Neo Nazis and the Alt Right

For the fourth year in a row, the Southern Poverty Law Center, a civil rights organization that tracks hate groups, reports that hate and domestic extremism are rising in an unabated trend. The center found a 30 percent increase in U.S. hate groups over the past four years and a 7 percent increase in hate groups in 2018 alone, according to the center’s annual “Year in Hate and Extremism” report. The group designated 1,020 organizations as hate groups in 2018, a high of at least 20 years.

The watchdog group blames President Trump, his administration, right-wing media outlets and the ease of spreading hate on social media platforms for the alarming increase. The growth, it says, is largely driven by “hysteria over losing a white-majority nation to demographic change.”

“The numbers tell a striking story — that this president is not simply a polarizing figure but a radicalizing one,” Heidi Beirich, director of the SPLC’s Intelligence Project, said in a statement. “Rather than trying to tamp down hate, as presidents of both parties have done, President Trump elevates it — with both his rhetoric and his policies. In doing so, he’s given people across America the go-ahead to to act on their worst instincts.”

Well, he’s still innocent until proven guilty legally, but it’s sounding more and more like this really was all a crazy hoax.

A report on CNN says that the cops think he did it to try and get a higher salary.

It’s horrible when this type of stuff is done in a misguided attempt to advance a cause. It’s even worse if he did it for personal gain.

He’s going to set back the cause of legitimate victims and arm the extreme right. All that as a salary negotiation tactic? If true, he should go away for years and years.

This is what I’m honestly most upset about right here, if the allegations prove to be true.

Yup this. Wonder what would have happened if they bought his story and apprehended a couple of suspects, would be have been happy to send some innocent people away knowing full well they didn’t do it? Maybe he didn’t think that far ahead.

We have one story where a guy planned to mass murder as many people as humanly possible with as many weapons as possible, and a white supremacist part of a hate group, and we have another where one black man, an asshole, screwed himself over and fed lies to the public for a role on TV and somehow… both of these are getting similar coverage.

No. If this sets back legit complaints, it’s because the public wants it set back. Just like every other race on the planet, minorities have selfish and bad members too. If he did this, his career is over, he’ll probably serve time, end of story. We have a parent almost every year concoct fake reasons why their children disappear, get the public riled up to find them, and then they wind up in jailing for killing them. Guess what, we still look for children when someone says they’e missing.

Certain (ahem) occasional posters here will inevitably pop in to claim that what this idiot Smollett appears to have done is just as bad as what this wacko Coast Guard dude was apparently planning, because “all sides.”

Why are we trying to compare the two? Both suck and one doesn’t excuse or mitigate the other.

As to equal coverage, it isn’t just about race—Smollet is a celebrity. Why does Kim Kardashian get more coverage than a ton of other things? I highly suspect that if some no name, angsty gay black dude did this that it wouldn’t have received anywhere near the coverage.

I will agree with Nesrie’s point that this ultimately comes back to the public (as almost all things do): the media’s coverage of the Smollet story lines up with what the public craves—sensational celebrity news. I don’t see any sign that the media, in general, is pushing this story harder due to their own agenda, rather than public demand.

You make a good point about his celebrity, but you can bet that the crowd that denigrates the SPLC will be comparing the two cases, implying that real White Supremacist domestic terrorism is overblown because “look at this!”

Absolutely. Which is why Smollet pisses me off and the damage he does with this goes beyond just his life.

Literally the only way they could do that is to ignore the attempted mass murder by the other guy… which goes back to my point. These are not equal at all but the racists and everything is fine crowd will try to pretend the other one didn’t just happen.

This should change nothing, and if it is does, it’s on them, not him.

I think we’re violently agreeing here. The two cases are not comparable in their seriousness.

The whataboutism is strong with them.

If it wasn’t Smollett, it would be something else. At least Smollett allows you to point how fucking stupid they are considering the severity of the two episodes. Rest assured they have some other thing in their backpack for it anyway, they always do. Usually it’s some obscure local story, but they’ll have it.

I don’t think the whataboutism is the biggest damage from Smollet. The extreme right doesn’t care about defending coast guard guy. Hell, as Nesrie has pointed out, the public is sort of numb to it.

Smollet’s major damage is the next time a gay black man gets beat up, harassed, etc. Smollet will be raised to say, well, maybe/probably it’s a false accusation. Coast guard guy will be long forgotten by then, but Smollet won’t be.

Oh, I agree.

And that’s the public’s choice, that’s what they want, that is not on Smollet. There are millions of Smollets out there, but for some reason, because Smollet is black that changes is everything… except it doesn’t. If a woman drives her kid over a cliff, we still help the next mother who says her kids are missing because to do otherwise is unthinkable. It doesn’t matter how many mothers or father’s lied before them.

This dude needs to be crucified, just like bad cops need to be.

If he lied, I believe he is going to go to jail. I don’t think anyone here has said otherwise.

You keep ignoring the celebrity angle. There are not millions of Smollets out there. Yes, celebrity fascination is “the public’s choice”, but you might as well rail against why the sky is blue.

To be clear, I’m not arguing for Smollet being punished more for being a celebrity—it’s just that the damage is greater because he is. The whole celebrity as some sort of role model should be it’s own other thread.