New American Godzilla Movie

What’s that? Something new, or another creature from previous Godzilla films? From just the trailer I’d have believed you if you told me it was Godzilla vs. the Cloverfield monster, with the shots of those talon/arm things.

No idea! That’s the fun part. Though I’ve started to see some discussion and am just trying to avoid all of it regarding just what exactly is going on.

— Alan

So much red in this movie. I wonder if they did that for the Asian market?

They’ve shown a flying creature in other clips so it would seem there is more than one monster. Maybe an update on Rodan.

I believe someone earlier mentioned that the plot synopsis calls for an additional breed of monsters to appear alongside Godzilla. I would imagine this is an example of one of those. However, if it does turn out to be Rodan, my 12 year old self will be overjoyed.

According to this, the MUTO’s are the result of government experiments (and what the Brian Cranston character accuses them of “hiding out there”) and Godzilla is nature’s corrective. I also get the sense that it’s the MUTO’s who were hidden in the desert and destroy Vegas and that Godzilla comes in from the ocean and stomps San Francisco. We’ll see.

I think Godzilla is actually Cranston’s wife! Dun-dun-DUN

Possibly, but it’s Cranston himself in the suit, getting back to his roots.

It won’t. As has been stated many times, Godzilla is the only Toho monster in this film.

Wasn’t that the plot of one of the more recent Gamera movies? World was plagued by Rodans and Gamera was the created/born/came into being to cleanse the world of the Rodans?

You’re going to have to tell my 12 year old self this. I don’t envy you. Kid’s a brat.

It’s not called Rodan, but it is a big giant flying reptilian-looking thing. Pretty much Rodan in everything but name.

— Alan

Also… can’t get enough of Godzilla? Watch this classic:

— Alan

The 1954 Godzilla is on Amazon Prime so I put that up on my second screen while playing WoW. Man I can’t wait for this.

So I’m pretty excited for this movie and there’s a bunch of Godzilla movies streaming for free on Crackle. I decided to randomly start with Godzilla: Final Wars tonight after work.

So far it has been one of the most insanely stupid things I have ever seen. I don’t even know if I’m enjoying it. I think I am. I usually love stupid things. But mostly I’m just sitting here with my jaw hanging open while people have wire-fu fights while a camera whips around them in a circle at 80 mph or they do backflips while shooting laser guns at a giant lobster. Also there are aliens. Aliens with sunglasses who just declared the United Nations to be the Space Nations.

Madness!

Fortunately, the power rangers take a backseat over the last hour of the film. The Aliens in sunglasses never stop being awesome, though.

Final Wars ended up being a lot of fun. Complete nonsense, but fun nonsense. The battles at the end with Godzilla fighting a ton of monsters (and killing the shit of the 98 American movie Zilla) were really cool. Will definitely watch again at some point. I also ended up watching a couple more movies from the early 2000s. S.O.S Tokyo and All Out Monster Attack, or something like that. Both were lots of fun and made a bit more sense than Final Wars.

I had no idea there were so many Godzilla movies I hadn’t seen or that the series had such a weird continuity. There are at least three individual Godzillas that have appeared in the movies and some have died. Most of the 90s and 2000s stuff seems to acknowledge that the original Godzilla died at the end of the first movie. Mechagodzilla was even built on his bones in one of the movies I watched and the 1985 Godzilla appears to have died in the mid to late 90s. I think. Anyway, there’s lots of stuff to dig into leading up to the new movie.

Yep, Showa, Heisei, Millenium are the 3 continuities, with the original film basically serving as an origin point for each. Otherwise the 3 continuities don’t overlap outside of including (1) Godzilla (2) some of the more famous Godzilla foes/friends (King Gidorah, Gigan, Mothra, Mechagodzilla). The continuities don’t refer back to previous ones; just back to 1954. The role/nature of some of the big players shifts from series to series, and sometimes from movie to movie (Mechagodzilla was an alien-created machine of destruction designed to help subjugate Earth in Showa, e.g.).

If you like Kaiju movies, I recommend you check out Gareth Edwards’ Monsters.

Cool, just looked up Monsters and it’s streaming on Amazon Prime. I’ll have to look later and see if they have more of these later Godzilla movies.

Monsters is pretty good. I caught it a few years ago and don’t remember much other than liking it at the time. It may go on the schedule for a rewatch in the near future but right now I’m enjoying the silliness of the Japanese stuff. Last night was Godzilla 2000. The most serious one so far, but that isn’t saying much. I thought the alien space thing was pretty lame. It got cooler when it became an actual monster but still not very exciting.

At the end the hero says, “I think there’s a Godzilla in all of us,” or something pretty close to that. God damn, I’m enjoying this stuff.