for white supremacy.

socmedia

He was/is white supremacy and seems unlikely to vote for a woman. His social media posts were escalating but did anyone notice or did they just not care?

I can’t imagine another crazy, conspiracy driven, gun toting, libertarian ranting on Facebook is going to stand out from the crowd of crazy, conspiracy driven, gun toting, libertarians tbh, a needle in a haystack made of needles.

Reporter for Forbes (!) who covers anti-government extremists.
https://twitter.com/jjmacnab

According to her twitter feed, Christian has a long list of priors - and his social media posts are beyond reprehensible. If this kind of thing is common on Facebook than (speaking metaphorically) sweet jesus.